Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 6/19/2012: there's no need for a chat room or instant messager or whatever that is, we have forums

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
I've been on here for a few weeks now, and I think that the website would definitely be benefited by a Chatango page, especially when talking about story ideas, much easier than posting in the forums anyway...

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
A what?

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
LOL You can't be that clueless.... *sighs* fine you now have a link http://chatango.com/

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
there's no need for a chat room or instant messager or whatever that is, we have forums. the only reason it would be hard for you to post in the forums would be if you didn't have the memory to remember the post you're replying to. If that ever happens you could 1.) have your brain checked out for short term memory loss or 2.) look at that handy-dandy copy of the post you're replying to at the top of the page ^

So yeah, no real reason for it, so even if Alex was the most active programmer ever, it wouldn't be accepted. Keep looking for more helpful ideas though, they do occasionally get implimented if they're good enough.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
and if Alexpex is on.

Also, this idea has been rejected multiple times. Therefor, I doubt it would be accepted now.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
I don't understand why this is rejected. The problem with forums is the amount of time it takes for someone to reply whereas an instant messenger is much more quick and efficient

Chatango Page?

12 years ago

Um.....not quite.

It takes a while for them to reply since they are not online, if they were online their reply would be fairly quick (we've had some conversations in some of the games go by pretty quick).

In the end not enough people tend to be online enough for this to be worth it.

Also we have no access to change the site....so....

Speaking of which why does this section even exist? Just to allow people to dream?

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
I don't know first hand, but I can imagine that back in the day at least one of the three creators were on pretty often, so they were able to see the problem and respond to them.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
It takes roughly the same amount of time to reply as an instant messager, the only difference is you have to press the enter button rather than hit the enter key. I'll explain why it isn't as efficient below.

Another reason it would be rejected besides the point that there's no reason to make one if if we take the average format of an instant messager function for a website (the most recent reply being in the bottom, with the list of comments in a little box on the corner of the screen, and the recent comments push the newer comments farther up in the box untill they disappear.) and the average size of the messages posted on the forums, you can tell that it will get confusing to read all the posts. Because our posts are so long, and we often have a problem with double-posts on our more active days, it wouldn't be too hard to see that several messages would be pushed out of the chat box before we could read it. That means that our posts could get pushed out before we could read, which would not only leave the user feeling rejected if he/she thinks were ignoring their comments, but it could make us miss out on a good comment.

Plus, the forums allow us to communicate on anything we please. You want to talk about your favorite book? There's a forum with that. Found a bug with the site? There's a forum for that. Need help with writing a story? there's a forum for that. Basically, you can communicate about anything on the forums, while in a chatroom you could have multiple people talking about multiple ideas at the same time.

And you can't forget that the forum system allows you to leave your computer for a while when you're doing things around the house or going to work or whatever it is you do during the day. With a chatroom or instant messanger, you have to stay on the computer to see new updates about the topics you're following, while with a forum, you can simply look at all the comments at any time without missing anything important.

So no, it wouldn't be more efficient. If anything, it would be less efficient. It's great that you want to help the site, but you have to comprehend everyone's side before you act like there's no reason not to impliment your scenario. Otherwise we might end up with another Repealing the Back Button scenario, and no one wants that.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago

How is it that you always explain things perfectly? :)     (oh, but you do have a spelling error: 'he/she thinks we're ignoring their comments')

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
xD Such a long explanation and THAT'S what you're pointing out?! Nice.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
It makes me happy that's all people can point out :)

Chatango Page?

12 years ago

See? I cause no harm. There really wasn't anything worth pointing out anyway.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
The question is, does Bo approve? :D

Chatango Page?

12 years ago

Personally, I think that if you want an instant messaging program like Chatango, use an instant messaging program like Chatango. The odds of this site getting a new update within a year are approximately the odds that Bob will come back and make a good game. And I can tell already that the admins probably won't be too keen on this idea.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago
Bo tends to be long winded.

Chatango Page?

12 years ago

*bump* I also say no to a chatroom...