Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

WSOP anyone?

6 years ago

the World Series of poker is winding down this weekend. The final 9 players will win at MINIMUM $1 MILLION. The winner will get over $8 MILLION. What am I doing wrong with my life? Lol

WSOP anyone?

6 years ago
I have a school friend from the states who got into professional poker, it's a lot more about sustained win/loss at scale than anything else, and that takes a special type of mental fortitude to withstand. He'll sometimes win something grand like 300k, then win nothing for a year. It's a pretty spiky life (high highs, low lows), and I definitely wouldn't wish it for most. If you want a better story of people winning money in unexpected ways - dude - esports. There's a 15 year old Pakistani immigrant to the US (or perhaps it was emigrant, I've forgotten) who got scouted and hired (while in school) to play for a pro Dota team, which then used his skills to win the International. He practiced Dota 8 hours a day, everyday IIRC. I believe that kid got $1.8mn for that win. That is more insane to me, fundamentally, than a WSOP win.

WSOP anyone?

6 years ago

If e sports were around back in my Tetris on original game boy days, I'd have been unstoppable. Lol but I can't get into most games these days. It's the old man in me I guess. It's just over my head. But with that said, it IS impressive that these kids can play so well and make a mini fortune for themselves. 

I prefer poker because it is something that I can play without worrying about a physical disadvantage. AND it's less reliant on hand eye coordination like video games lol. 

WSOP anyone?

6 years ago
True, but Poker trades hand/eye skill for intuition, character reading and judgement, and raw mathematical counting. From one perspective, that's equally (if not more) difficult.

WSOP anyone?

6 years ago

I used to be so hooked to the app. 'All in on the pre-flop' is my life motto.