Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Mason's Motivational Thread. Yep, again.

8 years ago

Okay, I am starting a HUGE storygame. Really need some motivation, so I am trying what the other "big" authors are doing. So, here is my plot. May come as a shock to you :D.

Your name will be Matthew (a boy) or Katie (a girl). You start out in your childhood, and eventually end in your college years. That is, if you survive. The world will be constantly evolving around you, and you will interact with love interests and friends. Dangers get harder and more intense the farther it gets, and eventually you can get in deep trouble. Hopefully, you can find love. As you interact with women/men, you will gain love points. The higher it is, the better results. The ultimate and best win is marriage.

Be warned: This game will have violence, alcohol consumption, drug use, language, sexual content, and more.

8 years ago

Cool, a dating sim directed by Micheal Bay. Can't wait!

8 years ago

Who did what now?

8 years ago

Make that motherfucking money!

8 years ago

Okay.......

8 years ago

http://youtu.be/_wYtG7aQTHA

8 years ago

I'm afraid where that goes.

8 years ago

Epic rap battles.

8 years ago

I'm scared. That was terrible.

8 years ago

What!?! That shit was hilarious. Spielberg wrecked it!

8 years ago

K..........

8 years ago

Michael Benjamin Bay is an American filmmaker known for directing and producing big-budget action films characterized by fast cutting, stylistic visuals and extensive use of special effects, including frequent depiction of explosions. -Wikipedia

8 years ago

Oh, I get it now!

So, yeah, that's what it will basically be XD

8 years ago

Stop posting here AND GET TO WORK.

On another note... I really should write something.

Honestly, just don't give up. It's tough but will be soooo worth it.
I love finishing a page, so imagining finishing a STORYGAME is just epic. Climb that mountain.

P.S. Then play my forum game. ;D

P.S. When you finish it I will continue work on my storygame. Gather a crew and do stuff. Want to know more? Finish your storygame! :D

My motivational skills are great.

8 years ago

Haha, thanks Zake. That was very, er, coach like of you (?)

Update + 1st Writing Sample

8 years ago

UPDATE!!!!!

+11 pages

11/??? Pages complete.

0/??? Chapters complete.

Okay, so I have done quite a bit in the last few hours. So, this is kind of embarrassing, but here is a sneak peek:

Oh, and P.S, this isn't really the main focus of the story, but rather a sample of my writing. Ugh, this is terrible.

You can't tolerate this. Standing up, you put down your shovel. "No. Get away."

They laugh. "How pathetic. I will still have the pleasure of beating you though."

As if all in slow motion, the punch hits you in the chest. Your tender flesh ripples and the air is quickly knocked out of you. Struggling to breath, you fall down and cry. The kids run away and Kamaiko dashes to your parents.

They get you and your mother is really scared. '"Oh my God, oh my God. What happened?"

You can feel like you can reach out and grab her. But no, the light dissapears. Fading, you fall into a heavy sleep.

----------------------------------

The light comes back, as a blur, but very heavy. The light seems artificial.....and very bright. Your eyes sting and you wince, remembering what happened. Standing up in your bed, Kamaiko stands next to the bed holding the hand of your mother- comforting her the best she can. Holding your forehead, your whole skull is throbbing. Hmm......must have fallen down hard after the blow. A weird man also is in the room, he has a funny little white costume and a weird cord around his neck. Stepping up, he puts the cord on your chest. Turning around, he mumbles something to your parents. You notice, your father is also in the room. Kamaiko's mother takes her away to the corner of the room, so that your parents can come to you.

"Matthew.....what happened?" Your mother looks at you, anxious.

This time, Kamiko steps up. "There was mean kids. They were being mean. He.....he didn't let them be mean to me. They then hurt him....."

Your mother's eyes glare. Wincing, you wait for your father. His eyes drift off, and you don't know what is inside his brain. He crouches down, holding his hands together. "You did the right thing Matthew."

8 years ago

Yep, I just posted that XD.

8 years ago

Good to see you making progress. This is much better than some of your other stories I read during the contest. It still needs some editing with the grammar and spelling, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. Just keep writing as long as you can and don't let yourself getting sidetracked with editing or watching the forums. Force yourself to write. Then when you finish, give it a few days. Look at it with fresh eyes and fix what needs to be fixed. That's all the advice I have. Hope it helps.

Feel better now? Lol.

8 years ago

XD

Well, thanks so far. I am 100% sure that later when it gets into the older years I will be able to write more. Mostly because I don't know much about the younger years. So hopefully it will get better then.

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, so far I have a good system (I think). When you do tasks and stuff you will increase/decrease your relationship with people, and later on mafia and police will also be added. The higher your relationship the better you are with them physically, emotionally, mentally, and sexually.

8 years ago

So, does anybody have some tips on this? Experienced help such as Seth's would be great. Of course, because he is a professional love writer.

8 years ago

The whole plot sounds great! I don't know any tips I can give you, if any. But, I can't wait to play this storygame! 

8 years ago

Thanks. If you want to read a sample it's above. Even if it is terrible lol.

8 years ago

UPDATE!

+8 pages.

19/??? Pages

0/???  Chapters

Side-note: I will start the girl side once the boy side is complete.

EDIT: New side-note: 2 potential love interest, Chinese girl named Kamaiko and brown-haired Sarah.

8 years ago

I find it amusing that you describe Sarah simply as brown-haired.

8 years ago

Lol, I was going to edit it later!

8 years ago

Please Donut Reply!

Potential Proofreaders.

@Wigglewigglewiggle   -Confirmed.

@Zake    -Unconfirmed.

EDIT: Any more proofreaders would be great, if you want to volunteer post NOT beneath this thread or PM me.

8 years ago

Mason, just curious, as a middle schooler, how prepared do you honestly feel to write about 'violence, alcohol consumption, drug use, language, sexual content, and more'?

Make sure the story includes at least three rapes, okay, or no one will ever be able to take it seriously. It just won't be edgy enough.

8 years ago

Uh, er, thanks for the pep talk, Mizal? Uh, yeah, I'll be sure to add the, uh, stuff you wanted in it. Uh, thanks for the advice (?)

Actually, I'm going into high school next year, and I'm pretty mature dumb.

8 years ago

UPDATE!

+1 Character added. Role: Friend. Gender: Male.

Goal Added: 5 pages per day. If not, must add them to pile.

8 years ago

New Plans:

Once I am finished with a chapter I will get my proofreaders. After checking it for mistakes I will spruce it up. Then, I will move onto the new chapter. I will repeat this until the game is done. After it is done, I will proofread the entire game, all of the chapters included. After that I will read it over for about 2 days, then be finished. Click! Then, it will be done. Man, I really hope you guys enjoy it.

8 years ago

Update!

+7 Pages

26/??? Pages complete.

0/??? Chapters complete.

More proofreaders: Wiggle and Zag are now confirmed proofreaders.

Man, I really am feeling unconfident about this story though :/

8 years ago

Go Mason go!

8 years ago

XD, I think I'm taking a break for at least an hour. Then, back to slaving.

8 years ago
Go Mason Go!

8 years ago

XD

8 years ago

Well, good news: 30 pages down.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

MAJOR UPDATE!

I'm handing out cameos, if anyone cares to have an appearence in it :D

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Sure.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Okay, writing you in. Hmm......striper? Gangster? Hmm, I wonder what to put you as........XD

Oh, and I will allow you to put specifics on your character.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Sure. A zombie stripper if you can.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

XD, I might make you some kind of Donald Trump supporter? (XD, jk.) Hmm, I think I might write you in as a reference or something. Haha, you won't know until it's done. XD, just wait..........

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Lol. Okay. Just so you know I was kidding about the stripper zombie. But seriously.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Okay.......I will try not to make your character not very bad........

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Umm.. That's a double negative I think so... Oh... I see.  o_-

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Haha. Let's stop though, it's kind of clogging the thread, sorry.

EDIT: I think there may be only room for a dozen of cameos. If people even are interested that long XD.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago
Give me one.

A bus driver called Henson Olos would be fine.

Then reappears and saves the main characters life if they were nice to me when they got on the bus all those years ago. :D

*This IS a reference to slipstream, but instead of spaceships he drives buses.*

Maybe make him change to trucks, then carrier planes. Be creative it's your story.

On another note, don't need to write him in. Cameos are hard work and it IS your story.

Also.

Go Mason Go!

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

Haha, lol. I think I know how to put you and @ZagHero  in. This is going to be funny. Please take in mind this won't be some humongous game. I will try my best lol.

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

I'm debating whether I want to be portrayed as a clown street performer who's clown persona is named Quirky the Clown, or a charismatic homeless street poet. Eh, you can choose for me.

Go Mason go!

Handing Out Cameos

8 years ago

I want one! Make me a public masturbator that yells "TROGDOR!!" every time someone sees him.

8 years ago

Update for April 1st!!!

+10 pages.

36/??? Pages complete.

0/??? Chapters complete.

Amazing announcement: I have half a dozen proofreaders ^_^. Thanks guys, for your continued support and thanks, especially for the proofreaders. You guys are amazing, everyone of you! 

Supporter hotspot today: @Claw2k11 , by helping with continued game support and amazing tips! Thanks, bro.

8 years ago

Oh god, and I haven't even posted my first storygame and you're working on a HUGE story!

But in all seriousness though, don't start out with huge storygames that will take too long to make, in the first days you'll probably add things like crazy since ideas will pop in like crazy, but as you progress and you have so many choices to think the end of, you'll grow ever more stressed and sometimes confuse the ends of other paths with one another and soon after, writer's block will hit and you'll start to delay the game... I'm speaking from experience, my friend.

So at first I propose you start with smaller or shorter storygames, or even offer to co-author with someone who has experience with this in hopes of learning a thing or two about writing storygames. That will build up your confidence, though it doesn't mean you'll stop having writer's block from time to time, you'll hopefully have it less often. With everything said, I would like to offer as proofreader if it isn't too much.

8 years ago

Oh my God, thanks Claw. This is a beautiful peace of advice. Really, I don't have much in mind, but I think I'm going good so far (?). I am trying to do what you said, make it stay low. I'm going to give it a good month or two before finishing it, don't expect a huge game though. But, thanks Claw. I will take this in mind.

8 years ago

Oh, @Claw2k11  , didn't notice the proofreading request. Sure, thanks, I will write you up.

8 years ago

MAJOR UPDATE!!!!

Sorry guys, but I've decided that I'll remove the girl path. Terribly sorry. Not because of feminism but instead of laziness.

8 years ago

.......but the good news is that I finished the first chapter! 50/??? Pages!

8 years ago

http://youtu.be/0VP7xTQf_qI

8 years ago

8 years ago

You're welcome. Fifty pages is quite a lot for the amount of time you've been writing this. Keep it up.

8 years ago

Thanks laugh