Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Need info

3 years ago

Hmm, I need to find an answer to the following issue.

Let's say I use mana, favor, stamina, life, armor, gold, sanity and morale variables for each character.
I'd like to see the stat changes indicated every time it happens, but so far all I can do is have them all appear at the bottom of each text. At least you can see where you're situated. Even if the stat changes for the choices made are not clearly indicated, the results at the bottom are modified accordingly. Is there a way to see only the changed variables every time a choice is made or do I need to check every box in the variable setting so the stats appear at all times throughout the story?

This leads to another issue.

Admitting some characters don't have access to certain stats, and every chapter is in the perspective of a different character, is there a way to choose which stats are shown for the first chapter, and which stats are shown for the second? At the moment, the list of stats at the bottom of each segment is overly long, with four characters having multiple variables, some of them of no use in the current chapter. I'm asking if I can choose which stats are displayed for each chapter separately, or if I need to create a new story for every chapter in order to do that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Need info

3 years ago
Have you had a look over the articles on scripting yet?

I'm at work right now but I'll get back with some examples in a bit if none of the more techy people have dropped in by then.

Need info

3 years ago

Yes, I've been reading about it on this site but I lacked the basic knowledge of scripting to understand correctly.  So I went on the Internet to learn more about the subject. Thing is, every time I try to enter a script, an error occurs and it says, "did not recognize" followed by the first letter of whatever I type in. I'm guessing there's something missing to my knowledge still, and I probably just don't know the format of whatever I should write there. I believe I understood the potential possibility of affected stats being indicated using scripting methods, but so far I haven't managed to make the game accept any of my commands. Still need to do some research to comprehend. I am eager for your examples, thanks a lot!

Edit : I've started checking threads again on this site, now that I have better understanding of the concept of scripting. Lots of symbols and special characters I'll have to get used to. Might take a few days to memorize and master, if that is what is needed. 

Need info

3 years ago
Can you post an example of what you're doing?

I'm guessing you'll need to set up a global pagescript to display different sets of stats by chapter, but I'll need to test it first.

You're right though that some of the articles aren't as helpful as they could be, it's just a matter of finding people in the community able to sit down and write better ones though.

Need info

3 years ago

I wanted to publish Chapter 1 today but I need to wait two days since I'm new to the site.

I'm not sure what kind of example I could post to help you.

Say every character have variables like Life, Gold, Morale, Sanity, etc.

Aetheris has access to the mana variable in chapter 1, but not favor or stamina.
Sulven has access to the favor variable in chapter 2, but not mana or stamina.

Gale has access to the armor and stamina variables in chapter 3, but not mana or favor.

Pixen has access to all of them in chapter 4.

Aetheris comes back in chapter 5, and continues with his stats from the end of chapter 1.
That's the gist of what I'd need I think.

The global pagescript idea seams correct for what use I seek. I still need to read a lot of articles on this site, some are enlightening truly, now that I know what they're about. From beginner to expert, I'll read them all before tonight.

I'll complete the lecture before asking any more questions, I think it's best. I didn't read the right articles the first time.
It took me to the Sherlock Holmes tutorial story and that didn't really help me know what scripting was. Now I've found the section with a thorough explanation. Let's see if I manage something after that.

Thanks truly. I appreciate your help.

Need info

3 years ago
I meant an example of what you were typing that gave the error, but yes there's no rush anyway with the waiting time to publish.

Usually though it's not the best idea to post unfinished stories. If Chapter 1 works as a standalone story that's one thing, but if you're intending to take it down and keep adding more chapters you're going to be better off as far as ratings/reviews just having the entire story finished before you publish.

Need info

3 years ago

Okay, thanks! Duly noted! Though attempting to publish chapter 1 was more of a test for the site before anything else, it is true my story will be a long one and it is not completed yet. I thought I'd be able to add a chapter once in a while to keep something new on the table. I'm not even sure I intend to end the story definitely. There's just so much I wanna explore, I might always keep a potential opening for more adventure. Anyhow, I'll be creating endings for the first book of the series and thus separate it from the second book. That would do. 

Sorry I misunderstood your inquiry about the examples.

I wasn't using the correct format when entering commands. I'm still exploring, but it worked so far. 
Thanks for the answer!

Need info

3 years ago
Based on what you've asked, you would likely need a variable to keep track of what chapter you're in. Then if you are putting info on the page from the global script, you'll just need blocks of if statements to tell which variables to display, like if chapter =1 or chapter =2 show stamina. But OR doesn't work well, so you'll probably want to use nested if statements...or just repeat blocks: if chapter = 1 show this and this; if chapter = 2 show that and the other thing.

Need info

3 years ago

Awesome! Thanks! Seems simple enough. Great suggestion!