Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Suzy's Strange Saga released!

8 years ago
Took me long enough, but I’m finally finished with it. Definitely was a story I felt compelled to do. I always wanted to do a proper story with a female protagonist, but it just always got put on the backburner for various other projects.

The funny thing is Suzy from the short “Good Girl” story had been an idea I’d had for a long time. Like before I ever wrote anything else, so a large story surrounding her had been a long time coming.

Using her as the protagonist was the obvious choice for this story rather than creating a whole new character. Plus I’ve been writing a lot of fantasy oriented stuff for the last few stories and I didn’t want to do another fantasy setting.

I always toyed with the idea of making sequels to some of my older stories at one point or another too, but I just never felt any idea was good enough to top the originals.

So when embarking on this story, I decided I should just go all out and kill several birds with a big rock. Suzy’s original short story not only gets a direct sequel with this entry, but it possibly serves a “semi-sequel” to several other stories. (And a semi prequel to a couple in some cases)

This allows for lots of vastly different adventures/situations for the character to get into and at the same time gets back to the more “random” story that I used to do a bit more of in the past. (Not too random though)

The only thing I sort of “failed” horribly in doing is making the story shorter. Not that the intention was to make it shorter in overall length, but more in text per page. However, the need to verbose just overrode the original idea of making a “quick read” story.

But enough of all that, here’s the more “exciting” cinematic ad:

Endure the daily dangers as the world descends into madness!
Descend into madness yourself because hey everyone’s doing it!
Experience the mysteries of the Gray Building!
Experience the trashiness of the trailer park!
Experience the fanaticism of the cult compound!
Experience the clowniness of the carnival!
Experience a whole bunch of other shit you probably don’t want to!
Interact with more fucked up people than yourself!
Have sex with said fucked up people!
Several ways to die!
Several HORRIBLE ways to die!
See how various past stories interconnect!
Cameos and references galore!
Sixteen different epilogues, some of which might just hit you right in the FEELS!

And probably a whole bunch more stuff.

Anyway off to enjoy semi-retirement. (Again)

8 years ago

Booyah! Now to play the shit out of this game, lol. :D

8 years ago

Yeah, should be up now, I was having some last minute glitches with the front page displaying weird.

8 years ago

This is so getting featured XD

Another great work, man... Doing the cult path. Now what's the next one you're writing?

8 years ago

Lol, Im going clown path. Best part is that I hated geek. XD

8 years ago

Which story in Modern do we vote on this replacing?

8 years ago

No need. Modern doesnt have enough featured games anyways.

8 years ago
Yes it does. It already has 6.

I'd say knock out tales from the basement, give it's somewhat of a prequel to this game anyway.

Or Vengeance. Vengeance is the weakest story featured there imo.

8 years ago

Huh. I guess I forgot we added myvacation to it. 

Yeah, Tales of.. needs to go, unfortunately. 

8 years ago

I'm counting five... Cryptode-MyVacation-TFTB-Walmart-Vengeance

8 years ago

I think Madglee took down his Mommy story for some reason.

8 years ago

Wack.

8 years ago

Fun twisted stuff! And I really enjoyed the Geek tie-in!  ^v^

8 years ago

Lol. Tan probably got the most fucked epilogue on his first play through while Aman probably got the most "noble" one.

8 years ago

No wonder, lol. I was so confused about how Suzy was quickly decending into evil. My Suzy was a good girl, lol.

8 years ago

It was an accident, I swear!

8 years ago

Insert this song.

8 years ago

Wow, I-I don't even. Without going into spoiler territory so that I won't ruin it for other people around. One of the endings in the gray building really blew my mind.

i'm sure people will know which one I mean when they read it. Just wow. 

8 years ago

If it's the one I imagine you're talking about, I always had that one planned out in round about way. It's still a little different than first envisioned though.

The original idea for it had too much needless complexity, but that concept actually ended up getting worked into another plot line (Which didn't require a bunch of explanation), since I don't like to completely throw away ideas that I thought were good.

8 years ago
No tags?

Slacker.

:P

8 years ago

Figured you guys can suggest them and gain free points.

8 years ago
Nice save. :)

8 years ago

Since this was asked in the writing update thread, I'll just post it here instead since that thread's pretty much done now.

Suzy's Strange Saga: 307,156 words 229 pages

A little less than half as large as Eternal in terms of pages and word count.

8 years ago
Impressive. I'm looking forward to reading when I can sit down and enjoy it!

8 years ago

I think Epilogue 16 is my favorite so far.. :)

8 years ago

I'm betting that's the one Stein said he got in this thread.

This person seemed to like it as well:

Oh my fuck! epilogue 16 blew my mind, i can't believe it, suzy is...she is...i can't even...fuck!!! that was awesome, but epilogue 7 is still my favorite.
Suzy's Strange Saga
punk_wolf (Score of 0)
4/26/2015 3:27:07 PM

8 years ago

Yeah that was the one that blew my mind, didn't occurs to me to just say what number it was. Actually thought it would take place in that world as soon as there was all the snow and what not. But that it would be such an insane detail was just awesome.

8 years ago

I think I've gotten most of the epilogues now, only missing a few.

16 is still my favorite, which is hardly surprising with what it ties into.

8 years ago

... How do you get sixteen? (far too lazy)

8 years ago

The "Matriarch of Madness" ending filled me with inexplicable joy.

8 years ago

How I already mentioned epilogue 16 was INCREDIBLE, but epilogue 7 is still my favorite. Aside from these two I also got epilogues 5, 6, 11, one for the trailer park and one for the carnival.

8 years ago
I wonder why this hasn't been featured yet.

8 years ago

Just to note, apparently Mommy was taken down because Madglee wanted to copy it to his computer (or something to that degree.) Should be back up when he's done.

With that said, what should be taken down? Cryptode or Vengeance (or maybe even TFTB)?

8 years ago
Was already discussed. I think TFTB was deemed the one to go because redundancy.

8 years ago

Wow. You are a god damn genius. Every time I read one of your stories by the end of it I never want to stop. Luckily for us all you write CYOA stories so we can always go back and do it again with different results. That is exactly how I felt about Suzy's Strange Saga. I just couldn't stop after the first few pages. I eventually did, but only after finding all the endings. I must say ending 16 was by far my favorite. It threw me through such a loop I had to re-read from the door choice. The ending when Suzy embraced Tiamat and chaos was very... odd. Should have expected it from you, but somehow it still took me by surprise. Which is a good thing. Can't have to much fun when you're expecting everything now can we? Nevertheless it was all good and extremely well written. Once again very good job on the story and I hope this semi-retirement ends the same as the last one. With a great story coming out of it. :)

8 years ago

Want to congratulate you for making a great game. A little twisted but that is why i really like your stories. Creating multiple path and making a world of stories interconnected continues to amazed me. i still have not finished all the epilogues. thanks.

8 years ago

Thanks.

Yeah, I always had that crazy idea of how to interconnect the "modern world" stories in some way, just needed to make that one big story that actually did it.