Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

A contest?

10 years ago

As my work on aGoLaD is finally coming to a close... (seriously, 25 more pages, max. Thank. God.)

I have considered something. Can I just randomly throw out a contest? A trivia contest on my story, where the win(ners) can receive a prize / honor if they answer correctly? And if I do... would anyone participate?

A contest?

10 years ago

I guess you could hold your own unofficial contest I doubt anyone would stop you. I'm always up for a prize opportunity so I would read your story and try to win the contest.

A contest?

10 years ago

Good to know. I'll see about starting it as soon as I re-publish my story, but I'm hoping for a bit more feedback on the idea before I try it.

A contest?

10 years ago

With so many other stories out there I think it's a smart move to give people an incentive to read yours. I used to be a member of a writing site that gave people rewards and coins and such to read and write comments, with a monthly award for the most detailed, helpful reviewer. People would set up their own competitions with prizes all the time too. I always kind of wished this one had something similar...

I remember when I first came here I'd actually been tossing around an idea similar to yours...I was going to have little pieces of a poem about the history of my fantasy setting scattered out throughout the branches, and challenge the readers to be the first person to find and assemble them all. Never did figure out what the reward would be though, and wound up pulling what I had down to try and turn it into a kindle book anyway...do you have a prize for yours in mind yet? 

A contest?

10 years ago

Well, honestly, I have an ulterior motive to suggesting this... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also hoping it would generate some more interest in my story. I agree that this place would probably benefit from a system like that, but the most we get is points for top comment... and while I have tried to reward a diligent reader or two with that honor...

For some reason, the guy who does that hasn't ever gotten around to it. I'm not sure why. So, yeah, much as I like this site, the system we do have does not seem productive. Pieces of a poem, eh? Will you re-consider doing it? Reward or not, I would play a story just for that. xD It sounds like a great idea.

Yeah, actually, I have three prizes in mind. I'm not high enough in points to pass out a trophy yet, so I can't do that or else I'd have four ideas... but, I will say that one of the three I was toying with was offering a winner their own cameo in my next story. (Likely with their choice of role... like "Ax-crazy murderer" or "police detective" or "victim of a hapless corpse," something fun like that. :3)

A contest?

10 years ago

No can do with that particular story, the part I had up on the site has been 90% rewritten now anyway, and I've restructured most of the ideas I had to make them fit into a linear novel.

Here's the poem for what it's worth, since I won't actually be using it for anything now:

A Ma'luun maid went out one night,
to see the red moon rise.
The light became a sword and crown,
the blood shone crimson in her eyes.

Oh how the maiden laughed and laughed,
claiming the silver throne.
The king lay bloody at her feet,
all who witnessed did faint and groan.

"We elves shall cause all Geth to cry,"
"No peace, no peace!" saith she.
She sounded forth the Horn of Kha,
an axe befell the Healing Tree.

The deepwood hounds ran up and down
they struck the people sore,
The wise dwarves gathered in their halls,
preparing to make war.

Fifteen great lords with iron steeds,
rode out at dawn to fight.
The dusk saw only two return,
the crushed remains of dwarven might.

The orcish chiefs did fret and curse,
and all their shamans call.
Seventy stones were given life,
and flung into the brawl.

The red-eyed maid did not despair,
but called the Sisters Three.
A madness followed in their wake,
making the very rivers flee.

Seven merchant lords of men,
their faces grim and grey,
They saw the desolation wrought,
and swiftly sailed away.

A contest?

10 years ago

As a fan of poetry, Tolkien, and World of Warcraft... this is a pretty interesting piece of work. It's a pity... but thank you for sharing.

A contest?

10 years ago

Thanks. :) Tolkien was definitely a big influence in my writing that, and in pretty much all of my fantasy stuff. I wasn't sure how much sense some parts of that poem would make without context, though. There's a lot of lore and background stuff I always build up for my worlds before I even start writing that really isn't intended to make sense for anyone else but me...something else I blame Tolkien for. :D

(For instance, the 'Sisters Three' are implied in one part of the story to be...extraplanar entities of some sort. And there's also three massive, weirdly shaped rock formations in a heat-blasted wasteland on the edge of the elven border called the 'Three Sisters'. They're right next to a canyon that used to be a river. But these things probably aren't related.)  

A contest?

10 years ago

Sounds like fun - go for it  :)

A contest?

10 years ago

Ooh, you're nearly finished with the update? Cant wait. ^_^

A contest?

10 years ago

Woop woop :)

A contest?

10 years ago

>///> Ok, I might've been slightly or extremely off. I think I actually have closer to sixty pages... xD after the... many I have already finished. Miscalculated. I didn't think I'd want to flesh it out this much.