Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Quick Introduction and Question

5 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm Jason, also known as "Jax" in some circles. I don't really have any experience writing, but I love to read and I enjoy the choose your own adventure style stories I've read and played from various sources. I do freelance web development so I have experience with HTML and JavaScript.

I'm currently working on a story that I have stuck in my head, using this site, that at least has myself thoroughly entertained. I'm about 40 pages in at the moment. I just have one quick question. What is the best way to create a small story variation within a page, based on a choice from a previous page? Variables, scripts? I was using variables, but I'm not sure if creating a story variable is the right way to go. Is there a better way to do this with a script? By the way, I only have access to a mobile phone at the moment, so mobile friendly options would be preferred. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 years ago

Someone else can probably better help you with coding/variable stuff.

I will say the fact that you have a stat called GROIN in your story though already proves to be promising.

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply EndMaster. Disappointingly for some, the GROIN is hardly used in the first chapter so far. It will however play an important part in chapters to come.

5 years ago

Wait... Jason? Oh, shit guys! He found us!!! surprise

(Inside joke. You don't want to know. Welcome to the party!) ^_^

5 years ago
yokwe~

5 years ago

Howdy.

5 years ago
If you're talking about adding a line before or after the main body of text, use $PAGETEXT in the page script (the one in the top right, by the title.) It goes like $PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "blah blah extra text."

For just changing small things anywhere, you use On Page scripting directly in the box with the rest of the story.

%%VARIABLE%>%3%blah blah text here%% which will only show up if that particular variable is set to something that qualifies, and you can cram a big block of those together to cover a range of scenarios.

But in any case, writing on a phone is insane.

5 years ago

Thanks.

5 years ago

Thank you. I found what I was looking for on the Scripting Code Reference, Intermediate Scripting, and Advanced Scripting pages.

5 years ago
Welcome to the site. Looks like Mizal already said what I was going to in reference to your scripting question. Best of luck!

5 years ago
Welcome to the site and good luck with your story!