Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Would be great. Hopefully comments help.

Making the editor for storygames more accessible f

5 years ago

Hi there.  

So, I was thinking of a way to do this. If there was a way to make a text version of the editor, without the rich text toolbar and stuff, just straight text, it'd help. I think us blind people most definitely have something to offer, if only the editor for storygames. I was thinking, while we couldn't do graphics to complement our storygames, a way to do it might just be edit boxes with the labels, "Title of storygame, (when first starting, but this goes away as you write the storygame), title of segment, link, (which would be used to label the links in the storygame and more would be added as you come up with links), items, (so that people can add items and descriptions of items and make them appear within the storygame),and next or previous page links so that people could add links to their previous pages or next pages should they have something in mind. For each empty link, there'd be edit boxes, (again, excluding rich text toolbar, since most blind people stick with the original script), with the same information that I told you all above. This would make it a hell of a lot easier for a blind person to create a storygame.  Trust me, I have so many ideas about what I'd love to create, if I could. I would very much like for these changes to be implemented, heck, I don't care if it's called the Accessible Editor or something,  just as long as it helps us blind creators to have a chance at making worthwhile storygames. 

Thank you very much, administrators, for keeping this site alive. This would be a very good path for Choose Your Story to make, and would increase the number of actual creators to this site. 

5 years ago
Doubt there's any chance of the editor getting any kind of overhaul anytime soon, we don't have anyone around able to work on it at present.

Have you tried using the classic editor? It might be simpler to use, idk.

@Mayana might have some tips for you otherwise, she's been pretty active doing proofreading and edits on other people's games so there's at least some way to navigate the advanced editor with a screen reader.

5 years ago
Going to:

http://chooseyourstory.com/My/Profile.aspx

And unchecking the "Use Rich Text Editor" box should revert it to just a text box. Unless I'm mistaken it affects both the forum textboxes and editors'.

Unfortunately, as Mizal said, there's no one that can actually change the site's code around at the moment.

5 years ago
As others have pointed out, go to your profile and disable the rich text editor. That way, you'll just get a simple edit box and will be able to use html. As for other suggestions, I'm not quite sure what you want. You are able to set the title of your story when making it, the same goes for page and link titles. I actually haven't tested everything myself, because I've been proofreading already written pages, but making pages and links seemed to work fine for me last time I checked. Most people prefer stories without items anyway, so you not being able to find pictures for them shouldn't be a big issue. I'll check if making items doesn't work, but it should.
I didn't have any issues with the editor so far, except for pages not saving in Firefox, which has nothing to do with accessibility, I probably just messed something up when messing with about:config. I need to stop being lazy, reset the settings and change them one by one to see what causes it. :)
Edit: I've checked and everything works just fine. I can make pages, links, items, variables, etc. with no problems.