Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 11/30/2015: not a bug

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Honestly, I've been on this site for a bit, (not too long, and not a n00b either) and I have seen this(') everywhere. 

Can any one tell me what it is, and if you can, how do you fix it?

What is ' ?

8 years ago

It's one of the ways HTML encodes apostrophes. When going from HTML to text, this site, in some places, doesn't replace ' (and some others) with the proper symbol. You may be able to edit the source of whatever you're typing and replace the string with an actual apostrophe, but I don't know for sure if it'll let you.

What is ' ?

8 years ago

That there is an HTML character reference. &uuml, for instance, creates an ü.

&#39 makes a comma.

What is ' ?

8 years ago

So that's it?

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Wait, no, it's an apostrophe.

But, yes, when you are using HTML to write a page, it can be difficult to use quotation marks and apostrophes without them getting executed as part of the code, so you use a character reference. Also, character references make it easy for you to use special characters, like "ü".

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Ah yes, the so-called "high comma".

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Shut up, we all make mistakes.

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Yes, yes, we do....

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Anyways, do you think this (') may have the potential to become a CYS meme of some sort?

What is ' ?

8 years ago

I hope not.

What is ' ?

8 years ago

wait, did you edit your reply?

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Yes.

You are aware that you can edit your posts, right, as opposed to replying to them?

What is ' ?

8 years ago

Oh I knew that already. I was reading your original reply and then' poof ' I saw it change. And i was like what the- . I just wanted to see if I was not going insane is all.

What is ' ?

8 years ago

I just notice that you've been replying to your own posts a lot.

What is ' ?

8 years ago

what do you mean?

'