Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

New Article: The Different Sub-Genres of Horror

5 years ago
by @henshaw_13

It's a nicely written article on horror, a genre which is distinctly lacking on this site. Looks like it was submitted weeks ago and has been languishing there, ignored. Thank God I came along!

Okay, now for a group activity.

Let's all kill an article, together. Now that articles live or die by my whim, I wish to be a benevolent god and extend a small taste of this power to all of you, the little people. In this thread I will be taking votes on which article sucks the most and needs to be replaced.

Will already cleaned up the worst of them way back when but, there are still a few somewhat...lacking. Either outdated, or a bit too obviously written by well meaning but still ultimately retarded 12 year olds.

5 years ago
I was just thinking of making a thread titled, "mizal obtains power: will she self-destruct like bad mod kiel?"

But I suppose this thread will do.

I wonder if bets will start to be taken...anyone know the over/under on days until self-immolation?

5 years ago
You're being ridiculous. I'm waiting until I get made a real admin for that.

5 years ago
Some megalomaniacs can bide their time well, while others simply cannot rein in their attempts to exercise power.

5 years ago
Mizal for Mod 2018! Get a free button for a campaign donation.

The article How to use Perspective looks pretty weak. Plus, no one reads it and we talk about perspectives a bunch in the forums anyway. For example, Will11 just made a post about perspectives.

5 years ago

Will still has article powers though I don't know if he's done anything lately with the articles. Probably not since he said he's been busy.

5 years ago

After that, I give it six weeks.

5 years ago
I think the over/under on mizal going full bad mod Kiel, should she ever get full powers, is somewhere in the range of 2-3 hours, so I'll put you in the "over" camp.

5 years ago
12.5 seconds

5 years ago
If you guys knew about the seventeen secret admin accounts I already possessed you'd change your tune.

5 years ago

Did Kiel give them to you in exchange for selfies?

5 years ago
I'm not her type.

Thank God.

5 years ago

Well I guess we can see for realisies now, she's a full admin now.

5 years ago
Holy fuck.

I need to get to a computer brb

5 years ago
There are FIVE buttons above every post, I am disoriented and bewildered this is far too many

5 years ago

5 years ago
You edit locked my typo BUT I FIXED IT ANYWAY

this power, it's incredible

5 years ago

5 years ago

Congratulations are in order.

Somebody start the timer...

5 years ago
started at 8:14.10PM EST and going

5 years ago

We may also want to discuss the possibility of reducing the number of articles by way consolidating them.

But as for things we should perhaps kill.

This http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=28
Because we should never encourage this anyway.

This http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=31
Because if anything it's very unprofessionally written and I can't think of any story that has ever used this.

This http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=4287
Because it is incomplete and fails to explain its intention or purpose. Clicking on it for the first time was disorienting at best.

This http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=138
Because I've never seen how it was needed or helpful...and I want to destroy my friend's legacy.

Just like you Mizal, ask and beg for a responsibility, then shell it off on others.

5 years ago
Quiz article links to a myadventuregame address, lol. Yeah, that one's pretty old. And ThisisBo's is one I was looking at too, really kind of questioning the need for that one. I could transfer it to a thread credited to him to preserve it for the historical value maybe.

Stryker's is definitely going to go. Even the title is unhelpful. The basic idea is good though and I'll be adopting it and more importantly, keeping it updated. (Not very reassuring for any noob to see a list of important happenings on the forum...that hasn't been updated for a year and contains broken links.)

The problem with consolidating the articles or even doing heavily editing of the existing ones is that they're tied in a permanent way to the profile of the original author. So many of these people are long gone by now as well it's questionable to do even less extensive edits, there's no way to get permission for changing things around and putting words in their mouth.

Honestly I've wondered for a long time whether we need pretty much a clean sweep on these, but we'd need to have more professionally written replacement articles ready to go.

I'm going to be working on a few for the storywriting section I've wanted to do for awhile (I'll be able to free up my profile again, yay!) and I'm thinking some kind of visual guide to basic scripting complete with screenshots and helpful arrows going 'click here' might be useful given some of the noob threads we've seen, but I've fallen hilariously behind on my contest story right now so I'll be juggling priorities for a bit there.

>Just like you Mizal, ask and beg for a responsibility, then shell it off on others.

Please. As if you could understand the great weight I must now bear on my shoulders, alone. It's a miracle I'm able to keep going. Most people in my situation would have given up by now, and while it's true many have told me how brave I am, being responsible for these articles is just exhausting. It wears down my very soul. I have had even the most callous and cynical long time members weep for me while I stand stoically beside them telling them what I have endured in the past few hours.

But, enough about me. This thread is about all of you, 'the Lilliputians' as I so fondly think of you now.

5 years ago

@mizal , since you are an admin, can you update this article if you have the time?

http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=45

Go to the bottom and you'll see this:

Further Resources

Hopefully this has been enough to give you a basic idea of what scripting is all about. We've only touched on a small amount of what's possible with scripting, so once you're comfortable with these basics, feel free to look at these other articles:

• Intermediate Scripting - [coming soon] Building off of the knowledge learned in The Basic of Scripting, this article introduces the concept of Destination Testing & Setting, Random Numbers, and Inventory Manipulation.
  • Random Encounters/Events: A Scripting Scenario - [coming soon]
  • Various Scripting Scenarios - [coming soon]
  • Advanced Scripting - [coming soon]  Builds off of Intermediate, covers everything else, including setting Link Text, Page Text, etc, and offers some advanced ideas and techniques.
  • Scripting Reference Guide - [coming soon]  A boring Reference Guide designed for experts to use as a reference to the Scripting Code language

5 years ago
Thanks, I'll take a look when I get to my computer in a bit. Let me know if you notice anything else, I think you're looking at these more closely than anyone has in years.

5 years ago
Anyone else have opinions about the How to Make a Map article? It's the one I'm most on the fence about. It seems kind of...pointless? But so far nothing about it actively offends me.

Also:

'To Article Editors: Please shape this into something that is easier to understand if you can. Please delete this when you make changes.'

I can tell whoever it was that used to accept these things really read them closely.

5 years ago

If it doesn't add anything, than it distracts instead. That's my thought on the matter. It's a very lengthy article with negligible value that fails to explain numerous aspects of actually "Making a Map"

So this works like a "Draw my attention" thread right? We get measly servings of points for this?

5 years ago
So you need to be bribed to participate in a thread?

Is that REALLY what you're saying, Ug?

5 years ago

No, I just prefer it. I'm a very busy man.