Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Nation Signup

12 years ago

I talked about it briefly in the survivor thread, but I'll post it again here and add a thing or two that I forgot to go over.

You start the game by picking a country and color, and then you're free to do basically whatever you want (it will take time though.). This is probably the best thing about the game. Want to be the leader of the Nazi Party that has taken over Egypt? You can do that. Want to make Cthulhu worship the primary religion of your counrty? Feel free. Want to build a Death Star that destroys the world? If you have the time and money, go ahead. The only things that are stopping you are three factors, each of which you can alter in the game through your decisions.

The decisions you make can influence the entire world, as in real life. I've literally seen an entire game go from perfectly peaceful among the "superpowers" (those that have people controlling them) to America getting EMPd by Switzerland, which causes power to go out in mainland USA (and Northern Mexico), agriculture to fail due to improper irrigation without electricity, and nuclear reactors to go haywire and malfunction when they can't keep the nuclear material stable. The malfuctions then lead to meltdowns, which lead to radiation entering the land, which kills crops, and into the atmosphere, which lowers temperatures. The lower temperatures then cause a nuclear winter due, in no small part due to the impending natural winter (not the best time for a meltdown) and huge ice sheets envelop the northern and southern poles, causing yet another ice age. And all this because the US told Brazil not to invade Argentina. Funny how things work out, huh?

The decisions you make will also be revealed in the world report which occurs at the beginning of each turn. You can ask to keep things secret, but if you're working on something huge, chances are that rumors will make their way onto the world report, even if they don't say exactly what you're planning. However, smaller things are seldom noticed, and then usually only if they fail.

You have a military, GDP (basically economy) and tech.

Military is devided into two classes, Size and Quality. Size ranges from none to all-consuming and Quality ranges from peasant to invincible. When you invade a country, I consider your size and quality vs. theirs, even if there is technically nobody controlling them. If they are "nuetral", then I will just take how they reacted in the past and try to devise a scenario out of that. Of course, if you increase in size, chances are you will decrease in quality unless you do it right. If you force everybody between the ages of 18 and 35 to join your army, chances are your military size will become huge, but your quality will drop drastically because your basically just arming civilians at this point. Not to mention the blow your economy will take after losing a huge chunk of it's work force.

Which brings me to the next subject, GDP. In laymen's terms, GDP is basically your economy. It ranges from Lowest to Highest. Having a low economy probably won't cause you to lose the game in the first few turns, but can eventually lead to your nation's collapse if things don't go your way. It also causes you to wait longer if you're working on some pretty high-tech stuff. Chances are, if Switzerland and Somalia try to build a communications satelite, Switzerland will make it first.

Now the only thing to discuss is tech. Tech is basically what you're country is working on. If you want to work on an anti-ballistics system (happened in the first round) to keep your nation relatively save from nukes, so be it. If you want to work on a cleaner form of fuel, by all means go ahead. If you want lasers mounted to weasels to make a new fighting force (actually happened last game, but they settled for bombs strapped to weasels when lasers took too long), no one's gonna stop you.But once again, tech is limited by your economy. You can certainly work on laser weapons if you wish, but working on a more effective type of ammunition will probably be better for a low-income country. Tech trading is perfectly acceptable, you can either exchange it for somehting of value, or simply give it to people you like. Of course, you can also hoard all the tech you possibly can untill you build enough bomb shelters to not care when you nuke the world

You can increase or decrease any of those three  factors through your decisions, so be sure to think about the consequences of your actions before you submit your turn. You will send me your turn via PM, and from their I will write down everyone's turn and decide how it affects the world combined to everyone else's turn. Feel free to send me add-ons to your turn if you forgot something, but if you could, do it ASAP because the longer you wait the more I have to do at one time, and the longer it will probably take. Feel free to roleplay if you want (if you want  to be a cruel dictator, feel free to act like it in the thread) just remember that this is a game and try not to be offended if you either get invaded or feel insulted by the person's "character".

To signup, just post the country you want and the color below, I'm working on a bit of the technical stuff right now, so I'll post the map when I can.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
America. Red.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Iceland (duh) and...hmmm...how about white? That's a rather icy colour, right? Yeah, I'll pick white.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Additionally, where do we start off? Do we have to invent catapults, housing, wheels and such, or do we start off in a more modern world?

Nation Signup

12 years ago

France. Blue.

Nation Signup

12 years ago

We start off in modern times then go from there. I can't give you white because that's the color of the nations that people aren't playing, but I can look for a  light blue.

Nation Signup

12 years ago

Wait, are you expecting 196 people to play, Bo? ;p

Nation Signup

12 years ago

No, the nations that are people controlled will be known as superpowers, and they are the ones who's news makes it onto the global report. White nations do a little acting too (some even invade if pushed too far), but what they do is purely up to me, and I'll try to base it off foreign events.

Sorry for the delay, now that we have 3 players we can go ahead, but I'd rather wait for 4 while I get all the technical stuff down.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Umm... Sindri the Wikipedia page I brought up says Iceland has no standing army. I might be able to throw you one and make it miniscule, but I have to give it a low quality as well. I'll keep researching because I have a thing about Wikipedia page alterations, but in the meantime you might want to reconsider your choice.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Oh, and they have a bad economy. Basically, if you pick this nation you're screwed.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Okay, how about Germany?

Nation Signup

12 years ago
And green.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Nothing that a little white paint can't fix, Iceland might look a little blue on the edges, but just don't look at it untill someone takes it over.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
I'm just gonna let you know before you see it, Germany's borders may look a little... off. It looks really small on the world map I have, and so I had to just use the fill function, so it doesn't extend all the way to your borders, but I'll count them as yours anyway. If I risked it would look deformed and stretched into France, not to mention the ocean and a couple other countries.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
What? I mean play as Germany. With the color green.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
I know, I'm just saying that your colour isn't going to fully extend to your borders. It's not a big deal, I just tought you should know.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Alrighty then. How many do we have?

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Starting Map starting map, coloring to be made later

Nation Signup

12 years ago

Hey Bo, can you wait until we have like 6-7 people? It would really make it more interesting. And besides, we still have time to wait for the people working on the contest. Only about a week or so. However, if we get 6-7 early, that would be awesome too.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
I'm willing to wait a few days, but I'll automatically start it if we hit 6

Nation Signup

12 years ago
People can actually join once the game has already started, but I actually doubt that we'll get 6 players. I hope to increase membership by a few more guys, but you don't actually need that many.

Also, the map I posted turned out to be from the backup, which I deleted.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Why don't you ask to get the original version of the map from CJay or Fish.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
I did, it's this fun thing where you right click on a pic and save it to your library

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Also the new national Athena of the US is

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Erudite, the contest is likely going to be extended

Nation Signup

12 years ago
got it, Lee Greenwood is the new Godess of wisdom

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Goddess* ;)

Nation Signup

12 years ago

China, Orange

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Lately, I've been a lurker here. Just quietly making my little story game a few pages a day. But this game really caught my interest! I think I might finally speak up in the forum.

I'd like to play but I've got to know what the point is. I mean, can someone win? Can we lose? Do we have to play realistically or can our nation really summon an Elder God or build moon-sized space stations? Do we have absolute control of our countries or do we have domestic opposition?

Nation Signup

12 years ago
For all intents and purposes you, sir, are a dictator regardless of government type. Your word is law, a few of your decisions may not be popular with your citizens but I havn't seen anyone actually rebel yet.

And last game Ukraine summoned the dark lord Cthulhu through a rip in the space-time continueum created by their failed time travel project and Australia trained an army of explosive weasels to invade New Zealand, if that answers your questions.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
lol

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Well, it answers most of my questions. Enough to sell me on the game, that is. But is there a point beyond just having fun? Fun is plenty enough reason for me to play, don't get me wrong, but it's always nice to plan for a victory if there's a victory to be had!

So, umm, sign me up for Saudi Arabia, then. That's a nice, middle-of-the-map kinda country. And I suppose my color should be yellow.

Nation Signup

12 years ago

Thats not acutally a bad nation to choose. They spend a larger % of there income on there miliatary than any other nation. They are in the top ten for money spent on there miliatary. At leaste from the information I found.

Nation Signup

12 years ago

I shall play this >:D

Nation Signup

12 years ago

I will play as England with a dark blue color

Nation Signup

12 years ago
UK with Light blue it is, I Erudite has Dark Blue

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Well I would say we lost last game. We basically had a suicide party but yeah it is fun. Glad it got you in the forums.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Unfortunately any scenario I can devise usign nukes will result in a "loss". If nobody used nukes and just treated the meltdowns, the icesheets probably wouldn't have gone Omnomnom on Europe.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
I was backed into a corner you should have read my rant I made. I was POed.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
That's six, thread underway. Just send me a PM for anyone wanting to jump in later.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Wait! I want to be Russia! Not Germany! And a kind of dark red.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
You are going to have to stick with this one.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
I will. Russia is awesome.

Nation Signup

12 years ago

Bo is probably already setting all the stuff up. So its to late. Germany is probably better off than russia anyways. Russia's economy sucks.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Aw. :(

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Sorry Sin, Germany it is. It's not that bad, you have relatively good stats.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
Alright, Germany is fine too.

Nation Signup

12 years ago
You remembered to color in Hawaii and Alaska right?