Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

werewolves: curse or gift?

11 years ago

Who all would rather be a werewolf than a vampire? i would!!! as long as i could control the change. who else is with me?

11 years ago

Werewolf, vampire, what a painful choice. Both of these awesome creatures of lore are doomed to spend the rest of eternity as pussified love interests in tweenage romance fiction, throwing themselves at the feet of the most whiny, emotionless, selfish, male dependent, mind-numbingly boring character in the history of literature ever! So how is one any better than the other? cheeky

11 years ago

Hybrid

11 years ago

I like to think that some of the "best sellers" will be lost to time. Maybe fire. 

I will say, (and I can't believe I am) that it's interesting to consider the fact that these creatures are ideas, so, had something like Twilight come out before Carmilla, our cultural connection to the "vampire" would probably be based in the idea that they sparkle and junk. Then, if Carmilla or Dracula came out, we'd probably all be crying "What have you done to our prancing, fanged disco balls?" because we'd have a different concept of what a vampire is.  I don't think anyone's opinion of Bella would change though. She'd still exemplify being whiny, selfish, male dependent, boring, over dramatic and just plain bitchy

I like our horror story creatures they way the are, of course, it's just an interesting idea.

11 years ago

Neither, I'd be the guy who hunts them. :)

11 years ago

While the less said about the actual story the better, but strictly from the lore perspective of things, the only major problem I have with Twilight is the fact that the vampires fucking sparkle.

We've had tons of angsty annoying vamps struggling with "fighting the monster within", falling in love with equally annoying humans and all the predatory (AKA "romantic!") stuff that occurs in their relationship several times before, but I refuse to accept glittering vampires.

Nope. Just can't do it.

Don't get me started on absurdity of zombie romances. I'm not even talking about that recent movie, apparently there's a crop of zombie romance literature popping up now.

How the hell would it even happen for a zombie dude and a human girl? I mean the mechanics of such things wouldn't even work. There's no blood flow ANYWHERE and the tongue is right out for obvious reasons. Even if she's got some sort of "Bub" like zombie lover where she's trained him for months AND he's somehow managed to maintain some form of faint human memory, as soon as he gets human flesh in his mouth the zombie instinct is going to kick in and she's going to learn a  brand new meaning to the term eaten out.

I mean unless she's manually using his rotting fingers, I'm not seeing how a zombie lover could even provide any pleasure factor for her unless she's just straddling his putrid worm ridden torso.

Flip the genders and it's a little more believable. I mean at most all he's got to do is put a ball gag on living dead girl and get a lot of lube for the intimacy bit.

Though anytime you've got a guy screwing a zombie girl for some reason it ceases to be "romance" and he's automatically branded a necrophiliac rapist.

Anyway I think I hijacked the thread. Lol.

11 years ago

What, no Sparkle Vampire Crickets either?

photo VampireCricket.jpg

11 years ago

HOW TO DEFEAT?!

11 years ago

Holy Fly Swatter.

11 years ago

That's...extremely disturbing.

11 years ago

The above post was a reply to EndMaster's comment, but could just as well be one to BZ's comment...

11 years ago

Endmaster's pretty good at getting that reaction from people who are new here(and those who have not read all his storys.) 

But yes, Sparkly vampire crickets are a bit strange. Berka caught that one and named him Gimpy Cricket. Penguins are strange like that.

11 years ago

I've read all of EndMaster's stories - although I can't decide whether I like them or not. Read my profile - I absolutely LOVE pain, blood and gore, but I dislike the fact that all of EndMaster's 'gory' stories have so much 'sex' in them (LoveSICK). However, I do like his more 'touching' stories, like Eternal and Death Song (my personal favourite EndMaster story). So yea, love the gore, but hate the sex. 

As to the second comment...why 'Gimpy' Cricket? :/

11 years ago

"Jiminy Cricket" was already taken.

11 years ago

Hey. That's my sparkling vampire cricket!

11 years ago

I'm disturbed, not so much by you telling us this, but because it seems you've really thought it out.  Ew. ;)

Either way, you don't pull a lot of punches in your descriptiveness, do you?  But I'm not terribly surprised, since I've read a lot of your work already (Necromancer, Death Song, Eternal, Ground Zero, Innkeeper) and probably going to read them all.  Or, at least, try to. ;)

I agree with the sparkling vampires.  Unless they're wearing a TON of diamonds, or putting mundane glitter glue on them, they really shouldn't be so...damned shiny.  I'm fine with the fighting their own nature too, but you do make a good point about WHO they tend to fall in love with romantically.

But, I do have to say something good about the Twilight series.  After reading it, my hopes of ever being published took on a new light.  If THAT can pass, well, perhaps something I write can also. ;)

11 years ago

I would be werewolf! >:D And then go on RAMPAGE!

11 years ago

Eh... for the sake of living among other humans and depending, of course, on the interpretation... I guess werewolf. But in general, I'd rather be a vampire. I choose to ignore utter crap like twilight, and as such, vampires are not whiny, teen-angsting disco-balls.

11 years ago

I'd rather be a young lady with enough skills and luck to outlive others. The Hunger Games, anyone?

11 years ago

Nah, being in the Hunger Games would suck, especially for the older kids who have to stay alive by killing all the little 12 year olds, that's no fun. Triwizard Tournament would be awesome though ^_^

11 years ago

such tournament exists? [you might be thinking, "you must be new here" or something]

11 years ago

But, to answer the actual question, Vampire all the way!  I've loved the idea of vampires since I was about 8 years old.  (Perhaps this stems from liking the "Count" on Sesame Street, but it was so long ago, I have no real way of knowing what started it.)  I started writing vampire stories when I was about 12, and it still remains a large part of my writing focus 21 years later.  (Now I feel old!)  Also, since I was born in the 80's, a lot of the existing movies that featured werewolves were absolutely AWFUL in terms of special effects.  Vampires, generally being more subtle in many ways, were a little easier to 'believe' on television.  And, I really think, it's the subtlety of vampires that I appreciate.  When they aren't completely mindless or cartoonishly obvious, a vampire can get right up next to you before you realize they're not really human.  Where as a werewolf, well, that is something that is visually threatening.

Besides, and this might be weird, because I'm female the thought of being excessively hairy is rather revolting to me.

Anyhow, that's my 5 cents. ;)

11 years ago

I must say that werewolves are more enticing to me than vampires. While it's true that 'leeches' are mostly shown in cinema and books as more mature, literate etc., contrary to werewolves who tend to be portrayed as bestial, animalistic... But like OP wrote - in case of full control over change it's really much better to get with the wolves.

Why? Because vampires (traditional ones...) have a lot of things that deter them. They can only move after dark, running water stops their movement. To rest they need a coffin with earth from their home country/grave and while doing so they're vulnerable to attacks - either by stake to the heart, burning or cutting the head off. What is more they can enter most of buildings only if human explicitly invites them in (like I said - these are traditional rules for vampires). Then goes another thing with immortality and eternal thirst. Even if vampire did love a human it's still useless - he/she would have watch loved one wither and die... or turn them and share the curse. Both options are... not really good, right?

Werewolves on the other hand are pretty human, only they tend to get along with animalistic nature. In return you get superhuman regeneration and vulnerability to silver. And that's pretty much it. Of course there are problems with infecting others and making sure that nobody gets killed, but these can be stopped by chaining down the beast. Because full moon comes in regular intervals...

So yeah.

11 years ago

I actually like the deterrents of vampires, but that's just me. :)

But I do agree that having control over a change makes being a werewolf far more viable.  Though I've always preferred direct man to wolf, wolf to man changes instead of the hybrid 'wolfman'.  If there was no hybrid, I'd be far more likely to show interest in them.

However, the main thing most werewolves have that puts a point in their court, in my opinion, is the fact that infertility is generally not an issue.  Though some stories do have vampires able to procreate in a human manner, I find that they somehow seem less...vampirey.  I'm also pretty sure that procreating vampires is a generally new introduction to the vampire line of fiction.

This discussion, however, makes me curious as to how many people here have played White Wolf games.

11 years ago

Well people have different tastes that much is always true ;).

If I remember correctly turning into werewolf was indeed either having a form of 'wolfman' (interesting movie, btw) or 'alpha wolf'. The latter is much less threatening to humans, but according to my memory alpha wolf one was usually made because of some sort of cursed skin/clothes which in turn made human more and more animalistic. So when wolfman last stage was a beast - but only during moonlight - alpha wolf last stage was just that - a wolf. Cunning, monstrous wolf which cared not for humans. Then again it's more of a local tale about werewolves... I guess. Just like vampires were called 'strzyga' where I live and tend to be shown as more ghoul-like, not graceful, western ones. So that's one more thing to ponder.

If you mean Vampire: The Masquerade then I played both computer games and few sessions of proper RPGs. It's nice, murderous world in there. Like bartering with giant black scorpion how many hobos it needs in exchange for help... my GM was weird guy.

11 years ago

Well, the 'new' World of Darkness is now Vampire: the Requiem and their werewolf game is Werewolf: The Forsaken.  It's actually a really cool werewolf system, and the only version of werewolves I've seen that made them seem even remotely interesting for me to personally play.

I've played both 'old' World of Darkness and 'new', and I love the world/system.

11 years ago

^ GAMER GRRL!!!

(awesome BTW)

11 years ago

Heh.  It's one of the things I have going for me. :D

11 years ago

Werewolf for me, I would love being one and I agree with endmaster twilight could have been great but the fucking stupid crap they pull and control the beast shit I mean come on who buys that sappy three way romance crap!?!?!

11 years ago

Bella?

11 years ago

Yeah what's his face vamp dude and Jacob dude the weird love triangle they have all through the series (I've only watched two movies) 

11 years ago

man, I'm a girl and I haven't even watched any of them... read only a few chapters 'coz I found it soooo gay and disgusting. (sorry, Twilight fans) laugh

11 years ago

I didn't really have a choice in the matter. My wife wanted to see them, which pretty much meant I had to go see them too.

She doesn't even like them either, but she works with in a library organizing programs for teens and she has to keep up on all the teen/young adult literature along with stuff like movie adaptations, so it was work related.

11 years ago

That is awesome for you to take one for the partnership then.  (My ex wouldn't have done it for me.  Hmmmm, maybe there's a good reason why he's my ex.)

In all honesty, I see the appeal in them for teens.  Looking at that perspective, I don't think the Twilight books are as 'horrible' as a lot of people make them out to be.  That being said, I wouldn't award them any great prize for workmanship either.  They are what they are.

11 years ago

The author must've though that:

Teens are/like dreamy.

Twilight is such a dreamy novel.

Teens will like novels such as Twilight.

and poof, Twilight saga is born.

11 years ago

I've read a bit about new iteration and I don't really know if I like the changes. I mean only five clans, not thirteen? No Sabat and Camarilla? (which may be a good thing in the long run, but you just don't change the world which was already alive... not in this way). The change in vampire creation legend seems a bit meh, but it does leave a bit more room for wriggling. Still I'm not sure all these things click with me.

Nothing beats little horror game in the Cthulu realm anyway. When lovercraftian monsters seem to be just behind a wall and yet you check and see nothing.

11 years ago

It was meant to be an entirely different 'world'.  The two were not supposed to be connected, except by the system rules and whatnot.  I think they were trying to make the different 'spheres' more equitable (though vampire still gets the short end of the stick).

At first I hated it, but then I realized that it was too hard to find MUSHes in the oWoD, so I begrudgingly 'converted' to nWoD.  Now I think I would have trouble going back, because they streamlined things a lot nicer in the next edition.

And the Camarilla isn't gone so much as it's part of the history instead of a currently thriving faction.

Side Note: I really don't know that much about Cthulu.  Never seemed to be my 'thing', so to speak.

11 years ago

Oh, I didn't know that. I mean the fact that they're not connected. But then again when you name it a new iteration ditching it isn't really that good... I would probably check it out if it was more of evolution than revolution.  While I get what you mean about streamlining the experience it still gets on my nerves. Just a bit.

Also I have this luxury that there are people who would sit down and play with me, so I'm not forced to do stuff on the internet. Whispering GM and old candles here and there are always atmospheric. And nobody plays new WoD here so I don't really have much of a choice :).

Yes, I read about it being still alive and Sabat getting like three different factions. Or something like that.

Cthulu is great. The monsters are so-so. But the idea of scaring people s***less... oh God, I still remember our longer campaign... three or four session without any enemy. Just us, the GM and 'crazy lady' in a town where our characters were staying. My friend was chosen as one who 'looked just like crazy lady dead son'. GM regularly eroded his sanity. After third session both the player and character were seriously creeped out. So much fun.

11 years ago

Well, the near humanity of vampires is always what drew me to them.  So, completely foreign, alien minded and monster bodied things are not really in my venue of interest.  Also, I spent a lot of time with someone who kept trying to convince me I was crazy, or at the least, illogical, so I wouldn't want to play a game that messed with my head.

I really do love the themes and presentation of nWoD better, but I'm also glad to hear that you have people who would play oWoD with you.  My group of friends would have much rather played D&D, so I only ever got to play a live campaign of Vampire: the Masquerade once.  In a group at any rate.  So I had to turn to MUSHing to get my experiences.

11 years ago

In my defense I live with three girls and am only guy ( sisters and mother). And reason although we always see werewolves as hairy in actuality they are shape shifters so they would no more hairy then the average human when in human form. Besides in beastial form they retain many human feature and are not hairy compared to some humans for example... They walk upright have thin to no fur on hands (paws claws?) and little on their stomach and despite many movies they can think and retain some memory or sentient in this form. So despite being a vampire would be pretty cool I would rather be a werewolf because I would find drinking blood out a victim to be disgusting. At least as a werewolf you would spit them out or just shred them not eat them.

11 years ago

@Mynoris

It seems that these are just different styles of storytelling. My group mostly loves creepy/mad stuff and risky adventures, making our RPG sessions more of a game. From I can get your side tends to promote storytelling above mechanics (am I right?). These are two different things, which doesn't mean that any of these is better. Or worse for that matter. Also my people too tend to play a D&D, but it's still pretty rare. Warhammer - that's more like it. I guess we're still inspired by brutality, not nobleness of vampires. Of their bestial nature, which hides under thin layer of humanity. WoD with their humanity points got it right. When you start loosing them... it's hard to stop. And then the Beast comes. Heh, just a little digression.

@hugo23

But you know how literature and film still makes even human form grow more and more bestial? So the hair problem could be very much real. Also the part about not eating humans vary. Depending of who you're quoting of course. Movies like 'Underworld' or 'Wolfman' are pretty adamant on werewolves bestial nature.

In the defense of vampires in present times you can just steal some blood from hospital, or something like that :P.

11 years ago

True and I suppose the beastial form affects the human form as vise versa so yeah and to be frank your right it really depends on the werewolf or movie if they eat humans

11 years ago

"I would rather be a werewolf because I would find drinking blood out a victim to be disgusting."

...Actually, Hugo, you'd find that disgusting -as a human-. Because you are one. As a vampire? It's just lunch. Honestly, depending on where you -go-, people find the consumption of say... beef... disgusting. However, other people find it perfectly natural. Why do they see it as natural? Well, it's... the way they've been programmed, really. Be it by their home environment, their culture, whatever you want to call it, it's a state of mind.

You find drinking blood gross because your mind is not conditioned to accept that as a norm. But, you know, people DO drink blood. Some tundra nomads will drink the blood of the animals (I think...caribou or something like that) they kill, and will eat their heart raw (as a delicacy) just after killing it. It's warm, rich in iron and what not. Sure, _I_ find it nasty, but to them, it's just part of their culture.

11 years ago

And yet you''ve never made a proper "You're Back" message.  Welcome back.

11 years ago

Bartering with hobos? I'd love to have met your GM...

11 years ago

True my mind as a human see's drinking another humans blood as disgusting but even as a vampire I'd like to think I would exercise some self control and humanity.