Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Scotland

9 years ago

Looks like they're staying in the Empire.

Scotland

9 years ago

I'm suspicious of the entire thing. As I age and realize more things, I become more disenchanted. I see, now, why my grandfather, and all grandfathers, say "The world is going to hell."

Scotland

9 years ago

Still wondering...

...would it make any difference, other than not listening to England's House of Commons BS anymore?

Scotland

9 years ago

It would make a difference to the US and the British government. The Scots were going to pull all British subs out of that location, and a "divided" UK would make the current man in power look weak. Watch the news for a plane or car accident involving Alex Salmond in the next year.

Scotland

9 years ago

The world is going to hell.

Scotland

9 years ago

Yep, if the yes votes wins, everyone in Europe  is going to drop dead when they see the world economy and the stock markets the day after (and all the yes voters will go 'ah... whoops?'). Personally I don't like the idea of a monarchy, but I hate the idea of a global crisis even more.

Scotland

9 years ago

You do realize that the Royals of England don't actually hold much political power at all, right? They're like mascots.

Scotland

9 years ago

I get that, but it is still going to make a massive commotion in the economy for a few days after (and I was exaggerating a bit on my last post).

Scotland

9 years ago
It's embarrassing that you guys seem to be more knowledgable than me about the current affairs of the country I love in.

Scotland

9 years ago

How many people have you loved with in the UK?

Scotland

9 years ago
Lol, now I look even more stupid.

Approximately 2.3 people.

Scotland

9 years ago

How do you have sex with 3/10 of a person!?

Scotland

9 years ago
Oh, this is sex now? I thought you meant more like how many people have you loved.

Scotland

9 years ago

3/10 of a person probably isn't able to live very effectively, so platonic love is probably out of the question.

Scotland

9 years ago

Maybe it was just her head.

Scotland

9 years ago
This is such an EndMaster response. I love it.

Scotland

9 years ago

lol

Scotland

9 years ago

I moved to Canada but kept up with the English news via BBC.

As for the vote, the yes side was based a lot on rhetoric which sadly just didn't match the real world. They knew they didn't have the full support so they lowered the voting age since teens generally said they were pro separatist and they allowed Scottish national anywhere in the world to vote... Except if they were residing in England. Several other little things like that.

basicaly there has been a separatist sentiment for a long time and Alex Sammond got into power using that and building it up, saying how much better they would be without it, how much more money their govt. would have due to the oil fields, things like having free university and healthcare and no prescription charge for the elderly etc.

sadly he and many supporters ignored the fact they have almost all of that already supported by the entire UK taxes. The also ignored that if they gained separation:

They don't have a currency anymore since they couldn't use the pound, and they would be immediately removed from the EU and would have to take the several year process to re-apply so couldn't use the euro either. Their national debt which is handled separately to the other countries would begin to default. The couldn't guarantee any national loans due to lack of a stable economy and currency. Their economy would take a massive initial hit since it would be severed from the UK and they would instantly loose access to all EU trade agreements meaning they would pay more and be charged more to trade anywhere in Europe including the UK. Their tax base is not high enough to actually afford everything they are talking about so they would either desperately overspend to get their failing economy on track then go bankrupt or be forced to cancel every big excess public expense like the free healthcare and university which is currently highly subsidized by the UK.

It was a dumb time to push it and a dumb vote.

Scotland

9 years ago

Scotland is the sole reason the UK is a good place. Dat accent doe! (Yes, I like a Scottish accent)

Scotland

9 years ago

Just like Poland voted to stay in the USSR