Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 8/19/2019: Agreed. X (1/5/10 maybe) storygames with a 5 rating.

Storygame trophy

6 years ago

How about a trophy that shows who has the most storygames? But they can't be just any storygame; they have to be at least 4/8 long, and 4/8 rated. It could have a book or something on it, and be awarded to the top ten storygame makers, top five would make it glow. We have trophies for the top forum posters, why not the storygame makers? Like say you need ten storygames to get the trophy, and you do. But one is low rated or too short. You can't get the trophy, and you need to make another storygame that is good to get it.

Storygame trophy

6 years ago

First, it takes a bunch of effort to make a trophy. Without 3J, we can't actually make one.
This trophy also would be way too easy to receive. I'd just spam a few storygames to have it, but then 14 other people would spam storygames as well. The result would be an influx of storygames that low-quality but not low enough to delete. That'd be bad for the site.
I feel like the highest poster trophy is a bit odd anyway. "Congrats, you spent your time arguing about whether or not vampire dragons are better than dragons instead of actually writing storygames".
Lastly, storygames can be featured or win contests. That should be good enough for motivation.

Storygame trophy

6 years ago
can confirm, the effort it takes to make a trophy is unbelievable. It's definitely not as easy as just copy-pasting some code and changing a few ID's. 3J has to hand smith each trophy from stock material - each one is meticulously crafted in such a way that no two trophies are truly alike. No one should underestimate the tiring constraints that bind 3J in such a way that it is nearly impossible to make another trophy on the site for the next few years.

Storygame trophy

6 years ago
I know it's a difficult concept for some (Ford) to grasp, but it's true that it actually is pretty easy to quickly crank out multiple stories with 4/8 ratings or better. I learned this first hand.

Still I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, it'd be good to have an easyish-to-moderate goal to aim for considering the number of people (like Ford) who never even get past that hurdle of publishing a single game.

In fact the chronic laziness of most members (again, see: Ford) and the fact that most of the more offensively idiotic never getting around to looking around articles and info pages or getting involved in the community to the extent they'd even care about trophies would I think prevent us being overwhelmed by story rushes. Added to that, standards are higher now and a story with a 4.0 would still have to be reasonably decent.

I mean right now we've got a story from three weeks ago still stagnating on the main page. It hasn't gotten a new comment since Jan 26th. Anyone who makes a habit of reading new stories tends to comment within the first four or five days, and probably check daily to skim a point off the garbage before it's taken out. Slightly faster turnover isn't really going to hurt.

Storygame trophy

6 years ago

I could see one for publishing x amount of storygames, but I don't like the idea of being in the top y for overall amount of storygames.
Anyway, yea, very rarely will anyone read a storygame past the initial publishing.

Storygame trophy

6 years ago

How about if it has to be 5/8 rating and 5/8 long? That will be a bit harder, and so make the trophy rarer.