Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Saw the new Dune movie. Here's my review: It was nice. Seemed like it was aimed at a mainstream movie audience though. I like the Sci Fi Channel miniseries (for all it's goofy production values) better. Too much of the novel's rich world-building was left out so Villeneuve could shoe-horn in a bunch of prolonged action sequences that were left off-stage in the book. Would it have killed them to mention the Orange Catholic Bible? And I thought the film's portrayal of the Weirding Way (the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood's rapid-fire martial arts fighting technique) was kind of lame. Wish they'd just made this movie on a smaller budget so they wouldn't have had to water it down to appeal to the Joe and Martha Six-packs of the world. The movie was good for what it was, but I was still kind of disappointed.

My Dune Review

2 years ago

I liked the winks and nods to the worldbuilding without being a wikia article. My only problem with the movie was the lack of the word "jihad"

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Yeah, they should have had "jihad". Specifically, they should have mentioned the Butlerian Jihad. The fact that their society has outlawed thinking machines is so integral to their society and why melange is so coveted. I do think they should have had the banquet scene from the novel, since that conveys so much information. The scene added for the movie where the Emperor's envoy comes to Caladan for the ceremony of officially passing the baton of Arrakas fiefdom conveyed very little important information about the characters or their society. I honestly think the scene in the David Lynch movie where the Guild comes to talk to the Emperor gives us so much more useful information. 

My Dune Review

2 years ago
I also agree that it was alright, except for the opposite reasons.

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Tim36D, what reasons are those?

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Just saw the new Dune movie.

Almost had a facial expression.

Looked pretty in places, but was meh overall.

Still like the mini-series more so far.

My Dune Review

2 years ago

The first half of the miniseries gave so much more of the book's world and characters than the new movie.

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Also going to add that the 80s Dune movie still had the best over the top evil degenerate Baron

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Kenneth McMillan's scenery chewing was HILARIOUS! R.I.P., Harkonnoen candy striper. :(

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Though as much as McMillan's baron was hilarious, McNeice's baron portrayed him a lot better. (While still making funny barbs here and there)

My Dune Review

2 years ago

Ian McNeice was always entertaining as the Barron. Almost like a Batman villain from the 1960's TV show. Charmingly fay but extremely evil. Glad they did the Children of Dune miniseries so he could come back as one of Alia's evil racial memories (why the Reverand Mother called her an abomination).