Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Fandoms

one year ago
Are we allowed to make fan-stories for certain books/movies/shows etc.?

Fandoms

one year ago

https://chooseyourstory.com/Stories/Fan_Fiction.aspx

Anything that isn’t Warrior Cats.

Fandoms

one year ago

Feel like I'm going to dig myself into a pit here, but, uh, ...what's the deal with the whole no Warrior Cats thing? 

Fandoms

one year ago

A long time ago, there was an influx of WC fan fic that wasn't any good (like it even could be). This lead to the admins having to crack down on these horrible stories and have them all removed and then, subsequently, banned. That's the gist of it, at least. I wasn't actually around for this.

But really, it's not even worth the time to talk about it more in depth. 

Fandoms

one year ago

Here's the detailed explanation Mizal gave me. (Thanks, Mizal. I still appreciate it.)

Years ago, the site was flooded with retarded furry eight year olds who were all obsessed with Warrior Cats. All the games people put actual work into were being knocked off the new stories page by half a dozen or more fanfics a day--literally all just one identical format of join tribe, meet [opposite gender] cat, go hunting, have cat sex and kittens. And the authors would freak out and attack anyone leaving a comment that pointed out things like the lack of spelling, grammar, plot...

They were being obnoxious all over the forums as well, and this at a time when the only active admin didn't have full powers for banning people. When one of the original mods, JJJ did come back he tried to control it in various ways. We had a forum for roleplaying and other games back then, that had to have a bunch of rules added and was eventually removed because they were trying to do cringe preteen "flirting" while pretending to be cats and it was a fucking war crime to have to read it.

He put in the 48 hour delay between creating and publishing a storygame that we have now to help control the flood a little, but eventually it just went to a blanket ban because none of these kids would listen and none could be convinced their non existent "rights" weren't being trampled on.

At first mods just went in and unpublished all existing stories, but they were still being made at a steady rate, and we realized that those unpublished stories still showed up in Google results and were attracting more cat children who just obliviously went on to use the site as a litter box. For awhile it got so bad the site name was actually part of the Google autocomplete for "Warrior Cats game".

And so that's when the final solution was enacted, and anyone who remembers those days still has PTSD and just doesn't want to deal with that shit ever again. Even now, years later, an admin search for certain key words will still turn up a few new fanfics that slipped in like cockroaches while we had our backs turned.

Fandoms

one year ago

Damn. Mizal just described like, my whole preteen expierience. Funny. I'm actually one of those kids who found this site way back when the whole Warrior Cats fiasco was happening. I actually specifically remember searching up, "Warrior Cats Adventure Game" and that's how I found this site. I never made an account or anything back then, just lurked, as I have been the past 7 or ish years. Anyway, thanks for telling me. I've been wondering about the whole thing for a long time, and just finally got up the courage to ask. 

Fandoms

one year ago

Nuh-uh.

I posted it first.

Fandoms

one year ago

Yes, yes you did. Victory is, as always, yours.

Fandoms

one year ago

We can’t all have the fastest hands in the west.

Fandoms

one year ago
Thanks to both of you!