Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Eragon

17 years ago

Haven't read it yet, but does anyone else think "Eragon" sounds a lot like "Aragorn?"  You'd think the publishers would have made him change it a little.

Eragon

17 years ago
Yeah, I've noticed that.  This may be a little off topic, but Aragog also sounds like Aragorn.

Eragon

9 years ago
Whoa... look at that profile pic!

Eragon

8 years ago

Also, believe it or not, Aragon sounds like Aragorn as well.

It's one of those things I never mentioned, because I'm the only nerd here who plays EU4, and for any other nerd who plays EU4 it will be too obvious :(

Eragon

17 years ago

No, unless its teh same name he wont have to change it.  God, if someone made a character called Harry Zarkins, would they have to change it because its teh same first name as Harry Potter?

Eragon

17 years ago

i would say that the publishers wanted him to keep it that way, Eragon. because it does sound like Aragorn. that whole, play off the popularity of another name.

speaking of which, Kenny Chesney, who went to my highschool, has been quoted as saying that many of his fans got him confused with Mark Chestnutt. Kenny used Mark's popularity to make his music known. Now, hes more famous than Mark. lol

nate

Eragon

17 years ago

Smart Guy

Eragon

17 years ago
Good book. The movie looks like its been dumbed down and cheesed up for five year olds though.

I do agree. Eragon sounds a lot like Aragorn, but I think you start to stop thinking that as you read the book.

Eragon

17 years ago

imo

Eragon is better then Eldest (Eldest is the second one)

Eragon

17 years ago
I know. I've read it. Eldest gets a bit boring.

What colour do you reckon the third book is going to be (the first was blue, the second was red)? My guess is black.

Eragon

17 years ago

Ooooh, a black dragon, maybe!

Btw, I love Eragon! The introductions of characters were wonderfully written.

Eragon

17 years ago
Yeah, I reckon Galbatorix's dragon will be black, and that's why the book will be coloured like that.

Have you seen what Durza looks like in the movie? Since when does he have green skin?

Eragon

17 years ago

Ha! Durza! He looks funny to me :D I haven't really watch the movie yet, but from what I see in the trailer and pictures...well...let's just say I don't approve of some of the characters..

Eragon

17 years ago
Neither. Same with you, I've only seen the trailers and pictures. The actor who plays Eragon looks like he cannot act, as well.

Eragon

17 years ago
Yes, he doesn't look like Eragon. I am very much saddened by this...

Eragon

17 years ago
Amen

Eragon

17 years ago

Saw the movie. . .

Galbatorix's dragon is black.

Some of that movie seemed very. . .cut and paste, I guess.  Like they had to chop it up to make it fit into a 2 hour movie.  For example, Murtaugh (don't know spellings, that's what it sounded like they called him) was my favorite character in the whole movie.  Does he get more book time than he got screen time?  I mean, one minute he meets Eragon for the first time, then about 5 minutes later, they're going into the waterfall and --big surprising revelation of secret!-- (which would have been a lot better, in my opinion, if there had been more of a relationship between the two.)

Also, why do dragons need riders?  They seem like nothing but a weakness, the way the movie makes it.

I might read the books now.

Eragon

17 years ago

Ah- in re: why the publishers didn't make him change it- his parents own a publishing company, they're the ones who first published his book. 

(What do you think, JJJ and or October?  As the only 15-year olds or thereabouts I know for sure on the site, if your parents owned a publishing company, do you think you'd be a published author?)

Eragon

17 years ago
You know, I heard the movie was basically horrible, but the book is supposed to be decent.  I read that Mr. Paolini borrowed a lot from my favorite author (we all know who that is by now, right?).  What do you guys think, is it worth my time reading this Inheritance trilogy?

Eragon

9 years ago

yes.

Eragon

8 years ago

It would be the Inheritance Quartet(Eragon,Eldest,Brisingr,Inheritance)

P.S Brisingr was the best in my opinion.

Eragon

8 years ago

Why did you necro this? Why?

Eragon

8 years ago

cause i wanted to.

hahahahahahah(evil laugh)"another forum Thread necro'ed successfully"

Honestly:I never bother to check these dates ya know.

So if you notice these bloops ignore them. 

Eragon

17 years ago
Everything is explained in the books. Oh, and about Murtaugh. I'm sure you'll find there is a lot more about him in the next book/movie.

Actually JJJ and my own average age is fourteen and two months. Seeing JJJ is 14 and eight months, and I'm 13 and eight months, it would be in the middle. But yes, fifteen years old is accurate.

Eragon

17 years ago
The point wasn't the age, exactly.  My friends and I were saying we could probably come up with an equally good plot outline over lunch; the problem would be finding a publisher.  Then, I was thinking about the movie critic who said "I know I'm supposed to cut the story some slack because Christopher Paolini was still a teenager. . ." and I thought to myself, "I'm pretty sure I know some teenagers who could write a better story than that."

Eragon

17 years ago

Well see, the thing is that coming up with a plot isnt hard but writing 500 page, 300 words per page stories IS NOT EASY.

Eragon

17 years ago

But you could do it, right?  Especially if you didn't have to go to school?

Anyway, seems like a lot of modern "sword-and-sorcery" fantasy is pretty derivative.  I'm not saying all fantasy (although there are a lot of mediocre books out there. . .) but especially the Tolkien-esque stuff is a little too Tolkien-esque a lot of the time.  (Elves are always Tolkien-style elves, dwarves are always Tolkien-style dwarves-- even if they've been renamed.)

Back to Eragon--  Does it bother fans that the characters in the movie don't look like the characters in the book?

Eragon

17 years ago
I will answer this after i see it.

Eragon

17 years ago

JJJ is right about how hard it is to get 300 words per page, for a 500 page novel.  Assuming the average novel is 500 pages long, the average word count in story games on this site is about 46 words per page, that's a 23,000 word book. A story on this site with a nice word count is around 77 words a page on average, that's a 38,500 word book. I've been told I write long pages by people who playtest my unpublished stories. My pages average at 181 words per page, that's a 90,500 page book. That's writing all day, and struggling to make the content worth reading and not just filler text - and longer to make sure grammer and spelling is right. And I'm not going anywhere near 500 pages.

A 500 page, 300 word per page book clocks in at around 150,000 words. That's a hell of a lot of words, and on top of that, when you try to publish something, publishers and editors like to cut away sections of the book that aren't important enough, or appear to be just filler text, because the more words, the more it costs them to produce. On top of that, publishers are often hesitant to publish something by an unknown author, as it could be a risk. On top of that, they are even more hesitant to publish something from a really young author, who doesn't have much experience yet. So, this Eragon author must have been good at his job - not just a published book, a movie made of it too! I personally don't think he would have been published just because his parents owned a publishing company. Of course, you never would know.

Eragon

17 years ago
Utter, Utter agreement.

Eragon

17 years ago
I reckon the books had awesome writing, the movie just made the books look bad.

Eragon

17 years ago
I thought you said Eldest got a bit boring.

Eragon

17 years ago
IMO Magus Betrayel gets  boring, but its still awesome writing.  Same with some of the description scenes in LOTR.

Eragon

17 years ago
I'm still not understanding how something can be "boring" and "awesome writing" at the same time. 

Eragon

17 years ago
Well its very descriptive and he uses a good vocabulary but its soooooo cliche and just meh. just my opinion.

Eragon

8 years ago

Cliche!? CLICHE!? @JJJ-thebanisher come answer for your sins!

Eragon

8 years ago

Dude, chill; this was like 8 years ago.

Eragon

8 years ago

Are you talking about Magus Betrayel or about Eragon? They're both extremely cliche. This is one of those rare times where I agree with pre-pubescent 3J. Hopefully your taste in literature catches up with him soon ;)

Eragon

8 years ago

Wait... what? I thought you were referring to LOTR in that post. :')

Eragon

8 years ago

That's cliche too, by modern standards, but that's only because it completely defined the standard for fantasy. Things are cliche because they're too close to LOTR haha.

Eragon

8 years ago

Wait. So you weren't referring to LOTR... 

An entire year of wanting to necro that, 3J. I think you just destroyed my psyche. 

Eragon

8 years ago

I believe the word, in LOTR's case, is "classic." :P

Eragon

17 years ago
I did say Eldest got a bit boring... what's your point?

Eragon

17 years ago

Are you talking to me?  I was asking how Paolini could be a great writer if the book was boring.  JJJ gave a pretty good explanation, though. 

I kinda felt that way about Tolkien sometimes.  Other way, though.  His creativity, and worldbuilding were amazing- but the dialogue was stilted and the descriptions went on forever.

Eragon

17 years ago
Yeah, but Tolkien wasn't cliche.  If you read what fantasy that existed before him, it is... well, it's very different.  Many of my peers don't seem to understand that.  They think of Mr. Tolkien as, you know, just another fantasy author who just happened to live before the others, when, in reality, he is the father of the entire genre as we know it.  He added a new depth to it, made it something more sophisticated than the cheap pulp-fiction of the time and more complex than any of the great "fairy tales" of old.  The only reason I haven't read Paolini's books is that I am afraid of disappointment--everything else I've read that is in any way similar and more recent than Tolkien's day has been so disgustingly derivative that I hardly bother to read any "new" fantasy any more.

Eragon

17 years ago
I've just seen the movie.  They changed a lot in it.

Eragon

17 years ago
You wont be dissapointed, but amen to what your saying.

Eragon

9 years ago

Brisingr was good.

Eragon

9 years ago

Eragon

9 years ago

The first book was sort of okay. 

Eragon

9 years ago

I have voiced my opinion before: I don't car for eragon. I read the first book an I was like "Okay dude. Yup."

The story was fine, but the writing style was not my style. I prefer.....Slaughter House 5....Catch-22.... The Princess Bride (If you know any books like that, please message me!)

But Godblessyou Sethanial! Your avatar brings me joy!