Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Taking vacations alone (sometimes)

6 years ago

A family member of mine has a timeshare & im basically able to go anywhere in the world from where I live now. I went to Florida in 2016 to universal studios but since then I haven’t been able to travel due to my new job & a whole bunch of family issues. But by summer this year I will be able to take a trip. So I’m debating on a place but of course when asking people I can’t get any official yes answers. So anyway I’m wondering if nobody else can make it on a trip with me Is it a good idea to travel alone. Most people told me yes some said they aren’t sure bc of the way the world is today 

6 years ago

Whether it's a good idea generally depends on where you're going.

Japan: Yeah

Taiwan: maybe, depends  on the region

South Africa: Hell no

6 years ago

South Africa's got some very nice places if you do your research and know where you won't die. North Africa's a little more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing because of its proximity/cultural influence to the middle east. East and West Africa's  a little more eh, mostly

because it's moderately close to both the Middle East and Central Africa. Central Africa's the place you don't go unless you have mercernaries/a buddy system that makes it harder to disappear... Then again basically all foreign countries are dangerous if you go out into an urban area and don't know any local languages.

6 years ago

North Africa's also quite nice, if you skip Libya. Egypt and Tunisia, for example, are a popular destination for people who want sun and beaches, but don't want to pay too much for them. And then there's the whole cultural heritage stuff and the like.

6 years ago
Guys can travel alone more easily than women can at least but honestly I still wouldn't recommend traveling internationally by yourself. (except to some place like Canada which is just gayer, more boring America anyway.)

Just go visit the Grand Canyon or something, I'll envy you. Or one of the billion other places in the massive geographically and culturally diverse country you live in. Either way, common sense wherever you go is to research the hell out of it in advance, the places you'll be visiting and the areas around the hotels you plan to stay at (nearest hospital, etc...although I'm sure there are entire websites and checklists on this stuff where you'll find better info than asking random idiots here.)

And at least have someone you keep in contact with and informed of where you'll be.

6 years ago
I don't recommend Iran.

6 years ago

Actually quite doable, I know some people who went there on holiday. It's quite a nice country, and the recent protests have been violently suppressed, so it's perfectly safe. 

Oh, but you're all from the Great Satan of course, that might be an issue...

6 years ago
Don't mind the glorious bald eagle soaring in my presence. No need to imprison this hiker.

6 years ago

You're more likely to worry about having lizards around you than Eagles...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/iranian-official-claims-west-used-lizards-as-nuclear-spies/

6 years ago
I feel like nothing that article could contain within it could do anything but dilute the purity of the title.

6 years ago

Contains suicide. 

6 years ago

I reccomend going to Seattle. There's so many people doing their own thing all sorts of events that you'll have fun.

6 years ago

I saw Seattle is a very popular tourist destination 

6 years ago

Go to Japan and do a vlog about the Aokigahara.

6 years ago
Belts are so 2017.

6 years ago

Just do what Logan Paul did.

6 years ago

Bro, I'll come with you. 

6 years ago
Maybe this was what he was fishing for all along. Surprised you're the first to make the offer.

6 years ago

We'd make the perfect pair. He's got the room covered and I have some extra standby passes so I can cover our airfare. All we have to worry about is food and ground transportation.

6 years ago

You already want to share a room with the guy? 

6 years ago

I'm desperate to go anywhere. Also, it's not like he's actually going to take some random person on his vacation...unless he is. If so, hmu. 

6 years ago

I'm not sure if it'll all work out but it sounds like you might need a vacation more than him. Well since apparently you're desperate to travel and also willing to be this guy's companion. 

Hmmm.

You aren't in heat or anything, right? Did you happen to eat or drink some weird Valentine's day concoction? 

Ah, nevermind, disregard the above questions. Just kidding. :) 

6 years ago

It's a bit of a derail, but what does HMU stand for?

6 years ago

You're so adorable. :) 

It means "Hit me up!" 

6 years ago

Adorable?  Interesting choice of words.  I've just always been really bad with acronyms until I've seen them a few times.

6 years ago
Depends on where you go. There are plenty of safe locations you can go to alone.

Keep in mind going anywhere alone increases the awkwardness of doing mundane things, like going to restaurants, so you probably won't get the full experience. Even more so if the activities you want to do actually require other people to enjoy.

So honestly I'd suggest trying to find someone to go with you. Alternatively, make an internet friend at the destination you want to go to and maybe, just maybe, they'll be a cool person and not sell your kidneys on the black market after you fall asleep.

6 years ago

or just stop giving a shit what people think. You're never going to have a good time if you're imagining how everyone is judging you for eating alone lmao 

6 years ago

Well I feel extremely shocked & awkward with all these responses. I would just rather go somewhere by myself then go with someone I never spoke to or met on the Internet, sorry lol. But yea I guess it’s all up to me where I wanna go & when I wanna go & who I go with 

6 years ago

Sorry in advance if I'm covering something already covered.

Actually, a lot of people do something similar, though not with just ONE person they've never met before.  I don't know how your travel time share works, but a lot of folks who want to travel go with tour groups and such.  Of course, it's not a fool-proof way of coming back safe, but if you stick to very touristy places, you're generally safer.  Especially in countries that rely highly on their tourism.  They don't look kindly on criminals taking out the people that are helping the economy.  You're probably more likely to be scammed or stolen from in those places, but not harmed.  

Look up crime-rates and such.  I know Canada has an official website that tells citizens where it's safe to go, not safe to go, and HOW safe it is to go.  Not sure if other countries have something similar, though some of the information could be used for people in general.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

At any rate, I really envy you!  There are so many places I'd love to travel, but due to finances, family, and health, I doubt I'll be able to.  So I hope you find someone to go with, or a tour group, or a relatively safe location and just GO ENJOY!

6 years ago

Well fucking obviously, why wouldn't it be a good idea to travel "because of the way the world is today." We're like at the most peaceful time in human history, now's the perfect time.

Get the fuck off your drab continent and go to Europe, because it's super safe, it's a great place and you get to be a cunt to other Americans when you tell them how your trip to Europe changed you and how their culture changed you so you can never "feel" the same way. Never elaborate on this, just recommend they also go to Europe and they wouldn't understand.

6 years ago

I was wondering when you were going to come into this thread and tell him to go to Europe (or Ireland specifically.)  Just seemed like it was all wrong for it to not happen. :)

6 years ago

Europe's amazing, I don't know why anyone wouldn't go. It's got a way more varied culture than like America or Canada per like amount of land occupied, with enough white things that you won't feel too out of place. It's got a shit ton of history, going from ancient Greeks, the Celtic tribes and the Romans and all that, then a load of castles and medieval type stuff, and then you've still got like two world wars that were fucking sick. The culinary shit is fantastic, and we've a load of art you can visit. Plus, we speak foreign languages so you can gawk at that, but we also mostly speak English. Plus, Europe has all the climates you need, be it Spanish Sunbathing, Swedish Skiing or any fuck ton of forests or that.

It's really the ideal holiday destination.

6 years ago

Well, unlike a lot of the people here, you actually ARE European, so it just made sense that you would promote it more than folks from North/South America or Asia or Africa.  That's all.

Personally I would love to go to Europe.  I mean, I love living in Canada, but there's a certain something about Europe.  Perhaps it's because that's where most of my family's routes are.  Perhaps it's because there aren't a lot of castles here in North America.  I just doubt I'll ever make it that far.  Hell, I'd be lucky to make it to the opposite end of my OWN country.  I'm really fascinated with other cultures, and as much as I love Canada, we're mostly a composite of other cultures with a little dash of our own.  Canada's history is relatively short, and fairly well documented.  There's less...mystery...here.

6 years ago

Well I've experienced it, so I'd recommend it. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Ireland, and don't know why people go on holidays here. I mean, it's an amazing place to live, but the weather alone should dissuade people, seeing as most of my holidays are to get a bit of sun.

6 years ago

Bah!  The sun is over-rated.  I hate the sun.  Grrr.  Okay, that's not true, since we'd all die without it, but I'd rather be in the shade, or the rain, or inside.  I would go on vacation to see castles and museums, not generally natural wonders.  Things that would keep me inside.  Oh, and to sample the cuisine of course.

6 years ago

I don’t understand why your cursing at me over a question I had regarding vacations & turning it into a opinion on continental differences. What does one have to do with the other       

6 years ago

Steve curses at everyone.  For every reason.  It's just Steve.  

6 years ago

I curse at everyone, because I like cursing. I'm talking about continental differences because you're considering traveling, and it's good to experience differences. Perhaps your unfamiliarity with my general tone means you've read my message as hostile, when it wasn't, it was just chocked full of fuck's.

6 years ago

Yea I guess I misread your messages because of the cursing. But yes I look to travel all over 

6 years ago

Then yeah, I'd definitely recommend Europe. Great place, lot's of variety.

6 years ago

My long absence from the site separated me from knowing a lot of the new members in the post 2013 time period. Since I’ve been on the site since 2007