Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

http://lenwilson.us/seven-stories/

Found this article interesting, but it also made me question. Are there really only 7 types of stories, or are there more? 

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Perhaps, it's late and i'm not going to devote too much thought to this, but it's very possible to fit stories into categories when the definitions are broad enough.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Naw, there are several books I could list that don't follow the criteria.

The Foundation, by Isaac Asimov, doesn't even have a hero. It's mostly just a chronological set of events occurring, leading up to humanities downfall, and (I think) rise, eventually. All of which is predicted by some scientist dude. And that doesn't really match any of the criteria...

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Combination of Rebirth, Tragedy and Rags to riches. (And according to them, combinations are possible - but they all fall within these base categories.)

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Not really, perhaps Riches to Rags to Riches, in the form of Universal History. Not really rebirth, since no one is admitting forfeit (I think), and not tragedy since it works out in the end.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Tragedy due to humanity's fall, rags to riches due to humanity rebuilding itself, rebirth because... well, it looks like it fits.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Nifty.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Nope. There is only one kind of story... The kind with words... Go on, prove me wrong. cheeky

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Picture stories! Ha!  :D

7 types of stories

10 years ago

... Damn you BZ >.<

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Calm your tits Briar!

7 types of stories

10 years ago

O.O

*tries to ignore the mental image that conjures up...

7 types of stories

10 years ago

And now I'm wondering what angry tits look like...

#          #         #                        #           #           #

#                                   #           #                                   #

#                angry                  #     #                 angry                   #

#                                   #          #                                   #

#         #          #                      #            #           #             

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Well... Hrmm... good job?

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Was in a rush, otherwise I'd have made them rounder cheeky

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Much better ^_^

photo angryboobs_zpsd4f8d3d2.jpg

7 types of stories

10 years ago

OH MY.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Lions and tigers and bears! ^_^

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Also Music Videos...  ^v^

7 types of stories

10 years ago

ALL stories fall into this catergory:

Something happens in them.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

... Clearly you've never seen "Once" cheeky

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Never quite understood the point of this sort of thing. I mean, I could say Paladin is a combination of Overcoming the Monster and Rags to Riches, kinda sorta, but what does that get me? It doesn't tell me anything about what my story needs.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

So if you have villain protagonist, is it still overcoming the monster if he kills all the rival good guys?

It can't really fall under tragedy if Dr. Doom, Sauron or whatever evil overlord wins in the end since you're reading it from that point of view. (The Quest maybe?)

I'd say the older categories still fit most stories a lot better than the new categories since they're broader in scope. Just switch out man for woman when necessary.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

I think your correct that the list doesn't work if the protagonist is a villain. None of the 'types' fit into an evil villain/overlord winning and take over the world.(or what have you)

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Category 8.

Furry meets Furry. Furry does Furry things with Furry. Everyone feels really guilty about it afterwards and goes home.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Which seems to be the main theme of half the new story games on CYS recently... Especially the one with the folds. *Shudder*

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Link? I need to know which IP to burn down when the trophy apocalypse comes and everyone has an excuse to go crazy.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

A bit of the day's lunch has dragged itself up from the depths of my digestive regions, please do excuse me while I regurgitate the rest of it on the author...

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Awhh, you mean cheeky

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Seems like there's been an increase in slave stories recently, I wonder if there's some sort of school project for Black History month going on or something.

7 types of stories

10 years ago

Oddly enough, none of them actually seem to have any slavery in them. They're all about hiding until the slavers go away cheeky