Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Hello everyone, I am TLAW. I am new to this site and plan to contribute to this website greatly through plenty of stories. I will be releasing my first story in a day or two so be on the lookout. If you have any questions I will answer them eventually.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Hello, TLAW. I'm Morgan, your friendly local Social Justice Owl. Welcome! And do try not to make an ass of yourself. We have all kinds here... even if I have to represent several of them myself. 9_9

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
Eh, this post probably belongs in 'Newbie Central.' But, regardless, hello.

On a side note, I can almost guarantee if you write and release a story within two days - then it is going to be a steaming pile of crap. Good writing takes time, and the amount of effort for a decent CYOA is almost certainly going to require more than a meager two days of work. Check out some of the writing tips under help & info and take some time to really plan out your plot. It'll pay dividends in the long run.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Welllll, it can be an interesting exercise to work with a time constraint: see Ludum Dare & other game jams for proof. But in the general case, I'm sure you're correct.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
@insanebutvain did one of her stories in like two or three hours, and I really like her writing. But for every good story we get like this, we get hundreds of dung heaps that get purged, especially from first time writers.

Yes, this is a personal request that you work on a new story :)

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

*looks over shoulder*

um...

...was that directed at me? o_O

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
The second paragraph was targeted towards insanebutvain. But I'm anticipating a story from our beloved owl as well.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

...and NOW I notice the @... 9_9

Haha, thanks. It's not impossible, actually, buuuuut it's likely to be a while. 

*browses profile* ooooh. I want to learn my state capitals again, and I hate zombies! That's totally going on my to-play list. ^_^

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
One of these days, I'm going to set a week or two aside and re-master that. Fix a few glitches, enhance the combat, add additional useless information, extend the non quiz aspects and branch out the story, add a second level to hell... you know the mundane things ;)

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Of course! Just watch out for feeping creatures. ;)

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Well, I was thinking about my story a while before I found this website. I even wrote a comic about it a few years ago in Middle School. It's going to be a part of a saga so if there are any problems with it I will gladly improve upon them.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
That's more or less what I was afraid of. We see many new writers that are so excited about writing - this is a positive - that they force churn out stories or release them episodically - this is bad.

Allow me to do my best Aaron Rodgers impersonation. Five letters. R - E - L - A - X. Relax.

If you take your time, plan out your story and write the entire thing, I'm sure it will turn out fine. But we see so many people write two paragraphs or less per page then publish a twenty page story and slap a PART 1A-B: THE BEGINNING OF THE BEGINNING BEFORE THE PROLOGUE or some other rubbish in front. I encourage you to embrace the process and write your story as one complete game. Sequels only really make sense if there is a logical distance in the games, or if they are full and complete stories in their own right.

When people rush and spit out these sagas, parts or hurried sequels, inevitably the game gets smashed in the comments by frustrated readers that have seen the same mistake so many times before, and a few people leave helpful tidbits.

Anyway, prior planning is a good start, and you seem open to constructive criticism. I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to ask any questions you may have.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

I suppose your right. But I might as well release Chapter 1 Tomorrow (Just as a test run to see if people like you or Morgan are interested.) Then after that I can take my time. So just expect my first chapter to be a "beta". As I can listen to criticism.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
Beta and demos get deleted and are frowned upon. I recommend either asking someone to proofread for you, as Kiel suggested (you can have them do this without publishing), or posting the beginning in the writing workshop asking for feedback.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Okay, well, would you like to proofread what I have so far? It's unfinished of course, but if you are willing, I can let you read it.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

I'll be willing to proofread it now.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Sure. But now I have a question. How do I allow you to proofread my story? Remember, I am green to this website.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Just copy the URL and PM it to me.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
You can do what Political said. But so long as you keep the 'preview' option, or whatever the hell it's called, on for the story in question under 'MY STUFF,' people should be able to read whatever you have. A PM and a link are a nice courtesy though, if you know someone is going to proofread for you.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
OUTBREAK CHAPTER 1, I presume? I'd be more than happy to take a look at it, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm enjoying my friend's Christmas gift - a six pack of specialty brews! But I'll take a look at it tomorrow evening for you.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Sure, thanks.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Whoa, no. Nononono. Do not release demos / partial stories for beta-reading. People will beta for you without you publishing if you ask, but it's frowned upon to release broken / unfinished games, you can get a bad rep that way.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
Jynx

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Only works if the wording is the same. ;P

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
That may be as close as we can get with two posts on the same comment within seconds of each other! Damn if I'm not impressed.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

...what they said, if you had any doubts. 9_9

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

I'd like to add that people can proof read your stories before you post them, in case you'd like some idea of how the story will be received or what you can improve on.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Welcome. For future reference, intro threads belong in "Newbie Central." (Please do not re-post, as a mod will likely come along and move this...)

I'm Kiel. Pleased to meet you. If you need assistance with anything, don't hesitate to ask. I'd advise reading the help and info section, particularly the articles on writing if you're planning to release a story shortly.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago
Welcome!

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Greetings!

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

~Welcome

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

NB: This is Berka, who is a mod. Not sure why he never mentions that, when introducing himself.... buuuut if you need to draw a mod's attention to something, you can tag him like so: @BerkaZerka

Not sure if tagging excludes punctuation, so don't do something like @BerkaZerka!

Also, the programmer, AlexP, only shows up once in a blue moon. Bug reports are dealt with, but not quickly, unless they're seriously game-breaking. And I DON'T mean your storygame, I mean the whole damn site.

New CYS account here.

8 years ago

Welcome.