Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Another word for limited?

3 years ago

Meta-language question: Modern fantasy novels are typically written with a “strongly limited third-person narrator”, where the "limited" means we get told only what the focal character experiences and what he /she thinks about. The scope is narrowed, to one characters field of vision, so to speak. The opposite would be an omniscient narrator.

Obviously, the same vocabulary can also be applied to storygames, i.e. you could write a storygame with a limited narrator or an omniscient narrator.

Now here is the question: To discuss storygames it would also be useful to have a different set of terms to describe how much choices effect the world. In some games a choice can change everything, whereas in others we only control one character and all other changes to the story only happen in response to the character's actions. What would you call that? limited vs. omnipotent games? narrow vs. wide games?

3 years ago

From what I understand, there's three types of third person narrative:

Third-person objective: The narrative is reported by a neutral, impersonal observer.

Third-person omniscient: An all-knowing narrator not only reports the facts but may also interpret events and relate the thoughts and feelings of any character.

Third-person limited: A narrator reports the facts and interprets events from the perspective of a single character.

For story games, I'd just use the same words as they'd be used in regular novels. Objective, Omniscient and Limited. Honestly though, I don't see this subject coming up too often in regards to story games, since most of the games I play seem to be in second person.

3 years ago

Yes, but would be the equivalent for actions, rather than observations?

(Also: first and second person can use the same categories. Although I see it more like a continuum, rather than three classes.)

3 years ago

Not 100% sure what you mean though. Do you mean like, the difference between choices where we only control one players actions and games where we can control multiple players actions? Or choices where you can control something that's completely out of the character's control?

3 years ago

Some of the games have choices like

You open the door and you see

1. Your Brother
  2. A dragon
  3. Absolutely Nothing

Instead of the more common

You are in a basement

1. Search for valuables
  2. Hide
  3. Sing a song

3 years ago

Oh... Well in cases like that, I'd call the games shitty vs not shitty. :p

3 years ago
Same.

3 years ago

I dunno, I've been skimming the bottom of the barrel for "puzzle" and whatnot games, and if I have to "search" or hide from one more goddamned thing in order to progress...

3 years ago
So, how would you classify 16 words for example?

3 years ago

I really don't know. I think that game's kind of in a category all on it's own. ^_^

3 years ago
Same!

3 years ago

How about... Regular games vs God-mode games? ^_^

3 years ago
I support this motion!

3 years ago
The latter is more of a story generator than a game, if anything. The example is also what I'd call a consistent vs inconsistent world, although I know that's not what he was getting at in the OP.

Plot- vs player-controlled, maybe?

3 years ago

Player Controlled seems like it's hitting the nail on the head honestly.

3 years ago
Agree