Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

It feels weird

13 years ago

I've been here since technically 2005, and became Jimi in 2006...But Where's the life? I drop in every now and again...but it's always the same people who come around, I just remmeber a time with people like bobmcbob, just popped up and raised hell around here. Being here for so many years, it's weird now

It feels weird

13 years ago

Forum activity has declined a bit, definitely. But I don't really enjoy posting much anymore either, most of the threads are just people making vulgar jokes, it's not really my thing.

It feels weird

13 years ago

I just joined recently, and while I find the troll hunting amusing, I do intend on doing more than that. I'm currently working on a story (I've been learning how to use the advanced editor) that I don't think has been done before. Hopefully, with the efforts of other members (I've seen some projects in the works in the Writing Workshop), life will return to the forums and the site.

It feels weird

13 years ago

not likely thanks to awesome...

It feels weird

13 years ago
Congrats on learning the AE. Really good idea there. The Basic Editor is not worth your time.

It feels weird

13 years ago

Thanks, though I got the idea from you, haha. You suggested it to many other new people, so I took up on that early.

It feels weird

13 years ago
Hahaha! That's excellent. Yeah, it helps a lot in the long run and it's way more fun.

It feels weird

13 years ago

If you're feeling up to it, try to learn scripting. Some of the stuff you can do with it is amazing. That's only after you've figured out the AE though. If you need help JJJ can probably help you. I haven't been using scripting for a couple of years because some of it doesn't work but if JJJ's offline then feel free to ask me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help out.

It feels weird

13 years ago

I butchered a test story trying to understand scripting. I've read the articles and still am clueless. THe only thing I know of scripting is %%VARIABLE%ACTION%VALUE%TEXT%% (which isn't even scripting at all) and that you can automatically move items into your inventury (mommy).

It feels weird

13 years ago
Reading the articles isn't enough, you need to read them and actively learn them. There's a common misconception in modern culture that you can just absorb information in a passive state. If you truly, actively, pursue knowledge from a source of knowledge, you cannot possibly fail. Sometimes it takes a great deal of time and energy, but your only opposition is yourself. I know for a fact that you can learn scripting from those articles, because I have myself. Go back and read each paragraph over and over and don't move on unless you understand.

It feels weird

13 years ago

Amen.

It feels weird

13 years ago

- Don't move on unless you understand.

The problem is, first of all, I don't get why Alex included that mess of variable changes when he followed up by saying "It's easier to just use the Variable Change." After that, I read the next paragraph 5 times and could not make sense of it. I copy-pasted the article into my test story and still couldn't understand it.

It doesn't matter, I'm not using scripting in Negativity. I just got a brilliant idea today and will incorporate it if I ever make all the pages before the base entrance.

It feels weird

13 years ago
What's tough to understand about that section? He says that you can change a variable with scripting or variable changes but variable changes are easier for simple variable changes. If you want to change a variable with a clause like IF the player has a skill of 5, add 50 gold, its easier to use scripting.

It feels weird

13 years ago

Maybe if my IQ heightens, I'll be able to understand it. 84 is enough to type.

It feels weird

13 years ago
You're smarter than you give yourself credit for. Just read it thoroughly and if you don't understand it, read it thoroughly again but from a different angle.

It feels weird

13 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into scripting once I'm comfortable with the rest of the AE.

It feels weird

13 years ago

JJJ, I swear you've been an influence since I got here...I never really took the site seriously until a while ago...We joined around the same time...and look at the difference

It feels weird

one year ago

Jimmy's last thread during the last bit of the mafia season and just before the BHB season.

And lol at October's comment about vulgar jokes during this time. 

That hadn't even begun to get started.