Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

Here's a list of story ideas I've had at various times. Most of these are just in outline format. And since I don't know if I'll ever get to them, here they are if someone else wants to try to do something with them.

1. Inmate (AKA Prison)- Protagonist is an inmate in a prison. I was going to include various aspects like a mental ward, chain gang work detail, escapes, gladiator matches, riots, etc. You can get around the name designation thing to by just referring to the protagonists prison number though I'm sure other inmates would give you more colorful nicknames. Its a pretty good story candidate for those long passages of time to pass as well.

Given that in real life pretty much ALL prisoners tend to racially segregate themselves by race (Usually due to gang affiliations and such) I decided if I did this story, I'd make it fantasy based to avoid the whole race by color issue or rather keep it, but just substitute fantasy races instead. (Orcs hang out together, humans hang out together, etc) plus by making it fantasy based I could add weird stuff like a special place where they keep demons and wizards locked up and the already mentioned gladiator matches.

Obviously it doesn't have to be a fantasy setting, could be a scifi setting or a modern setting if you want more realism.

2. Routine- I actually did work on this story for a contest (Which got changed and I scrapped it and worked on something better), but again, I dunno when I'm going to have time to go back to it. Most likely never.

The concept was to create that typical "you wake up" beginning where you go about mundane things, but a whole week of that. Of course the premise also was it wasn't going to be a typical week.

Each day was going to have one outlandish thing that could happen to you. These things got progressively worse with each passing day. Monday for example would just be simple boredom. By wednesday there'd be a serial killer in the area, friday was going to be a zombie apocalypse outbreak, and finally it was all going to end on sunday with doomsday.

The other challenge was the game never officially had an end to it. Basically you couldn't actually die in the story (save for the last day) Naturally I had to think of creative ways to loop everything. Get hit by a car? You go to the hospital and remain a vegetable and you just get a looping link that just continued with "Inhale" "Exhale" (Your Routine)

Get bit by a zombie? You never actually get eaten, you would always manage to escape, but inevitably turn into one and also get stuck somewhere. So all you'd get is a linking loop that had you going through your boring zombie life of trying to get out of a pit or something similar (Again, your routine)

Other routines included going to jail or a mental ward. Those were a little more elaborate "loops" that could actually lead to even smaller loops (like getting beat so bad you were in a coma, inhale/exhale again). Even had a time travel loop where you could actually go back to the beginning of story.

Anyway not sure how anyone else would do it, but have at it if you want.

3. Restless (AKA Malevolent)- Protagonist is a malevolent spirit haunting a house over the course of several years.

Powers would be based on how the protagonist died, suicide, murdered, and execution

Suicide- created an aura of severe depression in people who lived in the house. Basically you would be to trying to get as many people to "join you." as possible. You couldn't possess objects. You could influence, but not really possess people. Your power didn't extend too far outside from where you actually killed yourself.

Positivity and living people standing up to you would decrease your power. You actually "won" by being destroyed, since you want oblivion rather than "moving on."

Murdered- created an aura of fear and panic in people. You would be driving people away from the house. You could possess objects to scare people, but not actually possess people.

Your power was very strong where you were murdered, but was only average elsewhere, though it did extend outside to property grounds.

Cynical attitudes and people standing up to you lessened your power. Getting put to "rest" was the win here. Basically getting your bones/remains a proper burial.

Execution- This wasn't a proper execution, but rather one by vigilante justice. You were a rotten character while you were alive and you're a rotten character in death. Your aura creates a feeling of paranoia and rage and you could actually kill someone directly if you got powerful enough via possession (Crashing a chandelier on someone's head) . Power level was very strong where you died and average everywhere else on property grounds. If you actually managed to possess someone you could cause mayhem off property grounds as well.

Calm attitudes and people standing up to you lessened your power. You "won" by getting revenge on the decedents of those that originally killed you.

Religious characters and exorcisms naturally affected all the spirits. Also there would be "psychics" and ghost hunter types that would pop up that you could mess with as well. Might even be other spirits that appeared due to one of the living bumbling around trying to get rid of or contact you and opening up another portal to the spirit world instead.

Finally there would also be a fourth option where you could play as a demon rather than a human spirit. The demon option had more power than any of the others and had particularly cruel options to torment the living. The demon was more negatively affected by holy people though.

You "won" by creating as much damage to humanity as possible. The more lives you destroyed the better! cool

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

... Just one time, I'd love to see you write a story about hugs, rainbows, butterflies and fluffy little kittens cheeky

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

You mean like this?

Photobucket

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

Addressing a fantasy-based perspective on your first outline, I think it would be a very interesting idea to incorporate some of the prison and jail culture we see and hear from various media into a story.

Imagine how much more dangerous improvised weapons could become with the addition of magic? Would it be worth joining a xenophobic human gang who are secretly supplied by a magic-sensitive inmate at the cost of losing the diverse drug running prison gang who'd supply more economic and protective opportunities?

Not to mention there's that whole corrupt or abusive prison guards who'd overlook a violent gladiatorial match just to see one criminal kick the crap out of the other. Gee there's a whole lot you could do with that idea!

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

Restless sounds the best out of all of these, though I wonder how it would be structured.

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

Restless sounds like a hassle to make, but it also sounds like a -lot- of fun to play. I do hope you reconsider -not- doing it, but even so, if someone else gets around to it, please let me know. I'd love to see it done. My two little story monsters-in-the-works are still gnawing on my ankles, so I'm afraid I would be very hesitant to try it myself.

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

I already thought of one way to make Restless easier to make and that's just have the demon path and you can choose however the hell you want to torment the humans. (Despair, fear, fury, possession, etc)

But while I would like to work on Prison & Restless, I'd still like to go back to working on Primal since I never did finish it and its always bothered me that I didn't. Though at this point I'd probably just start from scratch and salvage most of what was already written.

Then there's scifi story idea I had called Caretaker which I already wrote a whole beginning to. The basic premise is the protagonist is the ship's A.I. of a space ark or generation ship with the last remnants of the human race.

I also would like to do a full story with a female protagonist. I had an idea which might line up with Briar Rose's desire to see me write something with unicorns and rainbows. It was going to be called "Fairy Glamor" and the protagonist was a female pixie. As a twisted bonus it was also going to be a romance story. Haven't really come up with anything else beyond that idea though.

Finally, there is the LoveSICK sequel that I had in mind. I'd actually have a slightly more detailed plot for it this time.

Anyway, can't do any of these ideas yet until Eternal is finished anyway.

FREE STORY IDEAS INSIDE!

11 years ago

No joke, that SF idea is one I've had as well. I called it "Mother, Ship" and the idea is you'd play as a living vessel-thing akin to the Moya from FarScape. A crew of humans would somehow wander on/into you and you'd take them on as your responsibility. You'd even have little biotech creatures akin to white blood cells or some sort of mutualistic animals (think sharks and remora or ants and aphids) to use for interacting with the crew.

As for a female protag, I've got that planned for another SF idea of mine. She'd be security chief of a corporate colony ship that has to protect and defend her fellow crew members/colonists from hostile aliens and conditions and members of a rival corporation looking to stake their claim.