Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

A game of life and death: Finished!

10 years ago

Phew. Finally. I've been so busy at my full time job lately, my writing muse has been all but dead... however, now that I am on vacation, I just managed to finish the story I've been working on ever since I joined this site. (^^; Sad that it's taken me so long to produce one complete work, maybe.) This is my first ever CYOA game, ever. So I do request that you guys try to be at least a little gentle with your reviews and give it a fair chance. xD If you hate it, go ahead and call me out on it, just... nicely?

Also, I've tested this thing EXTENSIVELY, but if there are any bugs, please let me know ASAP. (Playing one's own game over and over and over again to check for problems and make sure every option works properly is unbelievably tedious. -.-' That may be why I started making stupid puns on some of the pages.)

I really, really hope you guys like it. It may not be my best because it's a first try, (and I will try to get much better,) but a lot of heart went into this and with over 350 pages and +700 links (O_o; Ohmygod, did I really make so many?) you'll be able to kill a decent bit of time figuring this thing out.

With that said, the genre is: Horror, Sci-fi, Supernatural, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Puzzle, RPG. (Well, y'know, something like that.) You're a high-school student and your journey, should you get far enough, eventually leads you to an allegedly haunted house. I really hope you guys enjoy it.  

Good luck: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/a-game-of-life-and-death

10 years ago

I like it - Well done!

10 years ago

Thanks ^-^

Ah... may I ask what ending you got to? (I'm curious, admittedly. I wanna know how you did on the puzzle side of things. xD I worried about making it too easy or too hard.)

10 years ago
Looks nice (a long game at last!). I will play it tonight (and try to leave a 20 page 0_o comment!!)

10 years ago
Oh man! $&#?% For some reason I can't go past the first page. The same thing happened to me with mommy and cryptode too. Looks like I won't be able to play it anytime soon! #sigh# Gotta try it on my Android...

10 years ago
Works great on my Android. :0

10 years ago

Awesome, I look forward to your comment.

10 years ago

It seems that, when I die and click Reset Game, it doesn't take me to the beginning like you said it should, but rather another death page.

10 years ago

O_o Um... *goes to check* ... Holy crap. So it does. That's... bizarre. I'm sorry. ^^;

*cough* Okay then, I'm terribly sorry to anyone who is currently playing, but I really need to fix this immediately. >_>; Provided I can figure out wtf went wrong.

*sigh* Gonna lose all the wonderful ratings I got, too. =( But it must be done.

10 years ago

Alright, the reset bug itself is fixed. I found the problem and squashed it in less than 10 minutes. xD Go me... but now I need to do a complete play through and make sure that the puzzle connected to the ending you accidentally found is not utterly screwed up because of me tampering with the variables to make sure this doesn't happen anymore.

EDIT: The game is fixed and up-and-running yet again. Apologies for any inconvienced caused.

10 years ago

Quite good, but I wanted to use some items in ways that the game didnt do.

10 years ago

Would you mind giving me a few examples? I can't make a page for every possibility, and creative readers are bound to think of ten options for every one I give them... but I'd be interested to hear what you came up with.

10 years ago

Use water to clean the plates in the sink. I havent got far, havent got the time.

10 years ago

Lol... alright, then. While I have a valid reason for preventing the reader from cleaning them... I actually hadn't considered that method, so I will add that option. =3

10 years ago

Firstly, I'd like to remark that the game is quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, it seems I stumbled on a bug. 

Spoiler: In the ending, Page titles Back At Mellissa, I encoutered no links. I assume that is because it is based on a set of variables that I didn't have, but I reached that page anyways, and I could not complete the game.

My Inventory: SPOILER:(To show what I did and did not do) I had

A note, change, cash, flashlight, text books, laynes hoodie, a mechanical lever, hidden key, knowledge of walls, crowbar, glowing fluid, poisen, purple bottle, greem bottle, English Lit Book, scalpel, knowledge of testing room, shell backpack, witc's cloack, and ornate key. 

I also had the coyote symbol. 

10 years ago

=X Another? I swear, I tested this thing over and over... but that was pre-publishing and it -is- a lot of game to look through. I'm sorry, I hope you'll still be able to enjoy the ending you earned once it's fixed. I'll do some back-tracking, see what went wrong. I'll get back to you asap, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

EDIT: Uh... al...righty. The other glitches were a cinch, but this time, I'm a bit baffled. See, the issue is, I am not encountering this bug. I've done two play-throughs... maybe I'm just not doing it the way you were? I -did- take the same initial path you did, and if you have the completed coyote medallion  then we're making most of the same choices here. I would like to continue this in a PM, if you don't mind.

10 years ago

Seems like it was a site error. 

The game was great. ^_^

10 years ago

Thanks! ^^ And the comment you posted on it really made me smile, good to know I accomplished my goals.

10 years ago

Alright, found an actual bug. 

You can actually have the spiked backpack and the shell backpack at the same time.

10 years ago

O____________O ...

... Well, damn. That was not suppose to happen. The readers keep thinking of things that I... honestly didn't plan on. I mean, I wanted to give you guys a lot of freedom, but that right there... is game-breaking freedom. xD Thank you for pointing that out, I'll go fix it. Man, I need a beta tester, I think.

Also, I once again apologize to anyone who has a saved game because, from what the site tells me, it -will- be destroyed. *sigh*

EDIT: The bug is fixed. Thanks again, sorry for any inconvenience.

10 years ago

I know the feeling ;)

My Dungeon Stompage game had bugs in it forever haha... It still has a few that I just decided were too obscure and non-game breaking to bother with  ^-^

10 years ago

Yeah...

To be honest, at some point, I may take it down again for an extended period of time to do another thorough check for bugs and to add some finishing touches. While the plot of the story itself has reached a satisfying conclusion, it could do with a little extra content and some polishing.

10 years ago

If you got the time, go for it and don't worry about stepping on saved games. Folks around here are very understanding about that. The sooner you can do it the better though, because it will reset the number of times finished to zero, but won't affect the actual Rating.

10 years ago

I'm gonna try for it soon, but right now, I'm sick as a dog... two ear infections, a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection... plus I just got my new computer so I need to finish assembling the damn thing and I've... actually never assembled one before. >_> I've always just bought the completed sets. But, eh, this is cheaper and I can customize...

Thanks for the advice.

10 years ago

Holy shit, so many infections. Hope you recover soon, and manage to build that computer.

10 years ago

Goodness. My condolences. :/