Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

First person?

8 years ago

Is it doable or does it distract people?

First person?

8 years ago

...Isn't CYS always first person?

First person?

8 years ago

'You' is second person.

First person is doable, just as much as third person is. It's unusual but if you have a solid reason for using it than go with what works. A good story is a good story, no one's going to complain about the POV if you've got the important things right.

First person?

8 years ago

It's second person most of the time.

First person?

8 years ago

Yeah. I got confused with first person and second person. I meant second person.

First person?

8 years ago
There are a few stories on the site in first and third person. I think one of tsmpaul's space operas is in third person if I recall correctly. And the new carnival game is in first person. Though, personally, I didn't think that one was done particularly well.

EDIT: Snow is a good example of first person CYOA done well.

First person?

8 years ago

I think by 'Choose Your Story' users tend to take the phrase literally, meaning second person adventures are the norm...however, an interactive story's x factor is giving the reader the ability to dictate the crucial choices of the story protagonist. It adds an extra dimension to the potential immersion because the reader feels like they have semi-control over this constructed world.

Anyways. my point is that the protagonist doesn't have to be the reader 'i.e second person', I actually prefer third person because it has a novelistic, narrative tone overall. Either way if you can write well, you shouldn't worry about which perspective you use, because i don't think anyone reading is gonna crucify the creative decision, or take a massive dump on you in the review section.

First person?

8 years ago
It's definitely doable, but a first person narrative needs a strong voice to carry the story.

First person?

8 years ago

Quite true. If one makes a compelling protagonist with a good grip on their own identity, I'd say go for it. If not, or if the story is meant to be about the reader rather than a specific person, then I'd say go with second person. 

First person?

8 years ago

Well, I would like to write a apocalyptic story with a main character who is shaped by the reader's choices.

First person?

8 years ago

You can edit your posts if no one's replied to them yet, you know.

The main reason I'd see for going with first person in his format would be to play around with an unreliable narrator, or an uncooperative one. I think something really interesting that you don't see often in CYOAs could be done with either. 

On the other hand, 'The main character shaped by the reader's choices' is the same as any story, and gives the reader all the control. In that case, I don't see any reason to break away from the standard second person format.

First person?

8 years ago

I didn't know that, thanks! I think I'll change it to 2nd person then.

First person?

8 years ago

Like an innocent girl who could stay that way or be ruthless ya know? I'd also like to LGBT elements since there is a lack of that here.

First person?

8 years ago

I haven't seen anything like it so i would like to try.