Player Comments on A Titanic Experience

It's hard to find a well made edutainment storygame on this site, and I can assure you that this is pretty well made. I can see the thought and willpower that went into this.

When I first saw the title, I was expecting the predictable, being a survivor on the Titanic, having small misadventures throughout the ship with facts left and right, but no. In the beginning you could pick which ship you were on. This surprised me, because I didn't expect too much.

Instead, what I got was an enjoyable, historically accurate piece of work with a bunch of paths to try out. Keep up the great work, and make the edutainment category great again!
-- Zephyrme2847 on 8/22/2016 3:43:12 AM with a score of 0
I really like how detailed it is, and the different perspectives you can choose. You can be on other ships, which is pretty cool seeing those perspectives.
-- alpenianA on 7/31/2020 2:19:11 AM with a score of 0
Yee I liked it it be a good game
-- A cool bagel on 5/20/2020 9:05:29 AM with a score of 0
This is a facinating game, i play it a lot. it is very exiting and helps me understand what it was like for the passengers and crew of the R.M.S Titanic.
-- Wyatt on 5/14/2020 12:32:27 PM with a score of 0
That’s a cool game
-- Yeet on 2/5/2020 11:29:59 AM with a score of 0
That’s a cool game
-- Yeet on 2/5/2020 11:29:55 AM with a score of 0
It was fun, but could have been better
-- Christine on 2/5/2020 11:29:46 AM with a score of 0
i liked it a lot
-- WillyWinky on 10/1/2019 3:33:58 AM with a score of 0
The most ingenious part of this story is the opportunity to re-experience this well-known historical event from multiple perspectives.

Being reasonably familiar with the events and circumstances surrounding the Titanic's final evening--as just about anyone who was of movie-going age in 1997 should be--I wasn't really surprised by any of the information contained in this story, but it fully met my expectations for an "edutainment" story of about 18,000 words.

At the beginning of this storygame, you are presented with a list of options. Think of these more as perspectives than as characters or even as roles. I chose to cycle through the three main passenger options, from Third Class to First Class, with the expected changes in circumstance that each option brought. The Titanic was a very stratified ship, with sharply drawn class distinctions, so even though the baseline events are identical in every storypath, the particulars about how you either live or die in the early morning hours of April 15, 1912 vary from one branch to the other.

Nevertheless, there are lots of redundancies, because basically your goal in every instance, obviously, is to survive the ship. Therefore it was refreshing to discover the quartermaster option, in which you get to be a mid-level officer with various small responsibilities aboard the ship. By following this path, there was a longer delay and more interesting things to do before reaching the inevitable "get on the lifeboat/don't get on the lifeboat" choice (and its foregone conclusions).

Being modern readers with advance knowledge of the ending (SPOILER: The Titanic sinks!) we already know the best place to be is in one of those lifeboats. This foreknowledge (which can't be helped) works against the story, reducing the potential for the kind of tension and suspense required to propel the reader through the narrative.

It also doesn't help that the story is told from a very detached perspective, no matter which role you assume. None of the "characters" I followed were really characters; in fact they were all little more than anonymous observers dispassionately watching history literally going down that night.

So too were most of the other characters that you meet, who are typically described as "a man standing beside you" and whatnot. I get it, for the people on board the sinking ship events were developing quickly and people weren't standing around sharing their life histories.

But in none of the branches that I read did the main character have any friends/family/allies that might've helped create a more personable story. All of that narrative detachment may help convey the facts efficiently, but it kills the sense of immersion that storygame authors strive for--and that readers expect.

By comparison, I recommend "Terror on the Titanic" by Jim Wallace, which was book #169 in the original Choose Your Own Adventure series, published in 1996. (It has been reissued as book #24 in the revamped CYOA, but the original has illustrations that are far superior to those in the new version.) In that story, with its 19 endings, "you" were a more of a defined character, complete with a bit of a backstory and a mystery to solve as you sailed to New York. In the course of exploring that little mystery you also explored the ship, making you more than just a nameless pair of eyes witnessing history.

In fact, "TOTT" was so immersive that there was even an opportunity for you to spot the iceberg, warn the crew, and thus spare the ship from disaster; that storypath ends with the Titanic sailing into New York Harbor safe and sound, and you finally solving that mystery of yours in a Manhattan hotel.
-- Bill_Ingersoll on 6/14/2019 7:25:19 PM with a score of 0
Ok
-- TheHamsterGal on 4/15/2019 6:20:00 PM with a score of 0
Good. But could have been betted
-- Soham on 10/28/2018 7:04:19 AM with a score of 0
Great read!
-- KLeGrand141 on 3/29/2018 9:40:30 PM with a score of 0
I enjoy it because of how simple it is. And how you can choose various perspectives. I enjoy how each perspective from crew to passengers are different. 8/8, I also Recommend it to a newcomer like me!
-- Ugandan_Knuckles on 1/10/2018 12:39:30 PM with a score of 0
A brilliant game with many perspectives. Good job!
-- TestingJest on 9/21/2017 11:31:30 PM with a score of 0
Enjoyable and compelling, contemplative. An unusually serious offering. Approaching this from a logical tactical perspective is unnecessary. There is no adrenaline rush to be had for success, as it is not that kind of book. Ambitious to use the gamebook medium to handle such a tragedy. The terse writing style normal to gamebooks doesn't work here, more description is needed. Worth a read, but not worth playing more than once in my opinion.
-- Joe on 2/14/2017 11:54:48 PM with a score of 0
This is pretty good!
-- ZombieGamer9188 on 2/14/2017 7:22:32 PM with a score of 0
Not very involved. Definitely researched.
-- Quorrah on 1/11/2017 10:32:22 PM with a score of 0
This was amazing! I don't understand why it's only a 5. Thanks for writing.
-- MsGwinn on 11/23/2016 12:29:03 AM with a score of 0
good game 10/10
-- gamer god on 6/24/2016 3:11:33 AM with a score of 0
Next time can you make one about the estonia disaster
-- History on 6/16/2016 11:21:59 AM with a score of 0
First class in Titanic, survived.
-- Deadly Lion on 5/15/2016 4:44:14 PM with a score of 0
Officer by the third time, 8 pm to midnight, waked Captain Lord and dropped in on the radio operator.
-- Deadly Lion on 5/15/2016 4:08:22 PM with a score of 0
Again, officer in the Californian, 4 am to 8 am, waked the operator.
-- Deadly Lion on 5/15/2016 4:00:48 PM with a score of 0
Officer on the Californian, midnight to 4 am, did not wake Captain Lord.
Very good story, will play more.
-- Deadly Lion on 5/15/2016 3:57:50 PM with a score of 0
Very nice... 6/8.
I found that unlike some games, there wasn't any spelling errors (As far as I found). It's also not a sad romance story (that everyone is bored of) like the movie Titanic, especially the part where you can choose the ship you are on and the passenger you are. Like I said, very nice.
-- rosystar on 5/11/2016 7:45:49 PM with a score of 0
Very well done. Good job.
-- Rathalon1213 on 5/2/2016 12:06:00 PM with a score of 0
This is really good. I died. Lol
-- bren on 4/18/2016 3:08:40 AM with a score of 0
Good writing and history understanding. I do wish there was some kind of actual story to it though.
-- MasonJarGuzzi on 3/12/2016 2:35:57 AM with a score of 0
good job
-- LilacRain on 3/8/2016 6:53:01 PM with a score of 0
Really good
-- stellaclaire11 on 12/31/2015 8:43:27 AM with a score of 0
5/8
-- Frontierloc on 12/28/2015 8:32:52 PM with a score of 0
I love edutainment games and this one is definitely a great one! :) loved it and could play it again and again. This story in particular made me emotionally wrapped up! Thanks for making a great game
~E
-- AandEcoproductions on 12/27/2015 4:16:03 PM with a score of 0
Beautiful.
-- Isshyyyji on 10/22/2015 11:11:22 AM with a score of 0
SO FUN! (this is so well made!!!$$$)
-- diana bo$$ Tscho on 9/1/2015 1:32:32 PM with a score of 0
the story was pretty good except nothin was really happening. no action :/
-- constance benford on 9/1/2015 12:58:10 PM with a score of 0
Fun following the story, and being aboard the Carpathia.
-- Lexi on 9/1/2015 12:57:46 PM with a score of 0
i thought it was fun and i liked playing it but dont be on the carpathia
-- andrew on 9/1/2015 11:14:56 AM with a score of 0
It was a fun story read and play along.
-- Parsa Ahmadi Nasab Emran on 9/1/2015 10:48:36 AM with a score of 0
That was so good
-- 1816Adry on 8/31/2015 10:32:10 PM with a score of 0
ayeeeeeeeeeee! *claps*
-- Caleb on 8/31/2015 12:33:41 PM with a score of 0
It Was Better than Reeses Cup
-- Isaiah Curry on 8/31/2015 12:32:05 PM with a score of 0
Good job. It was fun to play from all the perspectives.
-- betaband on 8/11/2015 11:39:54 PM with a score of 0
That was very good however, there aren't a lot of choices, even on the Titanic
-- AthenaT on 5/28/2015 10:40:38 PM with a score of 0
I love it!!!!!!!!! :3
-- Briarlight4Ever on 5/2/2015 9:54:54 PM with a score of 0
It's pretty good.
-- Wolfina on 4/30/2015 9:29:42 PM with a score of 0
I like it. But I knew that I was on the Titanic, so I chose accordingly.
-- thequeen13 on 3/17/2015 4:30:44 PM with a score of 0
good game, fun and you learn stuff
-- saxon knoxs on 3/8/2015 9:47:28 PM with a score of 0
Great job, and historically accurate. 6/8
-- Chris113022 on 3/8/2015 7:52:21 PM with a score of 0
Thanks for the mostly positive feedback guys. Some of the spelling/grammar mistakes I like to put down to the differences between British and American English but Bucky you're quite right, not putting commas at the end of dialogue is a mistake I make a lot.
I think after reading so much about the Titanic it was beginning to get to me... my favourite story was the sailor who downed a bottle of gin in one go, accidentally fell over the railing of the ship, landed right next to a lifeboat that had just been lowered and spent most of the next four hours sleeping :P
The most ironic thing is that some of the passengers paid A LOT of money (up to $10,000) to die a very painful death in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean...
-- Will11 on 3/6/2015 11:19:55 PM with a score of 0
I enjoyed the varied perspective format. One grammar error I noticed.

“Icebergs” you tell him.

When you have dialogue and tag a speaker afterward, you put a comma after the last spoken word (assuming you aren't ending the dialogue with an exclamation or question mark). It should be...

"Icebergs," you tell him.

This is how the reverse should look.
You tell him, "Icebergs."

Overall, quite enjoyable. Well done.
-- Bucky on 3/6/2015 11:52:58 AM with a score of 0
I haven't read through all the perspectives, but this was fantastic. The writing was well done and the story was apparantly very accurate (thanks for providing sources). I agree with everyone else, this is a great contribution to Edutainmet. My only complaint is that it was slightly linear, but I guess that can't be helped.

5/8.
-- FazzTheMan on 3/6/2015 1:40:02 AM with a score of 0
The death of innocents has never been this delightful.
-- Malkalack on 3/5/2015 8:07:14 PM with a score of 0
Liberals say that the titanic is sinking but my side of the boat lifted 200 feet in the air
-- Ford on 3/5/2015 6:38:35 PM with a score of 0
This is, in my opinion, an excellent addition to our Edutainment section. I think you did a very good job on this one and I also think that this is an admirable format / method for reading through a historical event.
-- Kiel_Farren on 3/5/2015 5:43:58 PM with a score of 0
Nice game. Educational.
-- Penworth on 3/5/2015 12:57:02 PM with a score of 0
This left me awestruck. You've written very well- there were few grammatical errors.
I've given this story a 6/8. Keep on writing!
-- DerpBacon on 3/5/2015 10:54:21 AM with a score of 0
Excellent work! You are a very talented author at best, and I see that you were very attached in doing this glorious piece of writing, Only a small smudge of grammar mistakes, but otherwise amazing! Write more!

8/8