Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 3/11/2016: Please read the article explaining how to properly format a Feature Wishing Well post. Thanks.

Experiece Points+Main Chat

8 years ago

I have two suggestions.

1. Maybe we could get experience points if our stories are high rated and we have many ratings.

2. If there could be just a big main chat, that would be nice. 

8 years ago

Um...

1. You can get your story featured if it's good enough to deserve said high rating, and featuring gives you points, so this would be a bit redundant. Besides, just creating your first three games give you points to begin with. Besides, getting a game to be well liked by your fellow writers / readers is its own reward.

2. No. No, it would not. Have you ever seen the comment section of a busy youtube live stream? It's trollish nonsense and utter chaos. The people who have anything important to say, or have real needs, get ignored in favor of the loudest and rudest of the bunch, or alternatively, get steam rolled by the enthusiasm of the masses. We've had hundreds of guests here before at one time, I do not need or want to know what hundreds, or even 85 (the amount online currently) people are thinking all at the same time. That's what would make telepathy, a theoretically awesome super power, total hell. If it was an open chat for, say, 10 people at most, fine. Maybe even 20. But a site-wide real-time chat would be madness, and we have forums which are open to everyone, just slower and well-monitored. 

8 years ago

Well to be fair, I rarely see more than 20 people logged into the site at a time, and not everyone would use it in the first place.

That said, there's places to make chatrooms everywhere and IRC is still a thing that exists, anyone can set up a channel and stick a link in a thread.

Though in my few experiences with that a public channel tends to lead to tears and drama, cliques and powertripping OPs, high levels of autism and people going on insane rants...or at the very least a bunch of time wasted posting pictures of kittens that could've been spent writing.

A writing workshop themed room can be nice to hang out in though if you can limit it to people you trust.

8 years ago

I see your point, 

8 years ago

We have 81 guests and 32 members on now. I wouldn't say it's rare. But hey, if it wasn't open to guests, sure. It might actually be manageable--if, as you suggested, still not entirely productive. After all, we have several troll accounts around here.

8 years ago

But you have to take into account that not everyone logged in is necessarily even chatting. You might have thirty people logged in all doing things in the background or afk. Or at least in IRC that kind of thing is pretty common, lots of perma lurkers.

Still, this is all just theoretical. QoS or anyone else could make their own channel and link it, but an official one for the site just would not be happening unless a mod could be in there 24/7. It's a liability issue.

8 years ago

Right, which is what I was implying. If it wasn't open to guests, then the amount of people who were able and willing to participate would be manageable. But yeah, we'd need a mod for all hours and that's never going to happen.

8 years ago

I've been on a online writing app with many more users and a main chat. It never got flooded. But yeah, I see your point. Both would be pretty useless.

8 years ago

Well, that's cool. I wish I had the confidence to say CYS could manage a mass chat without any chaos, but the forums can get rather crazy as is.

8 years ago

Eh, I know nothing, I'm new.