Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago

Has anyone else here read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book? I just read through it again. Every time I read through it I find something new to think about. I just absolutely love it. Its a brilliant piece of writing for fans of all genres and people of any age. Though to be fair, I love all of Gaiman's works really--his fantasy in particular.

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago
Ooh, I've read it! It was really really good. Everything in it is just so interesting and well-done. It's amazing.

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago

Yup! I wish we got to learn more about The Sleer though. Heck, he could probably write an entire book about what was in that tomb

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago
Yeah, that bit's really interesting.

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago

Was pretty interesting. Did you notice that Jacks name was Jack Frost? If he was the Jack Frost, why didn't he have ice powers? That would make it much better. Although why bother? Its good enough the way it is!

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago
Never heard of it, but I'll start reading it after I'm done with the other four-five books I'm in the middle of reading xD

Edit:: Didn't realize the thread was so old o-o

The Graveyard Book

10 years ago

I remember when this won the Newbery, and I thought, "Finally, something worth reading wins." 

The next day at work, people were complaining about how it was "too scary for kids" and "didn't have any educational value."  Best comment ever: "What if kids want to read other book by that author?"  Because god forbid a 12 year old read something that wasn't written with the delicate sensibilities of children in mind.

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

NOOOOOOOooooo! We mustn't let them read about knife killings and twisted monsters! Knife murder is far too bloody, and monsters are far too scary! We must glorify gun violence instead!

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

I really don't think you can say that Gun-violence is glorified nowadays-  preschool children get suspended just for making finger pistols and pointing it. It's ridiculous :P

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

They do? Hmm....

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/24887721/child-suspended-for-doing-this-at-school

And that's just one case :P

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

Meanwhile there are a bunch of gun-fetishist hillbillies, everyone above ten has at least played a flash game about shooting zombies, an actual gun-related branch of Christianity, and Deadpool is experiencing a massive rise in popularity among 12 year olds.

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

Last week I had a 12 year old girl who wanted a mystery that had "kidnapping and murder" but "nothing scary."

She immediately rejected any book that did not specifically mention kidnapping and murder on the jacket.

Any that did have both, she said "That looks too scary."

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

... That says something right there XD

@Sentinel, and there are games where you run a taxi service. And games where you run a taxi service which you run over people. There are knife-fetishist people as well, games where you stab people too. Gun violence is not nearly as frequent as knife violence (I believe), and people are getting crazy over finger pistols. It's over the top.

No idea where Deadpool comes into play, but it's kinda sad that 12 year olds idolize him/anti heroes and not some moral, upstanding superheroes. (IMO). I dunno.

But it all boils down to parenting, not video games or hillbillies :P

The Graveyard Book

9 years ago

I thought we were supposed to be talking about the graveyard book?