Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Internet

6 years ago

I guess a big part of living in a post truth world is figuring out just how we got here, why, and where do we go from here. This (at times pedantic) article charts the situation of the modern world to thoughts from the 60s. I can't say I agree with all of it, but the gist is that we've been building our own perceptions of realities, which mixed with the ability to form narrow dedicated pools of thoughts through mediums like the Internet have helped bad ideas (conspiracies, cults, conspiracy cults) fester by pooling together and self reinforcing, and not dying out on the margins like they should have (the entire anti-vaccination/autism debacle, for example). Living in our own realities has made working with other people significantly harder ('not my president' being an easy example), and that's made us often more insular, compounding the entire problem.

Now, I know it's ironic that I'm using the internet to ask the internet whether the internet was a good idea or not, but that's my question. Do you think the internet was a good idea, or did we fail in our execution, or both? For alternate internet frameworks, check out China's system where their version of Yahoo DID become the homepage for everyone including civil services. Another reference is the Military's version of the internet (highly secured, unlike ours which is specced towards ease of access). Would banning anonymity have been a better idea? Would banning anonymity now be a good idea (everything you do can be tracked and traced via cookies and other easy to access methods)?

I'd like to hear your views on this

The Internet

6 years ago
Can't sit down and read the article right now but most of the points in your first paragraph I've thought or read about before and basically agree with. Echo chambers and alienating oneself from anyone outside them is definitely a thing. Maybe everyone would be happier, healthier, and more well adjusted if the internet has never existed but fuck anyone who thinks either it or anonymity should be taken away. I literally hissed and spat acid at the screen of my phone when I read that.

Maybe the next time humans invent computers they'll luck onto a way to handle this stuff better. I basically do have the sense that modern society (and sure we can say roughly since the sixties/seventies) socially and technologically has been preoccupied with building this increasingly elaborate house of cards between themselves and reality. Which is great for us as long as it lasts but, sucks that there are whole generations that take it all for granted and have never had so much as a peek at what's on the other side, and will have no idea how to cope when it all comes crashing down.

Hoping I manage to die right as our current civilization reaches the top of the roller coaster, but not a moment before or after. I can play all the Fallout I want in heaven, suckers.

The Internet

6 years ago
Hmm, I had a long chat with a friend on the topic, and he pointed out a flaw in my logic. The internet (like all technology), is neither good nor bad by inherent design. It just is. The same way an axe is neither a good nor bad tool, but that's contingent on the wielder (Einstein likened any new technology to an axe in the hands of a madman, for context).

Perhaps it's not the computers at faults, but they're amplifying the inherent habits of humans, including the bad, which let them overwhelm the good. Politics suffers from that problem well - a dishonest politician making dishonest claims is objectively more attractive than an honest one. For example, honest politician knows finances of state, and offers to build one bridge in the state, which would benefit the state's trade and also the locals for obvious reasons. Everyone not a local to where the bridge was proposed would be offended at being overlooked, and would easily rally with someone promising to 'make the best bridges in the world, I tell ya, I make great bridges, the best bridges, we'll have so many bridges we won't know what to do with them.' Lies can be spun many times, abandoned for new and more appealing ones, and cycled out as the constituents demand. Truths are like christmas presents, they're fun before you know what they are, but then they're pretty boring ("Just a toy car? Well, it's cool, but it's just one toy car compared to the fleet of imaginary cars the other fella's offering").

As for kicking the bucket before Fallout stops being just a game series, well, no one really knows when the birds will fly, and living like a radical survivalist is just boring.

The Internet

6 years ago

I want to nitpick and argue/discuss anything tonight, so here I am (again) to do just that.

Your comparison with how politics also, like the internet, suffers from human 'corruption' is (IMO) misguided. The ideal nature of statecraft and leadership is to be able to lead the people (breaking news I know). Whether virtue and honour (honesty), Machiavellian expediency (dishonesty), or ruthlessness are ideal characteristics in a leader (a politician) is debatable. A man's worth as a private individual does not necessarily ensure his value as a public ruler (a dishonest man is not necessarily a bad ruler). A morally repulsive act may at times be a politically desirable one, while a man who acts from the highest of motives may be too busy keeping his conscience clean to lead well, and a man who once does evil in the expectation that good will be the final result may be forced more deeply into self-deception and impotence than a man who acts simply from expediency. On the other hand, the pursuit of expediency and a lack of scruple do not guarantee the ability to govern. Just wanted to point out that your comparison didn't add up.

Courtesy to my notes on Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and my 10th grade English teacher for this tangent.

The Internet

6 years ago
No, my issue is with the fact that reality is less attractive than fiction, but networks can make fictions seem real, warping our ability to communicate in reality. Pizzagate was a fantastic example of an echo chamber online causing serious real world consequences. The morality of an action is irrelevant when it's very existence can be assaulted and denied as convenient. The ability to sell dreams is nothing new for politicians. The willingness for masses to buy into ones that are patently wrong vehemently, however, is not.

The Internet

6 years ago

Umm, the response I wrote further down is basically my answer to this as well. Instead of shutting down networks and censoring ideas that are extremist, it would be more helpful to revamp the education system (teaching methods, better teachers [not just qualified idiots] who can control classes and teach kids, spreading awareness of key issues to parents and children alike etc.). As I see it now, the American schooling system (elementary to high) isn't pretty.

The Internet

6 years ago
Yes, the internet was a good idea. It has it's flaws (hint: the people using it), but the idea is good. My life would suck without it, so I'm quite happy it's here. Instead of thinking what would be better if it didn't exist, we should make the best of what we have.

The Internet

6 years ago
Fair point, though I doubt there'd be any world in which an internet would not be invented at a certain point, I was just looking back at all the good it's created (CYS, TvTropes, Wikipedia, good blogs and videos, recipes) at the same time as the negative (a lot, though a lot of it depends on your perspective). Recently it seems like the negative is having a major moment, and anonymity seems like a major part of the problem.

The Internet

6 years ago
People have always been assholes. When a caveman learned the first insult, he held a big ass rock in front of his face, so other cavemen couldn't see it, then started insulting everyone. Or maybe he made a mask out of bear skin.
Ok, that doesn't make much sense, but I'll believe it anyway. Anonymity has it's flaws, but what do you want instead? I can't think of a better alternative. There are more good things than you listed, you just don't know them all, and focus only on the bad things. The people that are stupid would have been stupid anyway.

The Internet

6 years ago
Yeah, the list of goods was demonstrative not enumerative. That said, individual stupidity is a part of life, collective stupidity is what causes war, and I'd really like less of the latter.

As for anonymity, I like the proposal to have online records of your past removed after 3 months, that allows a person to explore, make mistakes if needed, and not be held to them till the end of time / memory databanks, that's honestly an unnatural way of life for humans - living under perfect memory, every success and failure recorded perfectly.

The Internet

6 years ago
What sort of records? Are you saying everything a person does should be forgotten/deleted after 3 months? Does that mean all the posts on a forum, social media, videos, etc? If so, that's a weird idea and wouldn't quite work. People would be even stupider if they knew nobody could ever find out their mistakes. You want people to be more responsible, you won't get it by ignoring their mistakes, if they make them they should pay for them. If I write something stupid on the internet and my boss finds out and I don't get the job, it's my fault. Not to mention it would just not work in general.

The Internet

6 years ago
Ah, no, I meant your internet past (your involuntary actions) should be erased. For context, I'll re-post these two articles. Basically if you ever went full Jayden Smith at any point in the past, that could be held against you in the future, otherwise those silly posts will always be part of your internet history (that any employer could access at a moment's notice). The articles give more interesting edge cases, and this is an important part of making the web a better place. Having your own generated content like posts and videos should be in your own control, though I wouldn't mind an auto-feature archiving content beyond a certain date automatically unless you choose to put it up.

The Internet

6 years ago
You complained about anonymity just a few posts back and said how there's to much of it and people shouldn't be allowed to do stupid shit just because they can't be caught. Now you want everything a person does on the internet ignored after some time? That's stupid and will just lead to more of what you're already complaining about. I'll read the articles later, it's late here and I'm tired.

The Internet

6 years ago
Ah, there's nuance there. While posting, people could be non-anonymous, preventing baseless character attacks and rumors without accountability. However, after a certain amount of time, that conversation should probably be moved to archives. The comparison is that people say stupid things face to face over time, but may well forget about it later, the net doesn't have a later, everything exists in the 'now.'

The Internet

6 years ago
Ok, so lets ignore the anonimyty and look at other points here. Every single post should be deleted after 3 months? Can you imagine how annoying that is? I am assuming archives like wayback machine wouldn't be allowed to exist, because they would go against that rule. It would make finding old, funny posts impossible. Someone could write a helpful post on CYS and get a commendation for it, 3 months later it would be deleted. That's stupid. If people post something stupid, it's their fault and they should live with it. The internet is ment for storage of (sometimes) useful content. Your idea would do more bad than good.
I think we will have to just agree to disagree here.

The Internet

6 years ago
Looks like we're not looking from the same perspective. Individual created content (posts, blogs, videos, etc) should be at the user's discretion to keep up for longer, but otherwise may be archived (and removed from the visible web) if there are no instructions otherwise. Things like wayback machine would continue to exist, though they're no different from just saving the page / downloading the content, so I honestly have no solution there. Tracking data, on the other hand, needs to be out. Your breadcrumb trail of where you've visited on the internet, what products you've bought, which religious or political websites you subscribe to should be removed (that's more of a corporate action than an individual action). That trail can haunt you more than your voluntary content, because that trail can reveal more about you than you'd realize (where you logged in from, using what ISP, at what time, where did you go from that website, and so on can build a character portrait of you that becomes scarily accurate the more data it has. I'd like to deny it that data)

The Internet

6 years ago
That's a nice dream. But it's never going to happen. Companies get too much money from selling your information to advertisers. The best you can do is go live in the desert, and even then you'll be on Youtube as "That weird paranoid guy that lives in the desert".

The Internet

6 years ago
People suck. People have always sucked. People will continue to suck. People will always find new ways to suck.

Internet has nothing to do with it.

The Internet

6 years ago
You're discounting the network and amplification effects the internet has. People in groups are significantly more potent than individuals, and that causes disproportionately large problems compared to individuals being silly. One kid whining on their own is a Tuesday, thousands together is something stupid like GamerGate (shudder), operating at scale changes the fundamental nature of an action.

The Internet

6 years ago
Yeah, people are going to bitch about stupid shit and get hurt feelings about the dumbest crap that doesn't apply to them at all in their daily lives. And yeah, it promotes fear mongering and other bullshit too along with many other things that suck greatly. It's just the theme of the day. In yesteryear it was localized lynch mobs and vigilante justice on cattle rustlers and rapists and that poor innocent bastard that the charismatic man convinced everyone did something awful.

And the internet probably is a big reason for helping make America fat.

All of this derives from people just being generally shitty. People being shitty parents. People being shitty kids. People being shitty racists/sexists/retards. People just being flat out shitty. Point being, people will always be shitty and expand into whatever new mode of being shitty is hip at the time.

It's on individual people to not suck, just as it's always been.

Fortunately, not everyone sucks on the same level and some people use the internet for good things. Like when people organize funding for families that just had a hurricane eat their house. Or when little Billy has severe rectal cancer and he's only nine years old and people help pay his med bills so he can have a refill on his medicine.

Good and the bad balance out in the end. Well, up to the point where all the shitty parents outbreed the good ones that teach their kids manners and math and to not slap the waitress's ass when she goes to get your food.

The Internet

6 years ago
People, man. What a bunch of bastards.

The Internet

6 years ago
The internet has more pros than cons regardless of how many cons you concentrate on. People will do whatever they want anyways so if the internet was super restricted or not ease-of-access-y then someone would make it that way. On anonymity: anonymous people are not entitled to their opinions because they have no attachment to what they post on the internet. The salty motuh breathers who believe what they read online can scream and yell all day that it's a big deal but the silent majority is generally within reason.

As the world progresses to become better, the people of the world progress to become saltier. I say let people be salty - the world will go on regardless of the number of pretzel factories litter the surface.

The Internet

6 years ago
There are pros and cons, such is obvious. We saw most of the pros up front (connectivity, email, videoconferencing, forums, wikis, the like), and are now facing the other effects of the net which aren't nearly as nice. Again, anonymous rants do hurt the targets, and when they go beyond that level (doxxing and the like), things really get out of hand.

The Internet

6 years ago

I could make the argument that the internet, which allows people with 'bad ideas' to congregate and self-reinforce, also puts these ideas and groups into the spotlight for everyone else to see and critique. For example, flat-earthers may delude themselves by reinforcing and 'cultivating' their ideas in their corner of the internet, but the ability to access and criticise their ideas (as well as critique of their ideas) has resulted in them being absolutely blasted by practically everyone else. Of course, the risk of mob mentality also runs against 'good ideas'. However, I find that said 'good ideas' aren't so easily 'debunked' or denigrated because there is usually a sizeable defence for their virtue(s). If we shut down avenues of expression for these 'marginal' ideas, it could result in a public that is less informed (or ignorant) of the merits and faults of said ideas. This makes bad ideas more insidious and more able to do harm. IIRC, there used to be a white supremist party in Britain that was actually garnering sizeable support. That dissolved when they were allowed to express their views to the public. Right now, they have almost no influence in Britain's political sphere. What could have been a sly and problematic force in politics was exposed by its own self-expression. 

So yeah, I don't think that's the case. It's hard to hide your faults under the scrutiny of millions.

The Internet

6 years ago
It's unlikely that enough people with really really niche beliefs like flat earthers would ever be able to get together to form a community around reassuring each other they're totally right, or even find each other on the first place without the help of the internet.

Same goes for people who get off to autopsy photos or the thought of being swallowed whole by an anthromorphic otter. The internet lets them easily get together and surround themselves with other weirdos who reinforce the idea that that kind of thing is cool and good and normal and that kind of thing has an amplifying effect. Suddenly anthromorphic otters are one of the most important things in your life and it's everyone else around you who is weird.

Presumably the real life community of people around you would be the ones you identify with and take your cues from otherwise, and that's varied enough that you wouldn't necessarily get hung up on any one idea to the point of obsession.

But I've been living on the internet since I was eleven so I can really only take my best guess on what life would be like without it lol.

The Internet

6 years ago
I concur. Adding onto this line of thought, reality is resilient, but hoaxes are antifragile. If you want to undermine the truth, there are so many levers you can manipulate (the scientists were paid, the media was paid, the illuminati were behind it, vested interests want to conceal the truth, ad infinitum), and individual attacks can be repulsed, while a tide of them cannot (kinda the principal behind DDOS attacks, come to think of it). Hoaxes are like hydras, kill one head and more replace them. It's whack-a-mole on an industrial/internet scale, and reality will fall (PROVE TO ME OBAMA ISN'T A LIZARD MAN!!! Prove he wasn't born in Kenya! Prove he isn't a stooge for the military industrial complex - though that last one may or may not actually be true). You can fend off a few of those, but if all you're doing is fending off false claims, you're not going to get anything productive done.

The defense of reality is possible when everyone agrees that there is a reality, but if everyone is allowed to have divergent views that are not exposed to other, non-extremist views then we have trouble. This has an interesting analogue in modern day American politics - specifically congressional district zoning. Over the past decades, parties have aimed to gerrymander regions where their own loyal voters are concentrated and break up regions where the others are strong, in order to win electoral calculus. The thought behind this was that if there are more electoral ballots for your party, your candidates can win effortlessly. What was not expected was that by extremising the political views of the residents in a district, the extremists would get reinforced, and demand more outlandish demands (NO GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT, instead of a more rational, co-operative reduced government interference a more moderate community would agree upon). That in a micro-cosm is the issue of network effects. In this case, moderate candidates which would we amenable to reaching a common ground lost in primaries to extremists who promised whatever the hardline wanted, which is good for no one. Extremists are good reformers to keep the rest of the mass from getting complacent, but if everyone being elected is an extremist, there will be no common ground for discussion, and that hurts everyone (which leads to things like the inability to pass a Healthcare replacement despite owning both houses and having 7 years, because no bill can satisfy the moderates and extremists WITHIN the party now, forget across both sides of the aisle).

The Internet

6 years ago

If the threat of a 'tide of falsehoods' is so great (to the point where everyone who has a say in it is in on it), there really isn't anything the average joe can do is there? How would shutting down 'marginal'/alternative lines of thought improve the situation? Doesn't that disadvantage those expressing the truth? The majority falsehood is already overrunning the minority truth - why would handing the power to censor the internet/media to some NGO/MCO improve the situation? How will we even know if something's a hoax or not in the first place (ad infinitum)? I don't see how your model fixes the extrapolation you've proposed. 

Either we're dealing with organised hoaxes or we're dealing with singular absurdities. The latter is usually ignored altogether, so there's no need to fend off every false claim.  There's plenty of false, poorly justified claims that have been spun up in the internet, we're not spending all our time debunking each one. Hardly anyone would stop and "not get anything productive done" if they came across a conspiracy theory detailing how lizard people are running the world. And the reason conspiracy theories don't have a larger hold on the population is (I wager) because they aren't forced to operate insidiously in the background and are exposed outright by the publicity of the media and the subsequent publicity of its critique.

For your analogy, I see the exploitation of the voting system to be a cause of 'the strong man' - coupled with poor design for the voting system. Mob mentality is a seemingly inherent issue in everyone. The ability to appeal to the masses (by being 'the strong man' ~> Trump, Putin, Hitler etc.) is, therefore, a critical skill to being a politician. It makes sense to exploit the math behind a voting system to win a democratic election. Changing the method of voting to one that doesn't lead to strong man politicians (there was a model that was used to do so in some debate I had - I'll see if I can dig it up) should cut out over-characterisation of politicians and subsequently prevent a majority 'conversion' to extremism. I still don't see how cutting out alternative views would be helpful in this regard. So, instead of trying to police the internet, wouldn't it be more useful to fix the education system/enhance it (by actively reforming how things are done, instead of throwing money at the education sector) and harbour an educated people? The problems you are proposing are a cause of poor judgement in a large number of people, so shouldn't we prevent the problem at its source instead?*

*Basically, we should fix the politicians and the sheeple instead of trying to shut down minority ideas.

The Internet

6 years ago
I'm not sure where you're implying my advocacy for censoring the internet from. I said I do not like the way it is, and I see that as a problem for stable democracy, I haven't been praising censoring as a solution though, I was favoring restricting anonymity.

A large part of the issue comes to having what's called a memetic immune system - being able to differentiate between stable and unstable ideas, which is usually a function of exposure and discernment. A lot of older people I know have a very weak memetic immunity, as in they get taken in by even the laziest picture + text hack jobs and forward them like mad amongst their social networks, because they haven't developed the skepticism to not trust everything on the internet (which comes with exposure). Younger generations are better at being skeptical, but worse at discernment (they can tell something's probably off, but not whether that's a good thing or not).

I do not necessarily advocate pulling down marginal (though in an overwhelming number of cases outlandish) thoughts, but I do advocate spreading them out amongst the population, the same way individuals with those thoughts usually are. Moderation helps keep stability (note not moderation in the online version but in the sense that fringe thoughts need not be in excess of rational, grounded ones).

I have to say, I sincerely question the validity of your claim that 'the population can/does know better,' based on events like Pizzagate and the shifting goalposts of expectation from presidential candidates. Some people with a bad memetic immunity do very much get caught into those events and come out the worse for it. The theories do not have a large grip on most of the population, but they are strong in their pockets, and it's often a vehement minority that decides policy (the mass is usually too lethargic to care, note history and politics as references).

Again, taking a broader picture, anacyclosis happens. It's happening right now as a move from rule of the many to rule of the one (see Turkey, the US, India, many other nations). It's probably a natural thing, and nothing new in politics or nations' histories. That said, it's sad to see it happen in a world with nukes.

Now, back on topic, you could argue that memetic immunity will come with time (the same way populations build herd immunity to viruses), but real world viruses have to contend with differing environments and transmission vectors and other constraints. Idea viruses can spread much faster because they attract their intended targets to themselves, and that the internet facilitates. We only hope they don't become too infectious, or reality can suffer.

The Internet

6 years ago

I assumed you were proposing the Chinese or military internet as a solution to the problem, my bad. I still don't see how restricting anonymity would address the problem though. I agree that spreading and moderating marginal ideas would keep them in check, but how could we go about it? Yeah, I don't deny that it's a problem, but there isn't much point to complaining if there isn't a solution in sight.

If anacyclosis is indeed in effect (haven't heard of it before until now)... There'll probably be greater concerns that need attention rather than this.

I think that, by taking successful education models from other countries (Singapore etc.), and adapting them into an education system like America, it would take at most three generations to achieve memetic immunity (whether we have the time to do so is questionable, but I don't see another way of fixing a 'dumb' population). In the meanwhile, adjusting the voting system to what I mentioned before would probably combat any extremism attempting to take up positions of power (unlikely to happen, but any other model is probably just as or even more dubious). Ideally, this would last in the long-term and prevent any more Pizzagates. With the state things are, however, that probably won't happen. 

The Internet

6 years ago
Ah, no, I was only offering them as examples of alternate internet structures already existing, I'm sure they have their own ups and downs, but mentioning them broadens the conversation.

One possible idea is having servers, like MMOs do. You can switch amongst them after submitting a proposal, but they are run by their own moderators. If one gets really rabid, dissolve it and spread its members out amongst a larger number of other servers. It has its downsides, but it does give advantages of distributing madness.

Read up on anacyclosis, it's a fascinating topic. The issue here is that the internet can accelerate it, and help it happen in ways never before possible, so it's role is something to be cautiously watched.

Education systems are a decent idea, but we don't have 3 generations, I'd say three years at max (given the four year presidential rotation). Within memetic issues, immunity through adaptation may well come (the way facebook morphed from being a place you post anything to one where you only post the 'best' you after people realized their posts were being used against them, though that's a whole different can of worms). What I'm concerned about is the arms race of where new technology that makes more compelling fakes rises as our ability to spot fakes improves. Google Face2Face, THAT is scary stuff.

The Internet

6 years ago

All of this sounds fair enough. I'll check out the anacyclosis stuff though (just in case I missed something).

The Internet

6 years ago
Those kids that were more willing to believe Kyrie Irving than their science/geography teacher have the exact kind of shitty parents I was talking about.