Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

How do you do a battle system?

one year ago

I want to make like a mech gundam story-game. But I want to actually make it so there are actual battles like a text-based RPG. However, I'm too technologically inept to do such a thing.

Is there a baby mode for someone like me who has never interacted with variables? I know there's an article, but I need something even easier?

I was going to pm someone like Killa or even Berka, but I figure they're too busy, and also that Killa hates me. So I will ask the general populace.

Asking for a friend here.

Like maybe even a level-up system.

I may reward the greatest answer with points. However if someone was to do it for me as a co-author, I will pay you minimum wage with CYS points.

No, actually, I want all the credit for my story-game. 

Still, there are points to be had, possibly. I have to speak with mizal or someone like End on a limit cap maybe... I don't want to disturb the delicate ecosystem by doing inflation.

I know many people don't read the Advanced Editor forum, so this might be a waste of time. Still, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

one year ago
The most basic would be to give both the PC and NPC the following:

Stats:
- Health

Actions:
- Attack
- Defend

It can be very simply hard coded fights where the NPC is controlled by dice rolls, the most basic of which could be something like 1D2 split (50/50 chance) to attack or defend. The player can then do whatever they feel is best.

After creating a simple system like this you can easily add more stats like Stamina, MP, or whatever is relevant to the plot and give more actions like Heal, Special Attack, etc.

The behind-the-scenes script is just checking if the health of the player is over 0, health of NPC is over 0, and any action/link clicked will just be a script that lowers health or does something to the stats of the PC/NPC based on their choice (or in the NPC's case, based on a dice roll).

And you're right, alexp's original basic scripting article goes through a simple combat system as an example.

one year ago

Where's my mana bar, Ford?

one year ago
The more options you want, the more complex it gets.

In other words, you could have a super-simple slap battle where the only choice to slap. You'd still need variables to track your health and the target's health (unless one slap wins). You'd also have to have random numbers to determine the battle outcome. You'd need some IF statements and pages to process the outcome of the battle.

If you want things like weapons, defense, armor, choices of attacks, ranges, and things like that, well, each option adds exponentially to the complexity of the battle. You can actually spend months planning out the math and mechanics of the combat system before you even try and consider how to implement it in code.

And levels? Yet another layer of complexity to track and maintain.

But yeah, it can be done and it's not too hard if you are a programmer. There's no simple mode, though.

one year ago
I wouldn't say you had to be a programmer or even know anything about programming, really you just need to be comfortable with variables because you'll need multiple interacting. Once you have your basic attack and defense set up though, everything else just uses the same concept.

one year ago

I think you gave me a background template code for a WIP. If it's something like that, I can just have you do everything, Ogre. With absolutely no credit as well. It'll be like a real game company. 

one year ago

Here's an article I once wrote on a battle system

This might be a bit too hyper-specific for what you're asking, since it doesn't include a mechanism for leveling up.  But it probably wouldn't be too hard to code one in.

one year ago

I only will really need attack, defend, and stamina or "spirit gauge" for special attacks. Oh, and of course health and enemy health. Doesn’t sound like much, I think. 

one year ago

https://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=81

tsmpaul was a brilliant lunatic with the gaming portion. I learned a lot about combat and items from that article. 

An old man dodders in, drooling over a massive staff. He shakes a gnarled claw in Ford's direction.

"IRRELEVANT!" he screams.

one year ago

Ah, the ancient text.

one year ago
Naw, I dont hate you. You keep things interesting around here, and actually contribute.

As for a combat system, your best bet is to swindle someone into being a coauther and doing the scripting for you, as learning how to do this takes a certain mindset and time. They should be able to make all the code on one page, then tell you how to get players there.

For the work itself, it depends on how interactive you want it, which is something only you can say. Do they select their weapon and attack, do they select a combat "stance", do they get the option to fuck off into space if they decide to nope out, etc?

one year ago

I'm probably going to have to go with that route, Killa. I'm not sure I have the time or mindset, unfortunately. But I will try at first to see if I can cobble something together.