Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
This year I'd really like to try to have everyone hosting these plan them in advance. People likely to run a contest would be @BerkaZerka, @Endmaster, @Bucky, and @Gower. All of you PLEASE hash out some kind of schedule. I think four official contests is a good number that doesn't lead to exhaustion and still gives people plenty of opportunity to write/review on their own time. I may run a Best of 2020 contest in the background of this as well for major games released outside of those. Spontaneous unofficial contests could still be a thing, but unless the person running them can handle it themselves, I don't want there to be any expectation of admins micromanaging points rewards for entrants. Added to that, I'd like to start charging 125 points for non admins to host unscheduled contests (and these are points you must actually have, no going into debt) which will only be granted back with five qualifying entries. None of this is set in stone yet so, you commoners feel free to toss in your two cents. (Which will then be disregarded at will by your betters.)

2020 contests?

4 years ago

3-4 contests sounds like a good number. I'm feeling a bit bad that I'm spending so much time on my current entry that I haven't had much time to do thorough reviews on other games.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
They're a serious mental block for me when it comes to reviews, and I think that's the case for others too. Like, even when I ultimately don't get much (or any) writing done, there's this feeling of pressure like I should be doing that any time I'm at the computer. Which makes me that much less likely to do any other activities that require time and focus, like reading and thinking about words and then talking about them.

2020 contests?

4 years ago

Yes, I am in the same boat.

2020 contests?

4 years ago

This is a good idea, and I would also wonder if it makes sense for a bit of slack as this one ends--so people can read the Best of 2019 contest game before they dive right into a new contest.

September and October worked well for an inter-site contest last year.  Maybe I'll do some variation of that this year around the same-ish time.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
I will swear contests off but inevitably join one to get out of the SHAME Pit, succeed, then join the next one out of confidence only to continue the cycle.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
This is exactly why I broke and made the last second sprint for the finish line instead of just playing Slime Rancher last night. I didn't want to have a practical reason to enter the first conteat to come along, my own irrational compulsion is bad enough.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
I will like knowing in advance how many will be. Because I am a slow constant writer that doesn't like left stories discarded to start with another for a contest. I will certainly join the contests because I think are a good learning tool not only for writing better to adapt to planing and a schedule.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
Unless someone really wants to do some kind of seasonal thing with it, just pencil me in for Thanksgiving through December again. Otherwise, I could do something in the fall. But I think my theme will be election determinate.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
Still waiting to hear from Berka and End. Berka was taking about doing one early this year, bit not sure if that's still the plan.

I would like to go ahead and get dibs on January of 2021, just to keep it clear for voting if I run a Best of 2020. Although that will depend on how much interest there is in discussion of the 2019 entries once the judging on the Year's End comp concludes.

Ideally we can avoid this kind of overlap next time...although the summer comps that ran over each other were a lot of fun and produced some really good stories.

We had, what, fourteen features? And all or almost all from contests, so they do produce good results.....just, they're limited to what can be written I a month or two at most, on someone else's schedule, and I know lot of you have projects more ambitious bouncing around in your heads. A little more breathing space might make this the year of epics, and of readers actually commenting on them.

2020 contests?

4 years ago
Regrettably, I will not be able to host a contest this year as planned. I recommend @Will11 or @Ogre11 take the December slot if they have time. Both of you would do an excellent job.