Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Storygame lengths :]

3 years ago

I´m a little bit new here and was wondering what the numbered lengths of story games mean. Are they allowed chapters, or just a rating?
Thank you!

3 years ago
I'm not sure what you mean by allowed chapters, but it's assigned by the site from a formula based on a few things, like the number of pages it contains etc. The actual word count is probably the biggest factor and you can hover over the length rating with a mouse to see that.

3 years ago
Mizal answered the question, so I won't repeat the answer.

I will instead add that publishing in chapters is discouraged here, rather than being the expected, as it is on some linear writing sites. Having multiple parts for a story can be done (where each part can work as its own storygame), but generally, if you can have the whole thing be in one longer story, as opposed to a bunch of shorter ones, then that is the way to go.

You should also only publish finished works as well. No demos, and don't publish 'for feedback'. There is a sneak preview feature that can let people read unfinished storygames, which is how you get feedback (if you want it). The Writing Workshop is a good place to share such sneak preview stories.

Also, back to chapters for a second, on this site, chapters are an editor feature that helps with keeping track of pages. Readers never see them, so they're only for organisational purposes. Figured I'd mention this in case you haven't messed around with the editor yet.