Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Question About Occupations

9 years ago

What have type of occupation would you want to have that could change the course of the world, in a storygame?

The typical or more commonly thought of to me would be the great mage, the great warrior, and the assassin. Besides those three, what other types of occupations could change the course of history in a medieval fantasy type world?

I'm asking because I'm planning a storygame where you have your more typical paths, those three above for example, and then some more paths that perhaps do not seem exactly as glamorous, but can still have a great effect on the world. These will be  the main paths through the story which break off into minor ones. I plan on having different choices along the paths affecting the world itself in reasonable ways. **Unintended consequences for everyone**

(You are a warrior. You saved a young girl from being mauled by wolves. You end up teaching her how to defend herself and letting her tag along with you on your adventures for awhile. The girl grows up to be a leader of a rebel faction. The rebel faction ends up taking over a major city because the girl was trained by you and because she is naturally charismatic. )

(You are an assassin. You killed the father of four children. You killed the three children and the mother you found also at the house. The fourth child, the eldest, vows to get revenge one day and becomes a guardsman. He works his way up through the ranks and eventually catches the ear of someone important, who also was affected by one of your killings. They establish a special order of warrior who are assassin hunters. This order wipes out many of your colleagues and even your apprentice before you take them seriously enough to react.)

9 years ago

If you're looking for specific occupations that could be played in a fantasy world, a handful I can think of are: a king/queen, a prince/princess, a thief, a priest/paladin, a spy, a knight, a slave, a pirate, an ambassador, an advisor, a doctor/healer, a rebel/outlaw, a shape-shifter, a fortune teller (that can actually see the future), a philosopher, a rogue/ranger, a vampire, a vampire hunter, an inventor, a dragon trainer, a bard, a blacksmith... That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

9 years ago

wherewolf?

9 years ago

A werewolf isn't an occupation xD A werewolf hunter though would be a good one.

9 years ago

vampire is not either...and true...

9 years ago

self correct "werewolf" not "wherewolf"

9 years ago

A Priest, driven by his desire to convert the world.

A political agitator, driven to see his political rivals torn down.

A nurse, driven to create and release a pandemic on the world, so they will need her more.

9 years ago

...0_o...

9 years ago

A Inventor, driven to see the world follow his every whim through his creations.

A Survivor, driven to see vengeance on the world for not saving his people.

9 years ago

a ghost driven to avenge his loved one.

9 years ago

That's a bit small-scaled. The Ghost is very unlikely to have a reason to reshape the world over his dead loved one.

9 years ago

how strong is his/her love?

9 years ago

It wouldn't matter. What would a vengeful ghost gain or avenge for reshaping the entire world? Besides, it's not like he would be the only heart-broken ghost in a world with ghosts.

9 years ago

thats true but what if there was a necromancer? (a powerful one)

9 years ago

I'm not going to touch necromancer as I think Endmaster covered that pretty damn well already and I don't think I could do the idea much justice in the first place.

I don't think I would have a ghost as it wouldn't fit the story right, unless I scrapped what I already started. I suppose maybe a smaller path after character death could be created, but it wouldn't be like the major paths of the story which have multiple endings and major effects on the world.

9 years ago

ok just an idea...maybe a side character?

9 years ago

o wait not what were talking about

9 years ago

It is interesting, just not something that can work sadly.

9 years ago

yeah dont want something that does not fit.  (thats what she said(sorry had to))

9 years ago

Then wouldn't the necromancer be the main character? A Ghost wanting to avenge his loved one isn't really a good story if you make it to large-scale.

9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll probably end up adding at least five more paths to the seven paths that already planned for the story.

The seven being

* Mage

* Warrior

* Thief

* Assassin 

* Diplomat

* Artist

* Hunter

9 years ago

No Inventer?

9 years ago

Those were the seven intial. The five or more I add will be stuff from this thread. Inventor seems like a good one as I can easily see how it can change the world. Plus it fits into my whole thing with every path having various morality.

You can create something that everyone's lives easier.

You can create the latest weapon.

You can create your own army.

9 years ago

Robotopia. ^.^