Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

10 ways to make better games

19 years ago
these are just 10 ideas i have for making better games. they arent fool proof or written in stone but i think the average writer on this site could benefit from them.

10. A good name or Title for your game. You must have a catchy title for people to notice before it will even get a chance to be played.

9. A good description for your game. Stop putting "A great game." or "An interesting game." Put something with meaning, this could be a good place to put the background of your story so that you dont have to spend story pages getting everyone caught up on the action.

8. An interesting concept. Stop making stories with no originality. The best games on this site are full of original ideas.

7. A background or detail page. As i said in #9 you need detail. There is nothing worse than having the game start out with "You are a warrior. What do you do?" or "You are being attacked now what?" Give detail as to why you are there who are you where are you? Answer WHO?WHAT?WHERE?WHEN?WHY?HOW?

6. No mocking other peoples stories. I wont be the first to say that this is getting boring. Nothing worse than someone who hasnt made a good game themselves making fun of someone else. You want to show that you can make a better game than someone, then do it. Dont mock someone who took the time to make a game that you didnt.

5. Flow. You must have it for a good story. This is most likely the biggest problem with beginning writers. A game must flow in order to keep the reader interested.

4. No begging for people to play your game. Stop posting that noone has played your game. There should be a rule that you cant say that unless you have played every game on this site and posted a message on each one first. Which, ive been here awhile and ive yet to play everything.

3. Look at other peoples styles and develop your own. Dont just start writing and end up with a mess. Study other works and learn their styles.

2. Dont assume your inside jokes or your humor will carry your game. Humor is nearly impossible to work into a game. Only a few people have made this work on this site and its because all their friends are on this site too. Dont make a game just to be funny, it wont work.

1. Spend more than 10 minutes making a game. Just to give you an idea, I spent over 5 months making my first game. And it wasnt even that good.

sorry for venting but in order for this site to be good we need to stop complaining that our games arent being played and keep making new ones. If anyone wants to send hate mail to me you can reach me at [email protected].

nate

re:10 ways to make better games

19 years ago
Those are some *excellent* suggestions, Nate!

Thanks.

re:10 ways to make better games

19 years ago
yes, those are good, will try to follow some of those, and i never mock other people's work, because mine would likely be worse than those so it is pointless.

You are 100% right.

19 years ago
You caught my attention with this post. Well put, and the 10 points themselves are perfect. It's hard to for visitors to stay interested as well when games are sub par. But many people have truly put some time and effort into games and should be praised for it. Good tips nate, and keep up your own good work on your games.
march5th00

11 years ago

This advice is very helpful. Honestly I was a guest for, 2 years. Now I'm making my own story and number 9 and 7 is very helpful. That is annoying. If I wanted that I'd go to a second grade classroom.

11 years ago

... Your reply brought back a thread older than five of my cousins.

11 years ago

I believe Fleshy has made this into an article. I was slightly confused while I read this until I realized it was seven years old.

11 years ago

This is mostly YOU DON'T SAY crap that applies for everything.  That's what I hate about many of the writers on this site, because they fail to fulfill the basic parts of any narrative/story.

Extra advice: Try making a single-branch story like normal.  Then, see which crucial elements would create another branch in the story, and work on that until you're done.  Rinse, lather and repeat until you've decided that there are no more branches to fill up.  That means that you have to do EVERY SINGLE BRANCH, even if you don't want to.

11 years ago

Listen to the Zombie Thread of Ancient Days (or it will eat your brain).

Nom nom nom...

11 years ago

For a minute i thought this post was actually a little current. It is nowhere near that though..... good advice i guess haha

9 years ago

All of these are great tips! I don't really agree with #2, since I'm doing a very loose and funny game called Myrtle the Turtle right now and it's going great for me, but it could be different for someone else. Other than that, though, these tips will really help me! Thanks! smiley

---

No need to necro this thread - go read the following Article, thanks - The MODS

10 ways to making better games

5 years ago
All great advice from 14 years ago. Except for #6, of course.

That article though, eww. I can see why it was removed from the list. Who accepted that and did they even look at it first?