Hunters and the Hunted

a Horror by ultraoverlord

Commended by BerkaZerka on 11/11/2018 10:50:02 AM

Player Rating5.60/8

"#224 overall, #21 for 2018"
based on 52 ratings since 10/28/2018
played 1,036 times (finished 71)

"march in the swamp"

"Not going to lose any sleep"

"need to be accompanied by an adult"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG.

They came at night, hunting relentlessly for humans. Nobody knew where they came from, why they were here, or what they were.

This is a contest entry for BZ's creatures of the night contest.

A bit short but still good.
-- Nazhfa on 5/4/2020 7:44:27 AM with a score of 0
I loved it. I would say it is a pretty original idea.
-- Metal on 5/3/2020 9:28:37 PM with a score of 0
Scared the poop out of me for sure!But was not bad.
-- DJ on 5/2/2020 11:07:57 AM with a score of 0
Pretty nice!
-- Sharnae on 4/30/2020 10:59:16 PM with a score of 0
It was okay.
-- Sharnae on 4/30/2020 10:30:58 PM with a score of 0
I died twice and ended up at the revolution ending. All in all this was well written and planned out as far as i can tell
-- w0lfwrit3r56783 on 4/22/2020 12:40:49 PM with a score of 0
In this post, I will discuss the endings and paths. You have been warned of SPOILERS.

At first glance, I thought this was just going to be another zombie or vampire story. However, once you get to the second page you see that’s not the case at all. The story was unique in the way that the Hunters choose who to make into slaves. I also think it shows the MC’s willpower to resist the blood lust right off the bat. Perhaps there are others like him/her in the world. I liked how through out the story it’s this humanity vs animal within the main character. Even when you start going down the humanity path, there is still a chance to almost give in.

I got all endings I believe. I was satisfied with all of them. I really enjoyed the revolution one simply because there’s this moment where the humans realize these monsters can be killed. I would have loved it to be continued just because I would like to see the two humans and the MC go to the other neighborhoods. However, I am also glad it ended there so the reader can sort up think up their own continuation of how the war will be won. I also liked the insanity ending simply because of the whole “well one more wouldn’t hurt” is pretty funny and people can relate to having that mindset. And finally, the extinction ending was exactly what I expected so no issues there.

Overall, it was a great read. The only thing that was weird was how everyone still went to school or work, even though people are going missing every night and there are monsters lurking. I felt like I could really picture the settings and get a very clear picture of what was going on. Great job! Hope to see more work like this from you.
-- DireRyse on 4/18/2020 10:17:27 PM with a score of 0
I have some mixed feelings regarding this game. On the one hand, the writing itself is spectacular. It's well-polished, with few grammatical/spelling errors, and very suspenseful. I genuinely enjoyed reading this, and pursued all of the pathways just to see what diversity the story had to offer. On the other hand, the game seems a bit overly linear / short.

The premise was really interesting. I love how the protagonist (SPOILERS): had the option to reveal themselves in different parts of the narrative, even though this often led to a bad ending. I also liked the diversity of moral choices offered, and the interactions between the protagonist and the humans (both turned and non-turned). I love how so many of the humans didn't trust him, whereas others that he'd fostered relationships with tentatively did.

As some other people mentioned, I did feel like a couple of the moral choices were forced choices. (SPOILERS: we're forced to kill the woman in the beginning, if we don't want an immediate 'game over'. If we want to obtain the game's true ending -- the revolution ending -- we must also choose to betray one of the fellow turned, and let them die, for the sake of helping humankind).

These seemed like such interesting pathways to pursue. I would've liked to see more branching for these parts. And as for the canon storyline; I wish this was longer as well. It was just an enjoy to read, and I would've liked to see more. How do the other humans react to this member of the undead helping them? Does the undead protagonist get any more people to help him on his quest?

Another comment I have is regarding the protagonist's family and loved ones. (SPOILERS: We only see his wife on the ending in which we choose to be a killer. Why couldn't we have seen his family on the ending in which we chose to help?) I would've loved to see these interactions, and if he could've tentatively gotten his previous family members to trust him. There is also room for increased drama, here, if the protagonist continues to deal with his unceasing hunger.

I'd give this game a 5.5 / 8, which I've rounded up to a 6/8 since the rating system doesn't allow half-ratings. But I think this could make for an excellent story if it was simply expanded more.
-- Reader82 on 1/26/2020 12:53:34 AM with a score of 0