Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Christian music

15 years ago

So, what's the opinion around here on Christian music.  I don't mean hymns, and I'm not especially meaning the pop contemporary stuff either.  I'm talking about bands and solo artists who are making music with great artistic quality and either overtly Christian lyrics or a Christian worldview, etc.  I'm a huge fan of Jon Foreman and his band Switchfoot.  They inspire me so much.

Christian music

15 years ago

I don't like or dislike it, (im a christian too btw)

All That Remains (metalcore, don't think it's what you're looking for) has some songs about God and others about just making the right decisions in life. I'll post some lyrics if you'd like.

Switchfoot is pretty good.

Riley

Christian music

15 years ago
manafest, Pillar, Anberlin, Jeremy Camp, KJ-52, Relient K, Thousand Foot Krutch, TobyMac, Trust Company, 12 Stones and 38th Parallel

are all decent bands.

Christian music

15 years ago
Hell yes to All That Remains and Switchfoot. Some other good artists in the "christian hardcore" category include The Devil Wears Prada, Alesana, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Avenged Sevenfold (has biblical references in almost every song in the album City of Evil, not really Christian by any means), and if you're into underground stuff, my friend has an underground christian-metal group called Beneath A Burning Sky www.myspace.com/anhouruknown (that might be their site, if not, go to my myspace page www.myspace.com/somekindaevidence and on my top friends should be a band with "BABS" in their name.)

As far as Christianity goes, I believe. I'm just not into having it fed to me or cults<---aka Catholicism (basically church sucks). I like youth groups, though, because they promote Christianity in a positive way, rather than saying "FUCKING BELIEVE IT YOU BLASPHEMOUS TURD!!! IF YOU DON'T GO TO CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY, I'LL SEND YOU TO HELL MYSELF!" I also am not into the "christians" like my uncle who goes to church to mooch off them for money and other dumb shit.

Family Guy quote:

"Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub! YAY GOD!" -Some chick saying grace.

Everyone's prolly like...he believes in God? WTF mate?

Christian music

15 years ago

Awesome!  Looks like you guys listen to some pretty great stuff.  Other than, like I said before, Switchfoot and Jon Foreman's solo EPs, I've been listening to a lot of Underoath, Skillet, Flyleaf, Disciple, Anberlin, Esterlyn, Red, and Ten Shekel Shirt, and The Wedding lately.  But then I also like the stuff like August Burns Red (if you're reading this, you should check out their cover of "Carol of the Bells"--it's the best Christmas song with a breakdown ever), As I Lay Dying, War of Ages, Norma Jean--you know, the hard stuff.  Plus I like to go to more worship oriented concerts, like Casting Crowns, Third Day, Kutless, Building 429, that kind of stuff.

Avenged Sevenfold--definitely not a Christian band, but I do enjoy their sound, even if they're not something I'd listen to all the time.  And, yeah, they have tons and tons of biblical references, and I've been able to use that as kind of a springboard to talk about, you know those kinds of biblical themes and redemption and what not.

As for those types of Christians you're talking about, I totally understand, 'specially seeing as I used to be one of them. (The in-your-face, you're-going-to-hell, wear-the-right-clothes, listen-to-the-right-music kind, mind you, not the goes-to-church-to-mooch kind. )  It reminds me of the words of the apostle James, basically that pure and undefiled 'religion' is to care for the poor and the widowed.  There are so many churches that have totally forgotten about Jesus and everything He ever said and did to get into petty arguments over man-made rules and ordinances, and it really breaks my heart.

But anyway, come to think of it, I really should've titled this thread just "Music" because I'd really be interested in a general survey of what, you know, everyone is listening to these days.

Christian music

15 years ago

Okay I'm fairly like, anti-religion myself, but there's a great Christian metal band called Demon Hunter that you might want to check out. My mother just bought two of their albums for me from a Christian music/book store and I thought they were pretty good.

Christian music

15 years ago

Underoath does some pretty good screamo, but I hate the way they acted at warped last year.