Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

A Few Questions

7 years ago

As I stare off into complete nothingness in class, my mind gently ambles onto the subject of Chooseyourstory.com. I began to wonder about the certain mechanics of the website, and have come up with these.

- What happens to threads when they are deleted?

- How much data can and does CYS hold?

- Is it possible to restore a deleted thread?

I'm sure I'll come up with more as time goes on.

A Few Questions

7 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure only alexp can answer those questions, but I can estimate that user-uploaded images take up somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 gigabytes.

A Few Questions

7 years ago

Hm. Well, thanks for the info Brad.

A Few Questions

7 years ago

They're deleted from the database. I think the only way to retrieve a deleted thread is to access a site backup. If no site backup is made between the time the thread is posted and the time it's deleted, I think it's not possible to retrieve. That could be false if Alex has some sort of limbo set up for posts.

CYS can store as much data as Alex's server has space. I think he's using a dedicated CYS server, or it's hosted on the same server as his highest traffic website. Either way, it's probably quite a lot of data.

A Few Questions

7 years ago

Thanks, 3J.

A Few Questions

7 years ago

Here's another question I've though up after snooping around on the site.

- Why is user 'thatguy' a part of the duel message? Is it an inside joke?

"Wait, are you serious?!?" commented member thatguy as he took a break from basking in the shadows, "that was totally unexpected."