Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: There are lots of better ways to visualize stories, such as monodirectional graph, but it's not in the cards for now.

Storygame Maker Layout (Graphic Display)

4 years ago

So, one big delay in the making of my story, is trying to keep all the paths straight. If, instead of having a list of all the pages, as it is now, could you make a more complex, yet simplified display? My proposal is to make a bracket type graphic display, so every new page you make, it expands the bracket. This would allow you to view the path, and make it easier to see if there is an incomplete path, and also with continuity, as well as the obvious organization. You could keep the list, and have the bracket, and the user can choose to toggle between them, or have both co-exist, and at the bottom of the list, it shows the bracket image, and you can click on the bracket bubble, or find the page title in the list.

I just find it hard to keep all the pathing straight at times, and having this would make it a lot easier.

This would look more like an inverted bracket, or a family tree, adding new branches the more pages you make. I realize this would probably be a pain to program, especially since this image would be interactive, but would be greatly appreciated.

4 years ago
My suggestion, since the site really isn't getting updated, is to do that with a pen and paper. Then you can draw and erase lines quite easily.

4 years ago

I do it on paper already, but it gets a bit tedious, and a little hard, because a lot of my pages have the same title unfortunately.

4 years ago
Have you tried...numbering the pages with the same names when mapping?

4 years ago
That seems hard.

4 years ago

It does take a fair bit of practice. 

4 years ago
A complete overhaul of the editor is just not ever going to happen. I always wished for more organization options (the ability to drag pages around for instance) but ultimately it's not like the current one has ever stopped anyone from creating a large or complex story. There are loads of options for writing offline, and just making sensible use of page titles and chapters goes a long way.