Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: handling scale that we haven't achieved

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
Pretty self-explanatory. Instead of just tagging a mod for a post, it would send a notification when you click on the button to a mod of your choosing or all mods active on the site. The user reporting would fill in a textbox stating why the report was needed. When the post is deemed as in need of removal, the post is deleted and the person who reported the post will recieve 1 point. Only 3 of these can be posted per day per user, to prevent spamming.

This will also cause less drama on the forums when a troll gets called out and just posts more.

Yeah, I know its until Alexp or the other grandmaster creators of the site comeback. But, it is a good idea.

(Inspiration from the Mod Alt tagging thread.)

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
I have to ask: why? I mean what sort of posts are you seeing that need to be reported that the mods are currently not seeing or missing?

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
Because it would be a discreet way to point out a troll without the troll instantly retaliating when a mod gets tagged.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

This is a step in the right direction. We don't always get on top of trolls immediately. This would help. Also, possibly a ghosting option. Allowing mods to ghost a member, making their posts in Invisible 

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

I think ghosting/shadowbanning/etc. would actually be a good idea. While I would hope that this site at least attracts trolls that are clever enough to notice when nobody's replying to their messages, it would mean that trolls'll make fewer alts because it takes more time for them to notice when they've been banned. 

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
PMing an admin works pretty well too, assuming even that much is necessary. There usually aren't enough new posts around in a day that End or Berka or one of the other, lesser subspecies of admin wouldn't notice trolling pretty quickly after logging in.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
While that is true, the secondary purpose of a report post button, on any forum site, is to let people know that you need to watch what you post due to people, such as yourself, having a low tolerance for it. It really acts like a warning sign.

Honestly, to re-enforce this, it would be best if the point was taken from the troll to the reporter.

Edit: It ( the first it.)being spamming, or shitposting.
Edit 2:And like what Freshnblood said, they do not always point them out immidiately, usually a user tags them to get the attention. Not saying a Mod will not notice spamming on their own though.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

Wouldn't this serve as an easier way for trolls to troll? I mean, I'd be able to just spam the mods by reporting every post I see. This would bog down the mods notifications and create an easy way for a mod to end up overlooking tags and what not.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
Like I said earlier, a user would only get 3 reports per day.

Edit:(In my opinion though users should be only be created once a mod approves of it by looking at the ip.)

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

It would be a pain in the ass for mods to need to confirm every new user. Plus, trolls can just get an extra three by making an alt.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

Yep, what MinnieKing said. It'd be a pain to make alts just to spam mods, but that's kinda what trolls do. 

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
But it would be an even more pain in the ass for everybody if we did not have at least something filter out at least some trolls. Maybe the only people who can report these trolls is people who meet the pre-requesties

-A user must be active for at least 7 days.

-Said user must have at least 50 points.

-User who gets this privelage only gets one to start off with until the user gets 100 points. Increasing the amount to 3.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

I suppose that might work then, although I have no idea what would have to be done to get this to work.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

I remember discussing a 'using points to post' idea years ago. Might be worth revisiting. 

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
It's not that there's anything wrong with the basic idea, it's just I don't see the community as being big enough that any of this would get used as intended very often at all, and there are other, more important things JJJ would probably rather spend his time on first, even if he had time to update the site at all right now.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
While that is a valid point, this is supposed to be structured like the "Get my attention" threads. Even though the site is small, there is still a shit ton of storygames that people report.

Now considering that these are forum posts, there would be an even more to report.

The reason i'm not asking for this to be a thread, is because like I said earlier, it would be a more discreet and the troll would not react to it.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

Really it’s obvious when a troll is around, they typically just spam shit all over the forums so there really isn’t much need to alert me at any rate since I’ve probably already seen what they’ve done.

The report button isn’t going to make anything more subtle because typically most on here can’t help but respond to trolls. (Which again makes it really easy for me to see the troll anyway)

If anything, I’d like the admins to be able to be invisible to the rest of the site so nobody can tell if they’re on or not. That way I can strike like a ninja just when the troll thinks it’s safe to spam shit.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

The invisible admin thing is a good idea.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago

I think it's rather simple for a mod to see a troll post and delete it. A report button would probably raise trolling more than it would remove it. It's very easy to tag a mod, and even easier to simply wait for a mod to delete it. A button that gives a notification really isn't needed.

Besides, we barely get any trolls that even try anymore.

Also, some people have different standards of what should be deleted or not. It would be rather annoying for a mod to look at a reported post only to find that it's not really worthy of deleting, but someone else thought so.

Also, a textbox stating why you reported a post takes the same amount, if not less effort than simply tagging a mod.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
I would personally tag every one of your embarrassing puns, and so would everyone else. This would probably be more annoying to the admins then just suffering through them on their own, yes.

There was an unusually long period where no one was around to deal with the spam yesterday, but most of the time there really is pretty much zero need to officially report a troll. I'm not sure why some people always panic and start tagging admins in the first place tbh. They'll see a bunch of new posts or threads with names like 'Endmaster is a meanie face' when they log in and until then we've all got a new toy to bat around if that amuses us.

A "report post" button.

6 years ago
You can already report threads for deletion in the Draw my attention threads. I'm sure you could also ask for a post to be deleted, however that should only be done if the post has been there for more than 2 days and admins have done nothing about it. A report button might be useful, but the site is to small to really require it. Posting in a thread takes about as much effort.
If you'd only report posts after a 2 day wait, there wouldn't really be many. Trols reacting doesn't matter. Trols get banned and will shut up.

Ghost Admins

6 years ago
Yeah, due to multiple ways that you could report of trolls in a discreet manner. The "report post" now seems obsolete. It would honestly be better to have shadow admins.

Ghost Admins

6 years ago
Admins should be able to go invisible, yes, but why must admins? Other forums I've been to let you check an option if you don't want to show up as online. (I think admins can still see hidden users though.)

Ghost Admins

6 years ago

Just go offline if you want to not be seen as online.

Ghost Admins

6 years ago
That's a great idea, right up until you want to do anything on the site.

Ghost Admins

6 years ago

Generally, admins can always see the hidden users.

Honestly I've wanted a hidden option for years here. Even Infinite Story had that option in their newer forums (Now the entire forum is hidden)