Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Christmas Books

3 years ago

So what are the books, that you plan to get / give / read over Christmas? Any ideas for last minute book presents that you can share? Imho 2020 had an unusual amount of interesting new SF / Fantasy titles. Perhaps some authors used the spring lockdowns to get their act together (though sadly no Winds of Winter yet).

Christmas Books

3 years ago
I bought like $200 of kid books over October to give to the niece, but not digging up the list right now.

She's really into reading now, to the point some bitch teacher was whining at my brother and sister and law for "doing it wrong" because she's burning though actual books instead of struggling to sound out two syllable words like all her classmates. Because our society wants intelligent well adjusted kids to be held back by the ones who blatantly don't give a shit or else are being sabotaged by whatever useless fuckwit adults happen to be in their lives. (Such as their teachers.)

They're all books that I read as a kid naturally, which made me turn out great, unlike whatever kids read now that makes them so annoying and dumb.

Christmas Books

3 years ago

I've been trying to read more books so that something eats up my time other than Instagram scrolling, so I'm planning on Grapes of Wrath and Name of the Rose over the holidays.

Christmas Books

3 years ago
Grapes of Wrath is a good one. Let me know how readable Umberto Eco is.

Although I will point out that you still never held up your end of the deal with Watership Down, even though I purchased and read those gay little WH40K books eons ago.

Also I guess part of the reason I don't read much anymore is that I'm old. When people start talking about holidays as a time to do things, I forget for a minute that most of you are in school and holidays mean you have more free time instead of less. As for me, I always breathe a sigh of relief when October though December has passed. (You should feel bad now and do what I say out of guilt.)

Christmas Books

3 years ago

Alright, I will add Watership Down to the list. If you read the entire Eisenhorn trilogy I would be an oathbreaking cur not to read it

Christmas Books

3 years ago
Name of the Rose is very readable. Highly recommended.

Christmas Books

3 years ago

I should really give Watership Down a try, but I just loved the film so much that I'm afraid it'll ruin the book for me.

Christmas Books

3 years ago
East of Eden is pretty damn good too btw if you decide you like Steinbeck.

Christmas Books

3 years ago
I really liked Pattern Recognition from William Gibson. It has a SciFi feel to it, although it is technically set today. He screwed up the end a bit but not badly enough to ruin the book.

Christmas Books

3 years ago

I've been binging free audiobooks in the public domain recently. Listened to all 5 of Charles Dickens Christmas books. Christmas Carol for about the millionth time and all the rest for the first time. Really gets me in the Christmas spirit.

Did you know that Charles Dickens wrote three separate books about men who got visited by spirits around Christmas time and taught them the error of their ways? You'd think that the four ghosts in Christmas Carol would've been enough, but nope. Apparently he just had a massive hard on for Christmas ghosts.

Also recently listened to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Highly recommend both. ^_^