Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago

Hello. I have been searching through the forum and reading through the articles in the Help & Info section, but have been unable to work out how to center text and images in the Advanced Editor. I can see from other games that it is possible, but nothing I do seems to quite work. Would appreciate any guidance in this regard.

I have also noticed that in some games there is no empty line between sentences that seem to end with the

<br />

script. I am attempting to write conversations, and the great amount of white space is eating away at my peace of mind. Is there a way to remove this white space, as one sees in Endmaster's games for instance? Thank you all.

Best,

Al

Edit: To clarify my second query, this is a screenshot from Eternal where there is no white space between sentences: 

While this is a screenshot of the same if I copy it into a page in my game: 

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago

Text and images can be centered by using <center> </center> before and after whatever it is you're trying to center.

As for the paragraph spacing, I am of the frame of mind that you're better off with those spaces, unless you're also indenting the first line of each paragraph, as in a book.

That practice of including spaces between some paragraphs, but going spaceless during dialogue sequences is... idiosyncratic to say the least, and would get you laughed at by graphic design geeks.

Having no spaces and no indentation certainly doesn't increase readability in my opinion, and it isn't correct typography to the best of my knowledge either.

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago

Thank you for the response. I have previously tried that piece of code, but it hasn't worked. The way I did it was by clicking on Source, placing the code, and then returning to the Rich Text Editor by clicking on Source again. When I did this, the text would be as it is, and returning to Source revealed that the centring code has disappeared.

On the topic of indenting, I would actually go for indenting over paragraph spaces, but the increase indent and decrease indent buttons are permanently greyed out for me, even though I am certain they were not greyed out some months back since I made use of them.

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago

So yes, the code isn't going to stick using the RTE. Yes you can use the RTE, go to Source, insert the code, and save the page; if you then open up the story viewer and go to the page in question, you'll see your text centered just the way you want it.

But as soon as you go back into the RTE and start editing that page again, your extra code is immediately forgotten. Therefore placing the code would have to be the very last thing you do.

The RTE was upgraded a few months ago, and I believe the omission of left/right/center paragraph options is a bug that can be fixed.

Those grayed-out indenting buttons aren't what you think they are. You would use them if you were creating an outline, like this

1. Main Topic
    1. Indented sub-topic
      1. Indented sub-sub-topic
    2. Less indented sub-topic
  2. Next main topic

Those buttons aren't for paragraph indentation.

If you're relying on a lot of codes for special formatting, then you might keep your sanity more by turning off the RTE.

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago

Wow, thank you! It worked. I'm very grateful to you for clarifying that.

I will experiment with turning the RTE off, but my writing is extremely light on codes. I haven't ventured into the realm of variables and items and so on, just the odd bit of formatting. I will do as you say and save formatting for last, or otherwise turn the RTE off if that proves too troublesome. Many thanks Mr Ingersoll!

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago

You're welcome. And I feel the same way; I'm a writer, not a coder, so I use the RTE most of the time, and try to use the minimum amount of coding to accomplish what I need.

Text and Image Alignment

4 years ago
Yeah just turn it off. The downside there of course is that your anyway created pages will be filled with the unnecessary crud it inserted, but for new ones the only HTML you'll need is for italics and bold. It's not necessary to write in code for line breaks.