Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
There's so much depressing news out there, and then I come across something like this that just brightens my day. It actually happened back in 2018 but the guy is just now getting sentenced. Get this though, it's some dumbass Brit that got drunk and tried to steal the Magna Carta...by throwing a rock at the display case while the museum was open and full of visitors.
Ms Chalmers said Royden ran off through a goods yard and was chased and caught by stonemasons working at the cathedral before he told them: “Your security’s s***.” Mr Welling said that Royden, who was described as smelling of alcohol, made comments that he should “get a medal for what he had done” and “he could have done more damage if he had a samurai sword”. He added: “He made some other comments about Muslims, Tasers and having some object strapped to his back.” Mr Welling said Royden made an “odd prepared statement” to police and added: “It appears he is doubting the authenticity of the Magna Carta.”
Oh, and his defense in court was apparently that he only tried to steal it because it wasn't real. e: lol from a different article, "He had 23 previous convictions covering 51 offences, including theft and criminal damage, the court heard." How is this guy still being allowed to wander around with rocks. Anyway, you can use this thread to share other funny or stupid news stories, or even wholesome ones for a change of pace. Someone else can get another global news thing going or dig up the old thread if you want to hear about the ongoing apocalypse. Please make your links actual links and don't post any giant thread breaking images.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

At least there'd be three more Magna Cartas, even if that guy did get his samurai sword.  Weird thing to take your aggression out on, though.  Maybe he's the reincarnation of King John. 

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Just had to share this quote from the wiki article on the Magna Carta:
An anti-Cromwellian pamphlet published in 1660, The English devil, said that the nation had been "compelled to submit to this Tyrant Nol or be cut off by him; nothing but a word and a blow, his Will was his Law; tell him of Magna Carta, he would lay his hand on his sword and cry Magna Farta".[185] In a 2005 speech the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Woolf, repeated the claim that Cromwell had referred to Magna Carta as "Magna Farta".
I'm disappointed the dude didn't do enough research to call it that in his little speech to the cops.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Beautiful

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

LOL

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
I don't know if this is funny but I read a quite a cute story this morning: "Dog rides bus to and from dog park every day to play for two hours by herself." Part of the article reads: "It all started when Eclipse's owner Jeff was taking her to the park one day and was taking too long to finish his cigarette when the bus arrived. Unwilling to delay the trip any longer the black Labrador and Mastiff mix left him behind, hopping on the bus, waited a few stops before thanking the driver and jumping off at the park."
Actually the Mirror (suggested slogan: not quite the worst) has a whole section for funny or weird news: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/dog-rides-bus-dog-park-21376483 as does the Metro.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
The labrador half is perfectly capable of that intelligence level anyway so I'm not surprised at that part, they make them seeing eye dogs for a reason. The owner sounds so lazy though, like damn dude, play with your dog.

If this guy had a baby they'd have to train themselves to mix their own formula and crawl to the daycare so he could sleep in.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
More news involving the UK!

The funniest news ever!

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Lol candlelit vigils

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

Well it was a great day for the Troll In Chief.

Trump beat impeachment and handed out a medal of freedom to cancer ridden troll Rush who will now definitely claim before he dies “I WON! SUCK IT LIBTARDS LOLOLOL!” as they furiously scream at their computer screens and cry about it on twitter/tumblr.

As an added bonus Trump made one of his eternal enemies Nancy rage so hard she ripped up his speech in front of everyone.

Here’s hoping for 4 more years of epic level trolling!

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Every interaction between Trump and Pelosi is gold. I ship them.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
This article Ford dug up really should've been the first thing posted. www.foxnews.com/opinion/ok-boomer-younger-generations-michael-levin.amp Boomer helpfully becomes example of why 'ok boomer' meme still persists.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/banksy-defaced-british-street-artist-valentines-day-mural-vandalized-now-covered-2020-02-16/ The "crude British insult" was WANKERS. It's funny because it's proof the British can be just the kind of ignorant trash they're always implying Americans are.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
I'm not posting details because you guys all want to doxx me, but I just learned some fucktard I used to be vaguely acquainted with was involved in a fender bender and reacted by pulling a fucking gun. Wait it gets better. He was in a school zone. And then when he realized 'whoops I'm menacing someone with a gun, this is illegal' his reaction was to, while still carrying the gun, run off into the woods. I unknowingly drove past five sheriffs, must have been right after it happened. I was wondering what was up since it didn't look like enough of an accident to warrant all that, so I thought it was just illegals, or drugs, or illegals with drugs. But they apparently got the whole circus out there right afterwards, game wardens included to try and hunt him down, and had to lock down the school for awhile. God speed you absolute fucking moron.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

"I'm not posting details because you guys all want to doxx me."

You misspelled rape.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
There's better than doxxing tbh because Ford would have to be in shotgun range for the attempt instead of operating his hacked government satellites from afar.

....you know I just realized jokes about Ford's autistic hacking magics no longer work now that he's going to fail his classes like some normie.

At least we still have Brad.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

Mizal suggested I put this one in this thread, and it sure is appropriate.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/01/yale-plans-to-end-art-history-course-deemed-too-straight-white-male/

Not sure how Renaissance art history is too straight and white. Most of them were Italian, so not really white and given that they were artists, most of them were sucking cock at least half the time anyway.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Have you seen the Sistine Chapel's ceiling? Shit's full of dudes with their dicks hanging out.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

Also being cancelled at Yale--a survey course on "ancient Middle East, Egypt, and pre-Renaissance European art."  According to the website, new courses will replace those two clases. "Some will engage with the monuments and masterpieces of European and American art, some will introduce other world traditions, and some will be organized thematically offering comparative perspectives." 

Classes get cancelled and replaced by other classes constantly.  It doesn't seem too weird to me.  This National Review article notes what the new classes are.  They sound pretty great.

Yale Teaches World Art

Here is the article that those wresting their required panic-word-count takes the pull quote from.  It's from the Yale Daily News Blog, not the academics.  Yale Blog

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
"My biggest critique of the decision is that it’s a disservice to undergrads,” Mahlon Sorensen ’22 said. “If you get rid of that one, all-encompassing course, then to understand the Western canon of art, students are going to have to take multiple art history courses. Which is all well and good for the art history major, but it sucks for the rest of us, which, I would say, make up the vast majority of the people who are taking [HSAR 115]."

Do any non-white people become art history majors? Did they just make a move that makes things difficult for everyone else while allowing the white people it benefits to pat themselves on the back for "de-colonizing" art?

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

Does learning about non-Western art along with Western art really make it harder?  It sounds cool to get to learn about all sorts of art.  I would be annoyed if they wholly removed Renaissance art, but it looks like there's a bunch in there.

The sad part is that the amount of people majoring in *any* humanities field is declining to the point of irrelevancy.

Majors by Race

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Having to take several classes instead of one class sounds harder and more expensive, yes, and the majority of students are just trying to do the minimum for their degree so that they can start looking into a means to spend most of the rest of their life digging their way out of the crushing debt acquired in getting it.

Art, history, literature, etc are way more interesting than STEM shit but basically no one has the luxury of taking classes just for their own sake, so I'm not surprised they're becoming irrelevant even if I agree it is sad and will lead to a generation of savages.

As the economy continues to look depressing, and Baby Boomers continue not dying fast enough and blaming all of society’s ills on millennials...

Cool link.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
Also I am a fish now. Hi.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago

This news about the dying of our art and culture has made you want to regress back to our watery ancestors and just, you know, swim and not think about hard stuff.  I have days like that.

Stupid News Thread

4 years ago
A man named Stemen stabbed a woman with a syringe full of semen.