Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What kind of CYA would you like to read?

7 months ago

Any suggestions welcome. 

7 months ago

Murder hobos doing a brony genocide 

Normal suggestion: grave robbers digging up Nazi memorabilia for a living

7 months ago
Commended by mizal on 9/20/2023 10:56:31 AM

You shouldn't base what you write off something other people want to read. If you do that then you either won't finish it or it'll be bad. Writing something that you didn't chose is miserable most of the time. You may get a decent amount in, but after a while if you're writing about something that you didn't particularly care about in the first place, it makes it hard for you to want to keep going or put much effort into it in the first place. 

Writing is fun, but a huge part of writing, whether that's non-fiction or fiction, is the ability to express yourself and your creative side. Writing is so awesome because you can do whatever the hell you want with it and you have creative liberties. Even with things like journalism and research papers, you can pick a topic that you're truly interested in so even the research is engaging and worthwhile to you. 

I know that some people are worried about how other people will receive their work and therefore try to write what they think other people will like, but here's the thing. You'll never get everybody to like your stuff. If you'll never get everybody to like your stuff anyway, then why write something for that very purpose? I know that you're thinking that you want it to be received well, and okay, I can totally get that. However, writing about the stuff you like will inevitably make the story much better written because you're willing to put more work into it, and you also just enjoy it more and can have more fun with it. 

Here's the thing about good writing: If it's good then people will read it anyway. You've probably read things that wouldn't interest you at all but the way it was written made you want to keep reading or at the very least made it slightly more bearable. Plus, you never know if the things you like are the things that other people will like as well. This is such a small community of nerds who like to write that if you've stayed in here for as long as you have, then odds are that the things you like are things other people here will like as well. 

The last thing is, in the end of it all, even if you finish a work and it's good and whatever that you don't like, then what's the point? When it really comes down to it in this life, all that really matters is how you feel about what you've done. Did you do what you wanted to do? Honestly, just do what you want to do (within reason) and have fun with your writing, because that's what this place is. It's a hobby site, it's meant for writing for fun. Nobody even knows who you are irl, except for ford, so it doesn't matter for anything important anyway.

tldr: stop asking for other ideas and just write what you want to write otherwise your story will be shit

7 months ago
obtain a belt.

flutter, I would like to read a edutainment game where I can learn about every bone and pain receptor by torturing people and the goal is to cause as much pain as possible without having them die meanwhile theres an overarching storyline that slowly paints me in a good light as someone doing this for the betterment of humanity.

7 months ago
Anything with farts is probably going to at least be funny

7 months ago
I can’t tell if I should applaud this comment or not.

7 months ago
Write what you like, and based on your avatar that’s MLP. If you’re blanking on inspiration why not that or something else horse based if you’re into horses?

7 months ago

The user you're responding to is basically dead at this point 

7 months ago
My bad, saw the post was recent.

7 months ago
Flutter is still around, he's always active kind of sporadically and he logged in two days ago. I know I haven't been paying as much attention to the forum lately but I'd notice any kind of dramatic departure.

Oh, and for the sake of the new guy: Ford is trolling and not an actual serial killer. (Yet.) (That we knpw of.)

He probably doesn't remember even making that post.

7 months ago

Ah, I see

My apologies

7 months ago

I believe Flutter submitted an entry to MHD's recent contest also.

7 months ago
Maybe she confused him with that Cooltard kid and assorted alts.

7 months ago
I thought they were all bots, myself included.

7 months ago

He was too annoying to be a bot, and his writing was not up to bot standards.  

7 months ago
Being the head of a cult secretly drugging truck stop coffee makers to make certain demographics of people very suggestible