Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Dredd

8 years ago

Just saw it on DVD while blasting snot into a roll of TP. It's really an excellent film  and it's quite underrated. One thing I will say is that the use of the slow-motion effects was incredible; the scene where the bullet went through the guy's cheek was a really cool thing to bear witness to. 

Also, Karl Urban is just awesome. ^_^

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

Dredd

8 years ago

It's a way better movie than the Stallone one. Karl Urban was great, and I'm glad he actually respected the source material of the character (seriously, there's no reason for Dredd to ever take off the mask). The slow-mo shots were great, Glad it was R rated, too.

Dredd

8 years ago

Yeah, the R rating lent  quite a bit of credibility. 

I've never seen the Stallone one; is it as bad as they say it is?

Dredd

8 years ago

IT WAAAAS GREEEEAAAAADDRRRIAAAAN!!!

Dredd

8 years ago

It's got Rob "The copy guy" Scheinder in it. That right there already dooms it.

Dredd

8 years ago

Great film, kind of wish I had Netflix or I owned it so I could watch it again.

Dredd

8 years ago

Never understood why Judge Dredd in general isn't more popular over here in the U.S. really. Definitely better than the Stallone version.

Dredd

8 years ago

Didn't they make Judge Dredd gay in the more recent comics?

Dredd

8 years ago

He's probably bisexual, if that's really the case, since I think at one point he's had some stirrings about Judge Anderson and Judge Hershey and Judge Judy, but the thing that makes me completely reject that shit from my headcanon is that he seems to be hooking up with some random pink-mohawked punk. Nah-ah! Judges do not mix with the common rabblerousers. Or any non-judges at all, for that matter! That's a stupid risk to take, and it really doesn't keep up the cold, no-favorites image that a Judge should have! Showing that a Judge could have feelings for someone who's not a Judge or wasn't with them before they became a Judge would take a great deal of fear out of their public image and paint a massive target on their significant other's back.

Dredd

8 years ago

Asexual, you fool! That's the whole point! Argh. I think you get it.

Dredd

8 years ago

Well, I always think it's cool when characters are asexual/married to their cause, but once I started reading Sherlock Holmes fanfics I realized that I was not the writer of everything and that people who aren't me have wildly different tastes. I think it's unrealistic to expect a character who's been passed through the hands of a whole bunch of writers to maintain the exact same mannerisms and personality traits for decades, so if they're going to make Judge Dredd gay, I'd be just fine with it, as long as he's still primarily Judge Dredd... But if this is how they expect to make him gay, I won't stand for it.

Dredd

8 years ago

Well, that's because superheroes are generally marketted towards children when they aren't in their comic book source material, and not only is Judge Dredd apt to kill the enemies he's dealing with with startling efficiency, but grappling with the morality of a dystopian future where a select few are taken from birth in order to train for one day being given complete moral and legal authority over all criminals to do whatever they deem right isn't something I think most kiddies are prepared for.

That isn't to say they couldn't pull a Robocop and make a kid's toy line for some obviously R-rated source material, but Dredd doesn't have that many main villains, and when he does, they either look unremarkable or they're grossly mutilated to some degree, (Which wouldn't have been a problem in the 80s and 90s. I mean, look at all the graphic shit that went down in TMNT and that one show about dinosaurs from hell! Too bad we live in an age populated by prudish parents who were traumatized by the 80s and 90s...)  so the only options you'd really have are Judge Dredd and not much else.

Dredd

8 years ago

It's pretty good. Just like you said, the slow-motion effects are entertaining to watch.

Dredd

8 years ago

Yeah, it was surprisingly really great. Had really low hopes for it because of the dumb name ('Dredd 3D'-- dunno what the marketers were thinking), but besides that it was pretty cool, from the acting to the effects. The Stallone film had a lot of problems that they fixed in this one. No goofy side-kick,convoluted plot, and, of course, the helmet. Got the tone down really well too. It's actually unfortunate that Stallone's film was bad because I think his expressionless mug really fit the role.

Really wish they made a sequel cuz the old Dredd comics have a lot of really neat material to use.

Dredd

8 years ago

They made a comic based on the movie, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the fucking movie.

Dredd

8 years ago

Hadn't seen the movie myself, but I'll put it on my massive 'to-watch/read' list, I've procured over the decades.

Dredd

8 years ago

I didn't see the movie in theaters but ended up renting it on Redbox.  Best dollar and some change I've spent in a awhile.  Really great movie and I would recommend checking out The Raid if you enjoyed it.