Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

AlterEgo is no longer free.

8 years ago

Now you have to pay 5 bucks in order to play what once was a 100% free browser games. Damn this makes me sad.

Has anyone played the original one? Did the browser version have anything new added to it? I know it had a stat screen removed at the end but that's it.

I may get the original instead just for the heck of it.

The concept is great, and now with the powers that the internet gives us one could make a "sequel" to this game for a really low cost but oh well :(

8 years ago

It's in ChoiceScript, now. Not sure how I feel about that.

EDIT: I hear the cackling of le Morgan.

8 years ago

Nah, only the opening page is. 

8 years ago

Actually you can play it for free if you wait a certain amount of time in between each life phase. Below the buy button, it has a timer counting down. When that timer reaches zero, you can keep playing.

8 years ago

You are right, you just have to wait 5 minutes before advancing.

8 years ago

... Ouch.

I know of a similar one that's free -- "Memoir Text Adventure". It's on Kongregate, it's kiiiind of different but the premise is still the same.

8 years ago

Just started playing it.

It certainly seems "inspired" to say the least.

ADD: Events are exactly the same, only with different words. It's kinda good I guess.

8 years ago

That game was shit -- it auto-killed me after an unwanted pregnancy.

8 years ago

It seems to be kinda random.

8 years ago

If I recall correctly, the only time I played it, I did horribly and died during childhood.

8 years ago

Correction.

You were molested and the died during childhood.

I don't think there is any other way to die at that phase.

8 years ago

Sounds about right.

8 years ago

There was supposed to be a way to die in the infancy stage by drinking the poison under the sink, but they just made it so your health stat lowered a lot after you got your stomach pumped.

8 years ago

Oh, I remember that event. 

So, you've played the original?

8 years ago

Nah, I never got around to playing the original even though I do remember seeing it in stores back in the day. From what I know I don't think they changed too much other than the end game status like you mentioned which they should have left in.

8 years ago

Why!? That was a decent game. I used to do the life events from top to bottom, and only recently found out that the ones at the bottom I had never done before. That really sucks.

8 years ago

You just have to wait 5 minutes between life stages.

8 years ago

That seems. . . kind of odd.  It used to be free, it's quite old, and suddenly now it costs money even though they haven't done anything new?

I know the programmer used to tell everyone who asked about updates that he was only the programmer, he hadn't written the scenarios, so he couldn't create new content for the game.

8 years ago

It sure seems odd.

Perhaps he got into an agreement with the original author?

I can't find a link related to this.