Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

hey so im writing this scifi thats LGBT+ any tips?

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

A lot of alien lesbian sex.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

What EndMaster said.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago
Aliens get two humans for their zoo without realizing they're both male and hijinks ensue as they try to get them to breed.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

And this is why you're the best LGBT story writer we have on here.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

Agree so much though! Not trying to promote here but I'm doing the same thing, with superheroes, not aliens. Steal my idea if you want I'll probs never finish anyway lol.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

Making a story about superheroes should be like shooting babies in a barrel.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

I don't know what this means.

Is it a sci-fi that includes LGBT+ characters? If so, write normally, and don't talk about their sexuality unless it's relevant. Nothing worse than having a character's entire purpose being "Gay" or "Black" or whatever.

Is it a sci-fi that deals with LGBT+ discrimination? If so, do whatever works. Try to show the villains as more than just evil bigots, and having real characteristics. People can be really kind, decent guys in most ways but scum in some. Maybe your homophobic character is normally quite sweet, but the issue is their religion, that encourages homophobic beliefs.

Is it a sci-fi that deals with a metaphorical issue to deal with LGBT+ issues? Maybe like a techno-plague that's a metaphor for how AIDs affected the homosexual community or some shit? If so, perhaps reach lower, because that shit's hard, but maybe you're capable.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

Why not? That's what they do in horror flicks, and that works wonders! Like a certain character? So long they're a virgin, they'll live (unless they're the token black guy, in which case they always die first).

In all seriousness, I can't think of any sci-fi that can contain relevant LGBT elements to it. Unless it's a futuristic government of sorts that outlaws homosexuality or whatnot - in which case though, you'd have to worry about explaining how to be that way in a government that strictly forbids it.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago
Flip it: a tyrannical government called the Homogeneity, due to overpopulation, outlaws heterosexuality, forcing straight people into controlled breeding camps. One Nation, One Race, One Gender. The only way to equality is through the elimination of variance.

You could be a homogeneous couple, shocked by the hetero reveal of a close friend, that leads a campaign that says it's okay to love who you love, even if they are different.

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago

You can't think of any sci-fi that CAN contain relevant LGBT elements to it? Well, for ones that actually do, tehre's some big Wikipedia list I don't have time to get through, so here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT-themed_speculative_fiction

But in regard to actual usage, it's not very hard. You can go straightforward and directly have them deal with LGBT issues. I can think of an abundance of sci-fi pieces that deal with the concept of both sex and gender being radically different for alien species, dealing with a discussion of the difference between sex and gender, but you can also go with whatever forced homosexuality or heterosexuality Clamurai mentioned.

Of course, the cooler way to deal with it is through metaphor. At its thinnest, Futurama had an episode that deal with robot-human marriage, and was clearly meant to be a metaphor for homosexual marriage. Of course, you can take it to any place you want to with this.

Maybe you try to make a point about how trans people are marginalized, you write a story a story about an alien without gender struggling to fit into Terran society, and just keeping reaching issues as humans expect it to adhere to their idea of gender, and casually just kind of push it into that role.

Maybe cloning becomes popular, but clones are seen as sort of these lesser people, and there's an outbreak of disease among them because they're cloned, but it's hinted its mainly because they don't have same access to healthcare, for a good whole analogy about gay life and dealing with AIDS in a toxic society. 

Maybe it's about an AI that wants to reproduce, but AI reproduction is illegal due to fears of a singularity, so the AI wants to adopt biological children, but people say that you can't raise a child without biological parents, and that a human child needs a human mother, and it's all a big analogy for gay adoption.

There's endless ways you can use sci-fi to talk about LGBT+ issues, it's only restricted by imagination. 

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago
Here I found the sci fi story:

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago
This story is:

A:Gay
B:OH!

LGBT Scifi Story lol

5 years ago
bleh