Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

Anyone know any good Recording and editing software to record games, I want to try my hands at youtubez. There dosen't even seem to be much of a forum to it either as the last one got claimed by YouTube.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

I think one of the best for recording is Fraps.

http://www.fraps.com

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

Open Broadcaster Software does recording, I believe, though I've been using Bandicam.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

Youtube Gaming. Ah, that's a fun job. (If you're doing it as a job.) Sort of. Sometimes.

Your computer always has to be in tip-top condition, lest your recording have an un-compettitive framerate/resolution and the game itself lag, you'll have to spend hours editting, you have to have some semblance of skill in playing while you're talking otherwise it'll be a fail-fest and you'll end up looking like an ass who doesn't know what he's talking about... And most of all, you have to find time to do it. All the time... You'll notice how Markiplier, the Grumps, and countless others, whenever they start to talk about their lives, have this complaint in common: Between work and gaming, (or just gaming, if youtube is their entire dealio) they have very little time to do anything else. Hell, if they want their channels to stay popular (read: Profitable) very few youtubers in general hae time to do much else. And I do mean anything. I mean, let's see, Dan has been consistently single for how many years now?...

That isn't to say playing video games isn't a helluva way to make money, nor is it a bad thing to be famous for. In fact, you don't even have to hit it big to make money. There's this guy from Australia whose username I can't remember, who I honestly would never have heard of if I didn't need help with a quest in New Vegas. The video was pushing only about 1,000 views, and he explicitly stated that those views were basically his living. Then again, maybe shit in Australia is just really cheap? Or maybe he lives in a shack off of canned soup and vegemite? I dunno. I've never actually done it, but I have considered doing a Let's Race with one of my friends just to have something we can show our grandchildren when they ask what we did for fun bac in those primitive years...

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

He probably lives in a shack off canned soup and vegemite (hell even that's overpriced as hell). Shit in Oz is not cheap; median house prices have risen to a million dollars, and $50 steam cred is $72 here.

Sorry just had to point that out. Wish me luck when I move out in a year's time at 18.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

Jesus! I couldn't imagine living with those prices. Specially since i don't buy much full price.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

And people wonder why we're still living with our parents at 28....

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

I don't know my vaguely British accents that well- there's too many of them around the world to keep track. If that's really the case, he was probably Cockney... Or maybe West-Canadian? Or maybe he emmigrated to the Phillipines? Afaik, they aren't doing much better, and someone's bound to correct me.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

If you want to bypass most of these, then maybe go into streaming where you don't have to edit videos and you don't need to put as much time into it as youtube gaming does. You still have to be able to speak well whilst you play (and you have to play gud too).

I would say that streaming is more competitive than youtube though and the few big streamers I've asked have been doing it for quite a while. So most of them don't suddenly get a fanbase because of some big thing they did, but because they've built up that fanbase over time.

For both of these though, I would say that connections > experience.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

You also have to maintain some degree of health to keep up with the video frequency, unless you're more of a streamer.

Streaming's incredibly difficult, especially on Youtube, unless you built a top-line optimized PC.

SSohpkc was one of the more steady youtube gamers that I followed a couple years ago, but he seriously got screwed up by kidney problems and the like.  he pretty much stopped now, but to even make somewhat decent money, you have to make a ton of videos or have an incredibly dedicated fanbase, both of which are gambles.

Youtube Gaming

8 years ago

I've found Action! to be the best recording software. It is expensive, but it has a 30 day trial :)