Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

I have a little contest for anyone who wants to participate. It's not about points or trophies because I don't have a trophy to give out--yet--and I can't give out points. (Wait, don't leave, just hear me out!) It's a contest for naming rights. As you already know, in CYOAs, it's common for the protagonist to remain nameless. However, since I'm going to publish a sequel to A Game of Life and Death, (preferably after I finish Magick Academy or KFSP,) I'd like to have a name for Layne to use in his narrative.

I realize I could just dance around it with "her" "him" "they" but honestly, I get tired of the pronoun game pretty quickly. It was annoying enough to just call the witch "the witch" for 6 pathways. Plus, I thought you guys might enjoy this. Since there are two versions of the protagonist, one male and one female, I need two names.

So ... to the first person who replies to this with all five "achievement" titles for the ending path "My hero/ine":   
I'll let you assign a name to the male version of the protagonist.
(You may also request a cameo in one of my current projects.)

Do note: the achievement title is listed on the profile badge you get at the end. I've given you a head start with my walkthrough by providing you a path to the first title. (If you want to respond to this with the actual badges rather than the titles, that's cool, too. But they all have to be from the Melissa ending for the task above and the Layne ending for the one below.)

To the first person who replies to this with all five "achievement" titles for the ending path "Traveling Partner":    
I'll let you assign a name to the female version of the protagonist.  
(You may also request a cameo in one of my current projects.)

Bonus option: if you can tell me the name of the third "mystery" love interest in the game and post either of the profile badges from his ending (because it is, indeed, a dude--sorry fellas,) then you may have your pick of the two or you may claim both. Of course, this only applies if your choice(s) is (are) available, you know.

Rules and Conditions:

1: I am only looking for a first name. You can submit a full name (props if it's alliterative) but I'm making no promises on needing more than a first name. I would also be delighted with you providing a nick-name to go along with the actual one.
2: When I say 'give this person a name,' I mean a good name. Not a title, not a stupid pun, not a dumb joke. I want a name that would not get your story incarnation's ass kicked in school. Give it a name that you, yourself, could live with. It has to be believable. Beyond those few guidelines, go nuts. (Actually, it can be a pun, just not a stupid one.)
3: It's fine if you use your own name, self-insertion is kind of the point of a CYOA to begin with, but you don't have to tell me that it's yours, especially if you're one of our younger members. I don't need to know your real name, nor does anyone else on the internet that you don't really know.   
4: First come, first serve. You might both be right, but if you're second, then I gotta give it to the first guy. Also, remember that I said correct. (Pro tip: I'm a stickler for proper spelling.)
5: In the event that your name IS wildly inappropriate / your cameo demand is unreasonable and you are unwilling to make changes to accommodate the stories, the privilege goes to whoever answered directly after you.

So, interested?

Naming Contest

9 years ago

I'll add a 10 point reward to both winners :)

Naming Contest

9 years ago

o.o Really? Awesome! xD You rock, 3J.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

It might just be because I'm off today, but I'm not picking up on what exactly you are looking for; are these "'achievement' titles" from one of your previous CYOA's? Are we racing to see who can 100% part of a CYOA first?

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Ah. Okay, the game I'm referring to is "A Game of Life and Death" which was my first story game.

The -titles- I'm referring to are written on profile badges made specifically for the alternate endings (accessed only via the basement.) Now, The badge and title change based on two things: How you got there and who you hook up with. I'm asking participants to bring me all five titles for one of the two main love interests OR any _one_ title from the "mystery" third option.

The reason for this is, because I posted a walkthrough that teaches you how to get the first title (for either) it's not that hard, but you do have to figure out a few extra puzzles. The third love interest is hard, though, because you can't just make it through that path, but you have to do it a certain way, or else that character will not respond to you receptively.

@everyone
@Kwism1127

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Sounds like fun. heart

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Hopefully, heh. xD

Naming Contest

9 years ago
  1. Valorous Partner
  2. Street-wise Globetrotter
  3. One With The World
  4. His Shadow
  5. Eternal Dance Partner

I'd like to name the female protagonist Hannah.

If I request a cameo appearance, who exactly would be making a cameo appearance?

I love GOLAD and this competition did a great job of encouraging me to go back and get all the endings. Thanks, Kiel.

EDIT: Nickname could be Hanz.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Damn, that was fast and bravo! All correct! :3 Hannah it is, and I must admit, I really like that name.  

As for the cameo, that's up to you--to a point. It has to make some sense in the context, but you can either create a character you'd like to see in one of my upcoming games, or if you really want, it can be self-insertion. It's something we could discuss over PMs, especially if you'd prefer the latter. (Again, trying to be respectful of peoples' personal info. I have no intention of disclosing anyone's choice.)

blush I'm flattered to hear that you enjoyed it so much and you're welcome. Hanz, huh? Sounds okay. Well, when 3J is available, he should be able to award you those points.

@JJJ-thebanisher
@31TeV

Naming Contest

9 years ago

OK, I'll think about the cameo and PM you at some point.

I have to admit the nickname was a bit of an afterthought and it's a bit lame. Couldn't think of a better one and I wouldn't be offended if you decided against it.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

10 points to you! Great work.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Yay! Thanks.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Well, if you do think of a better nickname, feel free. If not, don't worry. (I happen to think "L" and "M&M" are kind of lame. Nicknames often are. The idea was just to promote a sense of closeness and some friendly teasing between the characters.)

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Well, one more protagonist to name and ten points left to win. Good luck, everyone. yes

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Augh, why do you do this to me?!

I've found four, but I just can't beat the last path. *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

That being said, my jaw has officially hit the floor at how much content I missed when I was playing through this game the first few times. It's utterly amazing how some choices completely change the course of later events so that the game is new and challenging on every playthrough.

I'll go back to bashing my head against my desk in hopes of figuring out this last path now.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

I found the best path/ending. Can't find any of the achievement paths though (or at least I don't know how to tell if it's an achievement path).

Naming Contest

9 years ago

If you got a cool picture at the end, it's an achievement.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Oh man. I think I got to about six of them without noting the titles.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

At least that means you have a vague idea how to get to the end.

I've been stuck dying in the same battle again...and again...and again.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Which one? I need to be off in 4 minutes.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Gr8, the 10 year old found 6 and I can't find one.

Seriously Kiel, how did you create such a hard game?

Naming Contest

9 years ago

It's an impossibly hard game. I only won the competition because of this walkthrough, which takes you through one of the endings:

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-parlor-room/message/11954

Naming Contest

9 years ago

...there was a walkthrough?!

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Yeah, just for one of the endings. Props to you for managing all the endings without it.

Just out of interest, which is the one ending you were struggling with?

Naming Contest

9 years ago

The Dark Hero/ine, with the dual daggers. I kept running out of endurance.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Ahh...? Heh, yeah, I made it a bit easier to die in the battle on that one as I recall. Had you answered the quiz better, the "angel" would've made your fight easier. :P 

Naming Contest

9 years ago

"I've given you a head start with my walkthrough by providing you a path to the first title." xD You should've read my original post more carefully. 

Naming Contest

9 years ago

"Seriously Kiel, how did you create such a hard game?"

... Deep down I'm kind of a sadist.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

"That being said, my jaw has officially hit the floor at how much content I missed when I was playing through this game the first few times. It's utterly amazing how some choices completely change the course of later events so that the game is new and challenging on every playthrough."

Pshaw... you're gonna make me blush. Seriously, though, that was my main goal for the game. I had three, really: I didn't want it to be too easy, I didn't want it to be too short, and I wanted it to be very replayable. Making so many different pathways, options, endings, easter eggs, and so on is why my first game took me over a year to complete. ^^; 

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Finally got all of them!

Valiant Hero ine.jpg

Graceful Hero ine.jpg

Sly Hero ine.png

Dark Heroine.jpg

Zen Hero ine.jpg

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Bravo! You got them all! *glances over the titles* Not my most creative moments, I admit.
Well, anyway, you've earned the right to name the male version of GOLAD's protagonist. Feel free to include a nickname. Also, please PM me with your cameo request if you have one. And, lastly...
You've also earned 10 points from our very generous site staff, so the points should be awarded when 3J has time. (Thanks again, man.)

@the_quiller
@JJJ-thebanisher

Naming Contest

9 years ago

10 points to you!

Naming Contest

9 years ago

*poke*

@the_quiller

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Yay! Instead of giving you a single name, can I give you a couple and you can choose your favorite out of them?

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Uh ... ... *shrug* I don't see why not, I guess. Sure, quill. Go for it.

Naming Contest

9 years ago

-Gabriel, nickname 'Gale'

-Elliot, nicknamee 'Eli'

-Chase, nickname 'C+whatever last name initial is'

Do you think you could fit the main character of my story 'Becoming Legend' into a cameo somewhere? If not, I'll come up with something else. :)

Naming Contest

9 years ago

Sorry about the delay. Yes, Gabriel is a name I'm fond of and I like the nick-name "Gale" more than the others, so ... Gabriel it is.

Based on what I know of your game, I'm pretty positive I could find a place for your main character, but I would like to know a lot more about that character first. Please PM me a full bio so we can discuss it?

@the_quiller