Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Does anyone here play it? I've played it for about a year and still haven't figured out how Fortress Mode plays out, but I made an Elf adventurer recently and an encounter like this played out. Keep in mind she was bitten by a Weremammoth, which caused the loss of her left hand and she barely escaped alive. This encounter happened on the next full moon and she regenerated her hand in the process of transforming.

Cakush Mineclashed = Minotaur

Cakush Mineclashed punches you in the lower body, bruising the guts!

You feel sick.

Cakush Mineclashed
Aiming for your head with right hand.

You catch Cakush Mineclashed's right hand with your right hand!

You lock wrists with Cakush Mineclashed.

You bend Cakush Mineclashed's wrist, and the injured part explodes into gore!

Cakush Mineclashed gives into pain.

I then proceeded to tear off Cakush's head and carried it with me as I made the long trek back to the human lord who asked me to hunt Cakush down, ready to throw the decapitated head in front of his feet so I have proof of Cakush's death.

but then bogeymen attacked just as the full moon ended (so I turned back into a scrawny elf instead of staying as a weremammoth) and just before the sun came up to incinerate them all, so I was torn to shreds by a slate grey creature with "cracked skin" and "a dangling trunk" with "no skin". (and also by whatever other bogeymen types there were but I only looked at the appearance of one before they tore me to pieces.)

So... has anyone else here played Dwarf Fortress?

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I played it a while ago, but not much recently. When I did I tended to just play adventure mode instead of fortress. I'm wanting to do that eventually, but it's going to take a while to learn that mode. 

The most interesting thing that happened to me was trying to take down a trio of Necromancers. I usually played as a Demi God human. The weapon I used was varied. I always used a bunch of points on social awareness so I could get a lot of followers. That  and I usually became very proficient with a sword. Anyway, as I was exploring the world, I came across a lair. Needless to say I went to explore it. At the time I only had a couple of followers, but I was brave and went in. On the first floor we encountered around 20 zombies. My group and I took down a few, then died gruesome deaths. 

Around this time I found that you could go to the exact same place you explored in a previous place. So I gathered about ten more followers and became even more proficient in sword fighting. Then I decided to actually use some semblance of battle tactics. My group and I led the zombies out of the Necromancers' fortress, so we could use hit and run tactics. We were doing pretty good until the Necromancers showed up. All of the zombies we slew were brought back to life by two of the three Necromancers. We got surrounded so we fought and fought, and eventually we were but a few people left. One of my companions scored a lucky hit on a Necromancer and he gave into pain. I dealt the finishing blow to the Necromancer by decapitating him, but not before a zombie bit my leg. I realized I was about to die so I left my last companion and limped away hoping for an escape route. I saw a river and dived in hoping that zombies couldn't swim. Then I remembered that I didn't spend any skill points on the swimming skill.  Let alone my leg was severely hurt. As i was drowning and trying to reach the opposite shore, I saw the alligators. Apparently the river was alligator infested. I died by being torn apart.

On my third attempt I realized I was going about this the wrong way. Why wade through hordes of zombies to kill a Necromancer, when I could shoot him with an arrow from afar. That's right. I finally found my calling, as an archer. Oh but I wanted to be prepared this time. I spent a long time gaining followers, and ambushing goblins, kobolds and the like. When I finally thought we were ready I had a solid minimum of 25 people following me as their designated leader. I went to the fortress. The battle of the previous life showed on the field outside of the fortress. Like before we led the zombies outside. All of the bodies from the last life were raised, or too messed up to be risen from the dead. The zombies stood at around fifty in total. A battle ensued with bodies on both sides falling. We lost almost ten when the last two Necromancers showed up. They raised the bodies from the dead, outnumbering us again. But I refused to lose this time. I took an arrow and nicked it in my bow. With the aim I gained from previous adventures in this life, the arrow soared true and struck a Necromancer in the head. The Necromancer died almost instantly. My companions were just about ten left at this point. I knew our only hope was to kill the last Necromancer. He stood again at the end of the horde. The bodies were being revived less readily, as there was only one Necromancer left. We were still outnumbered by at least 2:1 though, and we were being pushed back steadily. Soon enough the closed in on us. You see my party was organized like a typical company of adventurers. Ranged in the back and melee fighters in the front. Usually a really solid strategy for combat. That is until a warrior broke the line. He was jumped on by a zombie and died brutally. Then the same zombie set its beady eyes on me. I was already taking shots at the Necromancer, but none were having much effect as the Necromancer got smart. He was hiding by several zombies and having them take my shots for him. I didn't notice the zombie that broke the line. It lunged at me and took a bite out of my left arm. Over my adventures I had collected a couple of daggers and stuff, so I used one to make quick work of that zombie. After that small melee battle for my archer, I realized I was useless. The zombie had snapped bones and cut tendons in my arm. I was no longer able to fight the way I was used to. Without my expertly aimed arrows taking out zombies that threatened to take out our line we were at a severe disadvantage. And that is aside from the fact that our line had already been broken. Our group fell into disarray within half a minute. We were finally surrounded. Four of my companions surrounded me fending of as much of the horde as possible. If they were to die they were to die defending they're leader. In this moment I knew I couldn't fail them. Those still alive as well as those who fought for me in this life, and my previous ones. One arm was ruined, and I couldn't take a dagger and throw it properly. I looked around the small area I was in, and inspiration came. A stone, no larger than my hand was sitting there on the ground. I picked it up and set my eyes on the Necromancer. He must've gotten cocky because his shield zombies were gone. Maybe he saw me drop my bow, but at that point in time it didn't matter to me. I was going to avenge my companions. My group finally broke and all of my companions, but one fell around me. I took my aim and hurled the stone through the air towards the Necromancer. The climax of this character's life came together then. All of the skill and experience I had gathered throughout the life represented itself in this throw. It sailed true and struck the Necromancer in the head, causing him to give into pain. Essentially he was knocked out. It was like I could feel my character smile right before the zombies closed in on me tearing me into pieces. I never found out what happened after that. Maybe my last companion escaped, or maybe he was killed as well. I like to think he dealt the finishing blow to that last Necromancer, but I never found out. If he did die though, I can rest well knowing that a Necromancer doesn't have control of zombies when he isn't conscious. More likely than not the zombies turned on their master and killed him. 

After that life I took a break from the game. When I got back to it, my brother had created a fortress on the same world, meaning that I could never use that world for adventure mode again. I guess I'll never truly know what happened after that last character died.

So yes, I guess you could say I played a bit of Dwarf Fortress. 

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Sorry, that is a massive wall of text. 

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Ooh. Necromancers are tough. If they reanimate a face or skin, RUN. Faces and skin can only be killed by lava or something called "atom smashing" which you can only do in fortress mode. As a human bandit turned werelephant, I spent an entire in-game day punching, clawing, and biting a dead guy's face until I passed out from over-exertion and the face 'pushed' me, opening a major artery and killing me.

I usually don't go after necromancers until I'm a werebeast and on a full moon, or until I'm a legendary hero. I used to become a necromancer by becoming a vampire and just waltzing in, but zombies attack vampires now. :(

Once I made a spearwoman who used a spear as a kind of staff, and I managed to recruit enough companions to act as fodder for me so I could sneak in, grab the slab, and escape. I then went on a rampage spree until I got to evil lands, where I awaited the rain in the hopes of being severely disfigured or something. Turns out the rain wasn't an acid evil rain, but rather a thrallification evil rain, so I became something called a 'blood thrall' (and also lost my skin, so it was sort of an acid rain anyway) and built up a great castle somewhere in the evil lands.

I was gonna then proceed to make a hero adventurer who would hunt down this woman, who I came to know as the 'lich queen', but my save ended up getting corrupted.

Thralls are awesome though. You can't die... even if you're beheaded. You can only die by severing the entire upper body.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I'm not that familiar with it. My games usually consisted of gathering people, then looking for trouble. I once made a world, and stopped the process less than a hundred years in. Titans and giants roamed around everywhere. It took forever but I was able to find a dragon. We killed it easily, so I'm assuming it wasn't old enough to pose a major threat to us. Although a lot of my people died from some kind of acid. I hate bogeymen above all else. I want to so badly hunt them down and kill them, but they only show up at night when you're alone, so I'm often times outnumbered by 50:1 as I'm running away. I haven't looked into it, but maybe bogeymen have some kind of lair? I think my goal is to ride a dragon, although I don't know if that's possible.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Yeah, dragons have a MASSIVE mature size but it takes approximately 1000 years to reach their full size. At 1000 years, they're about the size of a Draltha which is in turn half the size of an elephant. So you basically killed a giant, reptilian cow.

Bogeymen don't have lairs because they're manifestations of fear, so you can never find their lairs to hunt down and kill them.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

The thing about anthropomorphic manifestations of fear is, chances are if you're off to hunt them down and kill them all, you don't have enough fear for them to manifest. So you can kill off all the bogeys just by getting really pissed... But that leaves you vulnerable to Piss Elementals...

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I think I've played it. Sounds familiar..xD

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

PHEEWWWEE! This is a steep learning curve, but it looks so goddamn amazing that I'm determined to play it eventually! I will learn what all these letters are! I will stop trying to yell at dungeon debris! Just like I learned how to conquer all of Calradia!

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Yeah, it's got such a steep learning curve that the players have come to call it a learning cliff instead. I'd recommend Adventure Mode first as it's a lot easier to manage than figuring out Fortress Mode.

Here's a tip. Shift + A in Adventure Mode is an aimed attack (lets you choose what to attack). Always used aimed attacks.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I've since become a boxing tortoise... There is no body part that a giant tortoise can't break, apparently, which is good, because breaking other people's body-parts is the only thing I know how to do.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

... how did you become a giant tortoise? Did you mod in playable giant animals or are you a giant tortoise-man?

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Tortoise-man. A lot of the furries in this game are beautifully game-breaking, as they should be.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

You should see elephant-seal men.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I've already seen Orca, which I chose because that sounded fucking metal. Then I heard on the wiki that some of the dudes suffer from Carnivorism and I decided to steer clear of that adversity, since I barely comprehend how to pick up food in the first place. But then there's the elephant man, which is essentially god-mode.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Calradia was a joke with Khergits and Nords.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Really I just cheesed the siege battles, took credit because I was the marshal, and then garrisoned the places I owned with all my elite fantasy-counterpart-Italians with crossbows that just don't quit. It was all renown and questing from there.

My real achievement was conquering Viking-Age Europe with mostly Picts.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Sounds really fun. Going to try it out, sometime.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

No. Well, I tried, but was unsuccessful.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Going to need to recheck that game out

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Humans are resilient motherfuckers. Seriously! I was ambushed by one out in some wilderness or other. I decided that the best course of action was violence, so I grabbed him by the ear, and then pinched him as hard as blazes while socking him in the face over and over again.

Then I grabbed his tongue, which is something I had to do the moment I knew that could happen, and threw him. The tongue had split open at some point during the grabbing process because I'm too pro at wrestling, so blood got everywhere, and apparently he skidded along by his neck hard enough to smash it into his body and make it an unrecognizable mass of flesh.

But apparently that only pissed him off. I was so scared of this implacable motherfucker that I disarmed him and bit open all the fat and arteries in his head, then ran away. But all this only seemed to slow him down! He kept lumbering after me bleeding all over the place, and I finally just hid in my shell and waited for him to die.

Don't mess with humanity. Their vital bits mean nothing to them!

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

you might've been fighting a vampire human if that's the case. He should've given into pain after turning into an unrecognizable mass of flesh, but he didn't, so that means he probably had the NO_PAIN tag which only thrall zombies and Vampires have.

I didn't realize vampires couldn't suffocate at first, so I pushed a vampire and myself into a river and tried to drown him while strangling him, but he just kept punching my arm until the bone shattered. I gave into pain and lost my grip on the river fall, and fell down a waterfall and exploded. My status was, "Your upper body is gone. Your head is gone. Your left arm is gone. Your right arm is gone. Your neck is gone."

The vampire, being a sly fucker, just sat at the top of the waterfall as the water turned red from the blood covering his clothes.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Well, it was in the middle of the night, and I usually don't get attacked by peasants... Shame, I should've drank his blood if that were the case! It'd really help me out raiding the Tower so I can break the game even harder!

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Got the hang of fortress mode... somewhat. The whole fortress filled with miasma as they died one by one from starvation and thirst because I made my fortress in an evil biome, so instead of water there was only "acrid mucus" that raised dehydration and caused minor burns. I couldn't figure out how to dump the corpses so they just rotted, which is why the fortress filled with miasma.

In a final last-ditch effort, I sent two dwarf miners deep underground to try and restart the fortress there since they were listed as "Lovers" in relationship status. Not only did I realize they didn't bring the plump helmet seeds with them, but I also realized that the two lovers... were both women, so they couldn't have children to repopulate and would've died off anyways.

After the first of the two lovers died of hunger, I made the second start work on two stone coffins and a memorial slab for them after engraving the walls with the history of the fortress, but after the engravings were done she could only complete one coffin, dying right after burying her lost love.

Worse yet, the randomly generated name for this fortress...

was "Heavenscontruct".

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Looks amazing. Definitely going to check adventure mode out. How much does it cost?

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

It's free. The game is funded entirely by optional donations, which the game never even mentions or pressures you into.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I've gotten it. It's a tad confusing. How do I play adventure mode?

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I PMed you the answer.

Make sure you're using the latest version, too, which can be found here.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Haven't played in a couple of years. I kept meaning to pick it up again after the last major update but I'm trying to avoid major time sinks like that right now. I usually like to fool around with making aboveground forts or other gimmicks, but when all the necromancy stuff came out it changed the balance and strategies needed wildly, I'm not sure the game really supports my favored playstyle at this point. 

I never did get into adventure mode, but I know that's been updated a lot too, maybe there's more actual content now beyond wandering around and killing things.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I was on a quest to stop some bandits. Was doing pretty good actually, but was forced to sleep in the wilderness. A wolf tore open my head when I was sleeping.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Losing is fun!

That's the actual motto of the game by the way. But hey, at least those wolves just got a name and were promoted to historical figures with the Legends system. It's like Shadow of Mordor, except if they actually delivered on their promises!

If you sleep in the wilderness, make sure to have a companion with you so the bogeymen don't attack. Companions don't stop wolves though... well, they kind of do if you leave them to be torn apart while you run.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

Remember to become a skilled  of Kisat Dur. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148015.0

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I started playing this game back before z-levels came in. So like...2007 I think. It's adorbs watching news players get all excited still. Can't really understand the fascination with adventure mode unless it's had some major updates though. 

I should grab the newest version, but, mpatiently waiting to get my data renewed so I can visit the rest of the internet again....

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

There is a dwarves martial art now. Fun as fuck to use in adventure mode. You can also be an entertainer now. Aimed attacks have been overhauled. You can craft items. You can carve your enemies into statues and sell them.

The dwarven martial art, Kisat Dur, can be found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148015.0

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

overall though, when compared to fortress mode, there's not much to do in adventure mode besides killing and torturing people in fun ways (and even then combat kinda loses its charm after a bit) looting/selling, and doing the same 4 types of quests (kobolds, bandits, beasts, and something else I'm forgetting I think). Or maybe I'm just missing out on some features because I only put like a couple of hours into adventure mode before decided I'd seen everything.

Anyway @sent tbh fortress mode is better than adventure mode, mainly because fort's been developed since 2005 or so while adventure mode came out in 2011 iirc.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I can't handle fortress mode. The controls for one dude are hard enough to remember without having to strategically organize a civilization of dwarves.  I do plan on swapping out once my Septagenarianage Mutant Boxer Turtle becomes Lich King of the Sandal Seas, but as I've put so many hours of effort into just surviving, I'd hate to have him die of old age in the middle of some campaign rather than becoming immortal for later use or dying a spectacular death while trying.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

nice opinion bro

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

>Play a fortress for the first time.

>Only thing I know how to do is dig and build traps

>Don't know what kind of Horrors live in the Desert that we started up in.

>Don't know what kind of Horrors live in The Deep Dark.

>Dugtoodeep.jpg

>Front door is puppy-guarded by Scorpion of Certain Death.

>Blind MurderBeasts of Asshole-Busting Fortress Rape feel their way to our doors downstairs.

>Let in the scorpion just to spite the Fortress Destructors, but now there's nowhere to run.

>All my best warriors and crossbowmen have long ago gone Werefucker and killed everyone else and those infected who have not been murdered by their reptilian bretheren, so my amount of Dwarfs is barely pushing the double digits. The only guy who didn't get infected or killed the first full moon turned out to be a vampire who was killing my dudes before, and he was killed the next month now. Half my soldiers I still kept in cage traps just because I was fearful.

>Everyone dies of Ogre Rape and Intense Brain Necrosis. Everyone. Even the Jabberwocky I caught in a cage earlier was wasted on that scorpion motherfucker before it could wreck any of the ogres.

>Go back to playing adventure mode. AFTER genning a new world, of course. I'm not sure I want to live in a world where one of the dungeons I'll eventually have to deal with is a giant fuckhole full of armor-stealing ogres and 1hk scorpions of Fuck You. At least not until I have an army of zombies to fight with.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

From what I read here, the game sounds absolutely amazing. I will definitely play this and die horribly in the process.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

One might say that dying horribly is the entire point of Dwarf Fortress. It's like trying to get into Valhalla: It doesn't matter that you've lost the game, as long as you've lost in a way that would make the gods laugh and cheer whenever the carnage is put to classical music. If it's a story that can earn a place in the Forum Hall of Fame, or a place in people's memory, you've won Dwarf Fortress!...

Because, let's face it, there's no way anyone's actually beat this game...

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I've played both modes... and I think the gods are laughing their asses off at how I died.

Dwarf Fortress

7 years ago

I've spent an hour getting lost in the TVtropes page... It's a sinkhole, as they all are. Interesting to note, though, that half the shit on the Nightmare Fuel page is the same shit that was on the Funny Stuff page, further supporting my assumption that generally every NF page can be easily personified as a pussy who feels deeply disturbed by fucking everything, and the Funny Stuff page is a jaded cynic with an oversensitive funnybone.