Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey! Can Someone Help Me?

8 years ago

I've been a member for almost a month, and I thought that I should make a story too, nothing too complex though. Any ideas on how to begin and where to start my first story?

Thanks!

8 years ago

What kind of stories do you enjoy reading? Fantasy, historical, modern, sci-fi, etc.?

8 years ago

I really like fantasy, I feel like I can do the most stuff with that topic. Modern is pretty good, too.

8 years ago

I like using this site if I need help generating certain parts of a story (or a plot itself). Maybe it could be of some use?

8 years ago

Keep in mind there's nothing requiring anyone here to write a story, you can contribute a lot to the community just by reading or reviewing or getting involved on the forums. Honestly, I'd never recommend anyone write anything just because they felt like they had to. If you're not feeling inspired at all and you're just forcing yourself to go along, you won't enjoy anything about the experience and the final product will be lacking.

That said, if you're dead set on this, maybe you could practice with a regular short story first? All the things necessary to a linear story are necessary to a CYOA, but a linear story is much simpler to actually write and will give you a good sense for things like plot, characters, pacing and so on before you try to tackle the more complicated issue of how to structure the branches and the sheer of amount of extra work required for a CYOA.    

8 years ago

I know, I want to. It's really fun! And thanks for the advice!

8 years ago

The articles in the help and info section have a lot of tips for getting started, scripting, so on. The ones I've written are geared mainly towards beginners, so you may find them helpful.

8 years ago

Hey, thanks, Kiel!

8 years ago

Welcome, just start writing and see where it goes.

8 years ago
Welcome. Please do click that link over there on the left that says, "Help & Info." Then read every single article. Yes, even the ones that you're not interested in! Then follow their advice, it's pretty darn good.

8 years ago

If you have any interest in scripting (or if you hate scripting after you encounter it here), then Twine (twinery.org) and ChoiceScript (choiceofgames.com) have some distinct advantages. If you like the editor here, there are certainly advantages to working here, but this site is not under active development in the way that Twine and ChoiceScript both are.

As the local advocate for 'storygames' as a medium, and not something unique to CYS, I'd be happy to chat with you about the pros and cons of the various options. You definitely shouldn't feel like you need to work on storygames here to be a member of the community... or that using ChoiceScript means you've defected to CoG. If they put up with me, they'll certainly put up with you. ^_~